Another WJ 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee DDable/Weekenderlander (slow project)

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks for the input guys, never and issue hearing from the guys that have done it ;) ... as for going up to a 4inch, I'm already getting grief for 1.5-2.0 and little bigger tires hahaha.. if I like it and the wife hates it and it becomes more mine, then family a 4inch long arm is in it's future.

and yeah I do completely understand the piecing together the kit being more expensive in the end... but also not sure it's going to need the adjustable arms yet, and I hate buying a kit and then rebuying half of it anyways.

I do absolutely agree with you on the air shocks, if I was trying to use them to combat sagging springs, or added lift, or anything other then just altering/tweaking how the suspension acts (and the added part of linking them for offroading, helping force the lower wheel of the rear axle down to the ground) .. which was actually the purpose of air shocks (and maybe occasionally added weight). But yes how I normally see people try to use air shocks they get a bad rap.

we'll see about the rear sway ... I've just seen alot of people have it plain get in the way when they start lifting

as for the armor and bits... I caught between building my own and buying premade ... my biggest problem is knowing in my head what I want, and trying to find premade stuff that isn't rediculously priced just cause it's for a WJ .. don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is really nice, and someone spent the time to figure exactly where it fits and cad parts, etc... but the simple rock sliders online will double in price by the time they get here to me, ie convert from US to CND $ and shipping. but for things like the tucked up winch mounts, the low profile crossmember those are definately worth the price. but personally for some tube welded up under my rockers materials and time I can do for less then the $800 it would end up costing me. and some of the parts are just WAY more heavy duty then I need... I just need a well placed winch, and something I can rub against trees and rocks, not 1/4 plate rock crawler bumpers haha
If I can interject, my old 98 WJ was sagging. I replaced the old springs with IRO 2" lift, and the perch isolators. I sure went up more than 2".

I dont know that you will need adjustable lower control arms for such a mild lift as 1.5 inches. Frankly there's not much you really have to change until you get to 3" or above - notwithstanding any worn out bushings or tie rod ends that need replacing

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
the other design conundrum is the rear bumper/tire carrier. I want to be able to access/open the rear hatch glass without swinging the tire out, gotta figure out the angle and how low it can sit while staying as low profile as possible, maybe a slight hinged tilt back. The other idea is something that swings out and down from the top ... i'm only going with a 32inch tire tops, but the weight up top and even with a swing down with gas strut help... I dunno if I wanna think about having to mess with something like that out on the trail.

** on a side note ... I went to start an order at HK for the winch mount.... see what the shipping was (ie if I could order it right now ) ... and on the product page "sorry there are no products that match your search" ... and it was there earlier over the weekend :(

Edit: nevermind I found it, must be a bad link on the pull down.... $650ish shipped (CND) ... oww, well that'll have to wait a little

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

the other design conundrum is the rear bumper/tire carrier. I want to be able to access/open the rear hatch glass without swinging the tire out, gotta figure out the angle and how low it can sit while staying as low profile as possible, maybe a slight hinged tilt back. The other idea is something that swings out and down from the top ... i'm only going with a 32inch tire tops, but the weight up top and even with a swing down with gas strut help... I dunno if I wanna think about having to mess with something like that out on the trail.

** on a side note ... I went to start an order at HK for the winch mount.... see what the shipping was (ie if I could order it right now ) ... and on the product page "sorry there are no products that match your search" ... and it was there earlier over the weekend :(

Edit: nevermind I found it, must be a bad link on the pull down.... $650ish shipped (CND) ... oww, well that'll have to wait a little
(Correction, I have a 98, not a 98)

Does HK offroad no longer make the Kratos? It was a WJ rear hatch mounted spare tire carrier. Because of the way the WJ hatch was made, the Kratos sat kind of high on the hatch. You wouldnt be able to open just the hatch glass, but the entire hatch would still open easily enough. While it did obscure the view out the rear window, I suppose that wouldnt matter if you had a backup cam

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
(Correction, I have a 98, not a 98)

Does HK offroad no longer make the Kratos? It was a WJ rear hatch mounted spare tire carrier. Because of the way the WJ hatch was made, the Kratos sat kind of high on the hatch. You wouldnt be able to open just the hatch glass, but the entire hatch would still open easily enough. While it did obscure the view out the rear window, I suppose that wouldnt matter if you had a backup cam
I looked at that on their site, just seems like a whole lot of weight to place on the hatch assembly that it was not designed to handle. I wonder what the long term affects on the hinges and the strut mounting locations would be. The new hatch struts that come with the carrier have 375 lbs of push each, way more than what the little factory mounting points are designed for, not sure if you get beefed up mounts for them or not, would hate to have one let go while standing under or near the hatch. Of course carrying a reasonable size spare rather than a 37 inch tire on a beadlock would be a lot less weight and stress. Also is the structure in the tailgate going to prevent flex and cracking at the mounting points of the carrier itself. (They do have a lengthy list of things to watch for and cautions on their listing - i.e. they are not responsible for any issues..lol) Not having to swing a carrier out every time you want to access the rear would be nice however and I really do not use the rear view mirror much anyway (Back window is always covered in muck or dust and i am used to driving big trucks without rear windows)

Their winch mount does seem to get good reviews, and is on my short list. (having trouble deciding if I want to keep the front factory bumper or go with a full winch bumper. I currently have hidden mounting brackets on the front end for the tow bar we use behind the motorhome, thinking i might use some square tubing to create a platform that plugs in to the mounts with steel cross members to mount a winch on. then I can remove it when we are in grocery getting mode. perhaps if I can adapt it to mount on the rear receiver hitch if needed to pull backwards. If i can get the HK hidden mount to work and keep the towbar mounts that would be ideal. do not really want to add any more extra weight then i have too.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to reach-out to HK directly with any Qs. He was super responsive and helpful for me.

-TJ

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
Other then not wanting to find out what my hatch can handle .. I do intend to have other things on the rear swing out .. just the tire will be the one taller 'in the way' .. so even with the spare not on the swing out, i'd also have to still swing out to lift the hatch. Other then daily simple access (ie like grocery shopping), depending on how the side access works there may be a couple quick hook ups/switchs on the back of the storage wall offs behind the hatch/window

This is also the vehicle the wife will get the keys too on a normal basis if needed, so being prepared but also 'easy' to use for daily things is a priority

as for the HK hidden winch mount... from all accounts and what i've seen .. it's a fantastic idea for the WJ, and I would love to provide them the cash for their creation and such... but shipping and conversion rate MIGHT make it a better choice personally for me just to make my own

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
So looks like my WJ is getting the tank tuck a little sooner then originally planned haha. since sitting at home then going back to the shop to do the front end, the fuel gauge has decided it only wants to show the level like 10% of the time, and then when we finally got the rebuilt trans for the Ram it was holding in place out back it didn't want to start, no fuel pressure... could hear pump run, but nothing at the rail. change plans move truck, etc. go back to jeep to see how messed up drivers seat frame is, jeep starts, dunno if it's a filter thing (or the sock) or part of the module itself, either way guess I'm ordering a pump and going for it 'soon'.

if anyone wants to know or cares, the drivers seat frame is BAD ... I stripped and welded up what I could for the bottom but the back still wobbles (sorry no pictures ) , and the cushion is basically gone on the left butt/thigh area is basically gone. gotta see if I can order the power seat from a wrecker near me too I guess. (just happened to be a wrecker with a grey cloth power seat near me supposidely in good shape )

need to talk to local fab shop about steel plate pricing ... I think i'm just gonna get a bunch and make all my own stuff at this point .. the stuff online is REALLY nice and would do wonderfully .. but the price for me after conversion to CND$ and shipping (its steel, its heavy) more then doubles .. ie $300 US purchase = $650 ish CND by the time it's too me (and thats not counting the taxes/duty raping i'll get when it comes over the border that's always a toss up)

the other FUN part right now ... is its sale time at the parts supplier so I'm trying to grab the expensive bits for the Challenger at pretty big discounts while I can, and all the tent trailers that need some love are popping up cheap right now .... so I'm trying to spread my time/money on potentially 3 diff projects haha ... and the shop is currently still operational ...

so .. stress high, money ..meh ... time... next to nil ... so .. pretty standard I guess

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
Still no progress on the fuel tank, or winch mounting/fab work (again, shops still running, and Challenger parts! LOL ) .. and the Fuel pump will be an order in thing.

However with all the WJ stuff I've seen about the fan swapping and stuff I'm starting to wonder if I should start looking into a different Rad and swap back to a mech fan on my 01 . it's the 4.0L not the v8, and it has the goofy looking factory elec fan in the shroud. to my knowledge it's never had any overheat issues, but it was never used for anything other then daily driving. I intend to tow with it, but have no intention for it to yank anything over, 2800lbs... maybe. however it may be asked to yank said weight up mountain highways (atleast one of which is well known for finding any slight defect in your cooling system LOL )namely the coquihalla highway for anyone that watches/watched HIghway through hell. Once, mayyybbee, twice a year, everything else will be local.

Ideas?

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Ideas?
[/QUOTE

The likely failure is the electric fan controller. Common to just go out at the most inconvenient time. But, like the 99-00 V8s, part of the tow package includes a 5 blade mechanical fan/fan cutch to help the electric in severe service. The 5 blade mechanical alone can't handle stop and go traffic or ac on (sometimes yes and sometimes no), but it certainly will get you home. If your cooling system is otherwise in good shape, just find a junker 4.0 with tow package and rob the mechanical fan and you are good to go. Keep the electric and add the 5 blade and you will have the factory heavy duty cooling system. Us guys with the V8s are paranoid because the V8 is unlikely to survive even 1 overheating, and with the power steering system hydraulic set ups, we have a huge single point of failure. Loose power steering and loose the cooling too. So that's why I did what I did to my V8 WJ.