Antherzoll's 2005 Volvo XC70 Vehicle/Trip Thread

• HTML tutorial

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Great thread! Those are some fantastic pics, they make me want to get out and explore more.

Between you and YoungSatchel, I really want to get out and do more with my '07 XC70.

Couple of questions:

Do you have any more detailed pics or info on what exactly you had to do to make those tires fit? I have 17" wheels too, and am interested in going bigger and more aggressive but I don't necessarily want to lift it. I'm not sure my original, 214k mile CV's would like that.

Did you notice a big decrease in fuel mileage after putting on the roof basket? I want to add one, but most of the time I'll just be running back and forth to work (60 miles) with it empty. The car is already bad enough on fuel as it is, haha.

Also, if you guys do some sort of northeast get-together, I'd like to go! I'm in Rhode Island.

Thanks!

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Great thread! Those are some fantastic pics, they make me want to get out and explore more.

Between you and YoungSatchel, I really want to get out and do more with my '07 XC70.

Couple of questions:

Do you have any more detailed pics or info on what exactly you had to do to make those tires fit? I have 17" wheels too, and am interested in going bigger and more aggressive but I don't necessarily want to lift it. I'm not sure my original, 214k mile CV's would like that.

Did you notice a big decrease in fuel mileage after putting on the roof basket? I want to add one, but most of the time I'll just be running back and forth to work (60 miles) with it empty. The car is already bad enough on fuel as it is, haha.

Also, if you guys do some sort of northeast get-together, I'd like to go! I'm in Rhode Island.

Thanks!
Hey!

Only thing I had to do to fit the 235/65R17 is removed the rear wheel liners, hammered the pinch weld at the rear door, installed the liner, then formed it with a heat gun. YMMV

The rack will tax MPG by 1 to 2 points depending on speed. Not the greatest, but is expected. I drive around with a roof load to quite often so it is useful, but if I'm on a light road trip I will remove it. It's not that hard to mount/dismount, but a second set of hand does help. I also 'flush' mounted the rack so it sits lower on the roof by mounting the cross bars tough the rack and using U-bolts to secure it. I think it looks better and should help aero a bit.

Enthusiast II

Usually west of the Rockies
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Pruitt
Fantastic Volvo and adventures! My wife and I got bit by the overlanding bug taking my 2000 V70 AXD XC out on roads it probably shouldn't have been but made it there and back ;) I ripped the factory plastic "skid plate" off on a 4X4 road south of the Hoover Dam...should probably get that trick skid you got

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Hey!

Only thing I had to do to fit the 235/65R17 is removed the rear wheel liners, hammered the pinch weld at the rear door, installed the liner, then formed it with a heat gun. YMMV

The rack will tax MPG by 1 to 2 points depending on speed. Not the greatest, but is expected. I drive around with a roof load to quite often so it is useful, but if I'm on a light road trip I will remove it. It's not that hard to mount/dismount, but a second set of hand does help. I also 'flush' mounted the rack so it sits lower on the roof by mounting the cross bars tough the rack and using U-bolts to secure it. I think it looks better and should help aero a bit.

Thanks for the info! I may give that tire size a shot, or perhaps just one size down from that to avoid any issues.

I'm debating the rack, I don't want to take the mileage hit full time, but can justify it on a trip. Maybe I'll pick up an inexpensive one and mount it like you did...I'm thinking the crossbars are fairly easy to take off, and if I leave it mounted to them it might be a quick job to remove and reinstall it when I need it. I want to keep most of my gear outside the car, so if I need to sleep in the car I have the room.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Thanks for the info! I may give that tire size a shot, or perhaps just one size down from that to avoid any issues.

I'm debating the rack, I don't want to take the mileage hit full time, but can justify it on a trip. Maybe I'll pick up an inexpensive one and mount it like you did...I'm thinking the crossbars are fairly easy to take off, and if I leave it mounted to them it might be a quick job to remove and reinstall it when I need it. I want to keep most of my gear outside the car, so if I need to sleep in the car I have the room.
Well, I might not have to buy tires. It rained today for the first time in a while, and I hit the gas in a spirited manner this morning to cross a busy intersection, and was greeted by copious amounts of front wheelspin and a flashing low traction light.

So, it appears the AWD is not working. A quick search show it could be anything from a $120 sensor to a $1500 angle gear replacement.

I'm going to take it to a Volvo shop, but if it's on the higher end of the price scale, that plus new tires exceeds the value of the car. At that point I may look for something else. I'm already looking for a older 4 Runner for a weekend beater, I may up my budget and look for a nicer one or a GX for a daily driver.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Well, I might not have to buy tires. It rained today for the first time in a while, and I hit the gas in a spirited manner this morning to cross a busy intersection, and was greeted by copious amounts of front wheelspin and a flashing low traction light.

So, it appears the AWD is not working. A quick search show it could be anything from a $120 sensor to a $1500 angle gear replacement.

I'm going to take it to a Volvo shop, but if it's on the higher end of the price scale, that plus new tires exceeds the value of the car. At that point I may look for something else. I'm already looking for a older 4 Runner for a weekend beater, I may up my budget and look for a nicer one or a GX for a daily driver.
Good luck.

I've replaced the collar sleeve, angle gear seals, AOC pump, AOC pressure/temp sensor, and the DEM all myself and all to keep the AWD operating... I often say, I wouldn't own a Volvo if I had to pay someone to service it.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Good luck.

I've replaced the collar sleeve, angle gear seals, AOC pump, AOC pressure/temp sensor, and the DEM all myself and all to keep the AWD operating... I often say, I wouldn't own a Volvo if I had to pay someone to service it.
Ouch. I consider myself quite lucky that this has been the first real problem I've had with this car since buying it 6 years ago at 90k miles.

Other than the timing belt, I've done all the work on it myself. Pretty much just fluid changes, brakes, and suspension/steering component replacements. Only surprise was a leaky coolant hose, took 15 min and 5 bucks to fix. I feel like with this problem though, it's better to just take it to a Volvo shop that will probably easily diagnose it, vs. me just throwing parts at it.

Or I may just dump it, I feel like I've been rolling the dice with it for a while now. I could get it fixed, but who knows if the next failure is right around the corner. Plus, I kind of just want something new (to me). I'm starting to do research on first gen GX470's now, haha.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Front and Rear subframe spacers

Got hooked up from my brother, gave him all of the dimensions and he fabbed me up a set. Could be done with less material, and I had to increase the ID of 2 spacers because of the subframe locating pins. They are 5/8 16mm thick. I was only able to install them and not really take it for a test drive or check everything over... I got called into work. Anyways, I feel like they're more of a supporting mod opposed to actually lifting the vehicle as they will reduce the angle that the control arms and other parts are resting at, but I'll take some measurements when I get a chance. Only Hardware that was required we're 4 M10x50mm bolts for the front subframe rear bracket. All the other subframe bolts had at least 30 mm engagement into the chassis. I should be good to go ahead and install the XC90 front end now along with a rear spring Mount spacer. [emoji16]

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Hiya everyone. Haven't checked in here in a while. It's been a busy winter between work and a new born, but man am I glad it's finally spring!

Here's a little update:
With the nice weather I finally got a chance to install the rear spacers I fabricated out of a 16mm thick aluminum sheet.

Previous to the install there was a slight rear rake, the spacers level out the ride nicely. Had to compress the assembly slightly to get the shock onto its mount, and locating the upper small spacer for the top bolt was a little challenging, otherwise the install was straight forward. Quite happy with how they turned out, but I'd like to replace the curt tow bar for a OE one because not only does the curt hang low which reduces the departure angle (and the illusion of more lift), but it's also rusted to **** and being visible from the rear it looks like sin.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Took care of this just today... finally, FINALLY! installed the front end XC90 bits that I've been hoarding.

Just to recap.

What we have here:
- Modified XC90 L&R Control Arms
- 2.5T XC90 L&R Axles
- 2.5T XC90 L&R Spindles c/w Hubs and balljoints.

What's been done and required to complete the conversion:
- XC90 336mm brakes
- XC90 Neptune 67.1mm bore wheels with 235/65R17

Control Arm Modification:

A press is required to modify the front bushing. Comparing the two pictures above you can see that the front bushing needs to be pressed in to match the stock XC70 bushings location. This allows the arm to fit into the XC70 subframe.

Installing the arm on to the subframe requires a washer to space out the front bushings slightly. The bushing is much larger than the XC70 bushing, a true HD upgrade, and with the washers places the ball joint in the proper location when comparing it to the XC70 arms. Also, some metal may need to be cut away from the weld around the bushing area.

Other than the control arms the rest of the install is straight forward. I had a hell of a time removing the driver's side axle, but when it finally popped it was all gravy. Alignment was way off post install, the wheels were toed out quite badly, had to adjust them enough to test drive it. Only took it once around the block and alleyways and so far no issues over the rugged pothole riddled roads of Toronto. Going to get it into the shop ASAP then give it a proper test drive.

Ride height seems unchanged and this is preferred as I didn't want the front end rake. The wheels are slightly more spaced out and just like I predicted, the spindle increases the tire/spring clearance by +12mm

So much room for activities... 245/75R17s...??? [emoji16] If any of you have followed or have read Team Ken's XC70 build you will notice that they took a new set of struts and modified them to increase the clearance. This modification allows for the same amount of clearance with mostly bolt on parts.

Quite a bit of work, but some of it was needed. Previous to this I was running the IPD HD arms... Enough said. The axles are a supporting modification thats required when lifting the vehicle as the stock axles can't handle the angles. While this modification will allow for the install of larger tires upfront, the rear would need to be further modified to accept a larger tire. I'm quite happy with the 235/65R17s as they handle well enough for my usage and they look quite balanced for the vehicle. I'll post back with alignment and test drive results. Not considering this a successful install just yet... Stay tuned!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Yakima Loadwarrior: 2x Extension, 2x the fun.

I've been running the Loadwarrior basket with 1x extension for a few years and it has served me well, but bigger is always better [emoji16]. The Volvo roof offers quite a bit of real estate to accommodate an additional extension to the Loadwarrior, so going against what Yakima recommends. While I always wondered if an additional extension would fit well, I got the idea to go forward with the install from another XC70 owner so I can't take all the points for originally.

What's been done to a accommodate and provide support for the rack is the installation of two additional load bars so that there is one load bar per section of rack. I could have just installed one more in the middle for enough support, but I a set of used bars so there were two to use up anyways. The rack is 'flush' mounted, the rack sits below the load bars and is supported using non-standard hardware from underneath. Purchased a set of 1" pipe-to-pipe locks from eBay for the job. I was under the assumption that they were stainless when I ordered them, but they were zinc plated and would need to be painted for use in the rust belt. Also installed between the contact point between the load bars and rack are felt pads for protection.

The rack feels rock solid, no movement what so ever, feels like it's a permanent fixture to the vehicle. The pipe locks work amazingly well and are easy to install, if you plan to use them be careful not to overtorque them as they will compress the rack bars. I'm quite happy with the way it looks and it should function much better with the canoe and pack as the longer span will make the canoe more stable.

Cheers.

1353170106.jpg1606279967.jpg410754613.jpg496007945.jpgIMG_20190609_175249~2.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Now that's what I call a battlewagon! Check out reddit.com/r/battlewagon if you haven't already.

I wish I could visit Canada. I got into some trouble when I was younger, and now I can't visit.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Here we are at 3 years and about 40k mi.

Not quite at the wear bar, but close enough that I don't feel confident going into winter with these. Looking at set of Toyo Open Country AT2 in 235/65R17 104H

While not a 3PSF tire, they get good reviews for winter driving, treadwear, and off road. I'm going to run the Kumjos down until the snow flies. Excited to get the Toyos on and try them out.

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Tanner
Quite a bit of work, but some of it was needed. Previous to this I was running the IPD HD arms... Enough said. The axles are a supporting modification thats required when lifting the vehicle as the stock axles can't handle the angles. While this modification will allow for the install of larger tires upfront, the rear would need to be further modified to accept a larger tire. I'm quite happy with the 235/65R17s as they handle well enough for my usage and they look quite balanced for the vehicle. I'll post back with alignment and test drive results. Not considering this a successful install just yet... Stay tuned!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Hey man can I get you to go into detail on what you did to the rear setup to accommodate the bigger wheel