Anti-spill tailgate mod.

• HTML tutorial

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

While this mod is not as cool as my Excursion barn door mod, it should help some of you out.
FB_IMG_1475212827608.jpg
That is a cup holder commonly used on boats sunk into the top of the barn door.

I found tailgates are not well designed for our lifestyle. And after spilling a few beers while unpacking and a coffee or two cooking breakfast I figured there had to be a better system.
While at IMS buying steel for the roof rack build it hit me. I should just skin it. So I ran out and took some measurements and had a sheet of aluminum cut to 20x60.

20170415_183941.jpg
Finshed product. I traced a spray paint can to get the corner profile I wanted then hit the corners with a flap disk to round them.

20170422_102419.jpg
The screws I used. I drilled a hole just smaller than the screw even though they are self tapping screws. It is easier to control a drill than a screw. After placing a few in I noticed they would not go flush. So I put them all in other than the three in the two back corners. Then I found a drill large enough to get past the taper and pulled them out one by one to drill the aluminum to the larger size.

The back corners don't sit flat so a used a rubber mallet on the round over then pulled it down with the screws.

The other problem was the screws next to the tailgate latch interfered with the action. I took about a 1/4" off the screw and everything worked like a charm.

I still haven't decided on a final finish. I might hit it with bed liner or just leave it as is. I might grab a spun aluminum cup holder and sink it in to this one as well.

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I had actually planned on doing the same thing with 1/4" ply, and finishing it so it would be more countertop like.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk