• HTML tutorial

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US

2002 Silverado 2500hd 6.0l
Extended Cab Long Box
175,XXX

She definitely needs some maintenance and some fun stuff. I've done a few things but I joined to get more ideas to make it a more capable overlander. Or at least a great camping rig.

Things I've done:
-Airaid MIT w/ AEM dry drop in filter
-Flowmaster 50 series with dual exhaust (not an off road setup but quieter than the straight pipe I ran for a year)
-Turned up torsion keys to level
-new 265/75r16 (bought them to replace ragged 255/85r16's and didn't have the funds to buy bigger. Hopefully bigger someday)
-new Kenwood head unit with Rockford Fosgates in the front. Stock speakers were shot. My wife got me the upgrades as an anniversary gift! She's a keeper.

Maintenance done so far
-had 3 exhaust manifold bolts fixed. They were broken off. Common 6.0l vortec problem
-new calipers, brake pads and lines in rear. Had done by a mechanic. Wish I had had the time myself.

Maintenance to do soon
-need to do front brakes. Plan to do this myself to save some money. Might do upgraded parts on front.
-sensor issues: knock sensors need replaced (another common Vortec issue), may need a MAF sensor (tried cleaning to see if code will stay away), and I think the O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter.
-should probably do a fluid flush. Only done oil changes the couple years I've had it. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.
-need to have some steering components replaced too. Had it checked by a mechanic a long time ago but I forget what he recommended.

Fun Off Road plans
-aux lighting front and rear (hope for have some front lighting by September for camping trip)
-Simple complete leveling kit wit new Bilstein 5100 shocks.

I don't want a big lift because I don't want to run big tires. And I don't want it's road manners changed for long trips on highways. But the Bilsteins will be awesome because the shocks on it now are worn out.
-255/85r16's when my current tires are done. I love that size and miss the old BFG M/T's I used to have. Hope I can still find the size.
-tune of some kind. I have a Hypertech that I bought off of a friend awhile back. Mostly use it to read the dtc codes. Been holding off running a tune because of my sensor issues. Would rather find a shop to tune if at all possible.
-recovery equipment. Need a good jack to go with the tools I already carry in my toolbox. I don't have anything fancy yet.

I really hope to keep this old dog running and do some fun stuff with it. I don't want to replace it if I don't have to because I do love it. And I'm hoping to get lots of good ideas from your forum. A little inspiration goes a long way!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Foltzwagn

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ephrata, PA
Member #

Welcome! Happy to see another fully size gm.
As far as your lift plans, Lift keys will make it ride like a brick. I have a 4in rancho lift on my duramax with the torsion key bolts all the way out and it rides great. Also if you do plan on doing any offroading the torsion key lift will ruin your cv axle angles. just some things to think about.
Bilsteins are great shocks though and I definitely recommend them.
But anyways I'll be following to see what you do! Rock on

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Welcome! Happy to see another fully size gm.
As far as your lift plans, Lift keys will make it ride like a brick. I have a 4in rancho lift on my duramax with the torsion key bolts all the way out and it rides great. Also if you do plan on doing any offroading the torsion key lift will ruin your cv axle angles. just some things to think about.
Bilsteins are great shocks though and I definitely recommend them.
But anyways I'll be following to see what you do! Rock on
Thank you for the advice. That could be part of why mine is riding rough now, but mostly my guess is the suspension has 175k on it haha. With my keys turned up now, the CV's don't look too angled but I wouldn't want to damage anything. What all did the 4" Rancho lift include?

Foltzwagn

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ephrata, PA
Member #

Thank you for the advice. That could be part of why mine is riding rough now, but mostly my guess is the suspension has 175k on it haha. With my keys turned up now, the CV's don't look too angled but I wouldn't want to damage anything. What all did the 4" Rancho lift include?

I was actually lucky enough to buy the truck with the lift installed. It has differential drop brackets, spindles, and torsion bars drop.
Changing the shocks should definitley help the ride, mine was really rough until I swapped out the 11yr old rancho shocks that were installed when the truck was new. There are so many different things that can cause a rough ride on these suspension systems.

Reactions: maxfederle89

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Welcome to OB! I have an 03 2500 6.0 Suburban so can relate to wanting better off road drivability. I never felt the need to hot rod my burb since I don't tow alot and performance is adequate for me. Simple drop in K&N. I am looking to replace the OE intake tube with Air Raid and stock air box. Want to keep it simple. Suspension and tires is what I invested most dollars in.

The IFS is the weak link on these trucks so I went with Cognito UCA and lift keys with Fox 2.0 shocks. The UCA will correct the geometry/ride quality (2" of droop) from just adjusting. Heavy duty tie rods are also a must if off-road there are options from PPE, Kryptonite, Cognito and Rare Parts.

Or you can go with a 4" lift from various companies like Zone, Cognito, RC, BDS and Rancho. The nice thing about the Cognito is I can still get a 4" suspension lift and works with my existing setup for a total of 6" of lift. I've taken the burb through it's paces and has gone anywhere a full-size can go very Happy thus far. Obviously doing so has me thinking more lift as there are trails I like to try that will need more cleance with 35"s. Anyhow keep us in the loop.

Cheers!

My build: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/4762/

2003 Chevy 2500 Suburban - overland build

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Welcome to OB! I have an 03 2500 6.0 Suburban so can relate to wanting better off road drivability. I never felt the need to hot rod my burb since I don't tow alot and performance is adequate for me. Simple drop in K&N. I am looking to replace the OE intake tube with Air Raid and stock air box. Want to keep it simple. Suspension and tires is what I invested most dollars in.

The IFS is the weak link on these trucks so I went with Cognito UCA and lift keys with Fox 2.0 shocks. The UCA will correct the geometry/ride quality (2" of droop) from just adjusting. Heavy duty tie rods are also a must if off-road there are options from PPE, Kryptonite, Cognito and Rare Parts.

Or you can go with a 4" lift from various companies like Zone, Cognito, RC, BDS and Rancho. The nice thing about the Cognito is I can still get a 4" suspension lift and works with my existing setup for a total of 6" of lift. I've taken the burb through it's paces and has gone anywhere a full-size can go very Happy thus far. Obviously doing so has me thinking more lift as there are trails I like to try that will need more cleance with 35"s. Anyhow keep us in the loop.

Cheers!

My build: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/4762/

2003 Chevy 2500 Suburban - overland build

Great looking Suburban! That's a rare one. Don't see many 6.0's
Can I search "Cognito UCA" and find the kit you're running? I'm intrigued! I'll check out your build thread later today. Thanks man!

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Just installed a Penda liner today! I work for an auto parts supplier so I got it for a great deal. My bed was so beat up I'm just glad it looks better. I know it limits me from installing a topper but that hasn't really been my plan. Things could always change but I have a pretty nice big tent that needs put through its paces.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Great looking Suburban! That's a rare one. Don't see many 6.0's
Can I search "Cognito UCA" and find the kit you're running? I'm intrigued! I'll check out your build thread later today. Thanks man!

Yes it's the same kit for SUV and truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Did a little tune up today. Got a set of plugs, wires, new MAF sensor, and air filter. Didn't get any more pictures because I ran into a few issues and was pushing to get done before the sun set (that's what I get for wrenching in the Walmart parking lot). It's a little tough putting plugs into the Vortec motor. Kind of a long reach and awkward angles. Sad to say one of the new spark plug wire boots broke so I ended up reusing the old ones and taking the new ones back to Auto zone.

Broke down and bought one of these expensive MAF sensors. It seemed to do the trick. Whenever I would reset the P0101 code my truck would start up and run rough for awhile. Once I replaced it, idle was completely smooth again and the engine seemed to run good down the highway. So I'm satisfied for today. I'll see if my check engine light stays off.

Been contemplating new shocks for my upcoming camping trip. Been reading all the good things about Bilstein 5100's and the high end Ranchos. But my trip to Auto zone today got me considering Gabriel Ultra Truck shocks. I've heard a lot of good about them. Or at least "good enough" over having worn out factory shocks. And the low cost coupled with a lifetime warranty is appealing too. I also factored in how much off roading my green monster would really be doing and it won't ever be anything as challenging as most of you guys do. So those are all the factors I'm considering. Whichever route I go, I'll post pictures and what my observations are on ride and quality.

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Did a little tune up today. Got a set of plugs, wires, new MAF sensor, and air filter. Didn't get any more pictures because I ran into a few issues and was pushing to get done before the sun set (that's what I get for wrenching in the Walmart parking lot). It's a little tough putting plugs into the Vortec motor. Kind of a long reach and awkward angles. Sad to say one of the new spark plug wire boots broke so I ended up reusing the old ones and taking the new ones back to Auto zone.

Broke down and bought one of these expensive MAF sensors. It seemed to do the trick. Whenever I would reset the P0101 code my truck would start up and run rough for awhile. Once I replaced it, idle was completely smooth again and the engine seemed to run good down the highway. So I'm satisfied for today. I'll see if my check engine light stays off.

Been contemplating new shocks for my upcoming camping trip. Been reading all the good things about Bilstein 5100's and the high end Ranchos. But my trip to Auto zone today got me considering Gabriel Ultra Truck shocks. I've heard a lot of good about them. Or at least "good enough" over having worn out factory shocks. And the low cost coupled with a lifetime warranty is appealing too. I also factored in how much off roading my green monster would really be doing and it won't ever be anything as challenging as most of you guys do. So those are all the factors I'm considering. Whichever route I go, I'll post pictures and what my observations are on ride and quality.

Yeah the last plugs are set pretty far back I had a hard time getting to those out. If it weren't for that can be done in an hour it took me 2.5hrs. it's just hard to reach and awkward angle to get leverage. For shocks I vote for the Bilstein 5100. You pay a little extra but are perfect for what you intend to use it for (Street/offroad).

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Yeah the last plugs are set pretty far back I had a hard time getting to those out. If it weren't for that can be done in an hour it took me 2.5hrs. it's just hard to reach and awkward angle to get leverage. For shocks I vote for the Bilstein 5100. You pay a little extra but are perfect for what you intend to use it for (Street/offroad).

Yeah it ended up taking me that long too... I was kind of disgusted with myself it took so long but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

I'm really torn on the shocks. I want Bilstein's... On another forum I read "buy once, whine once".... Thanks for checking out my posts [emoji106]

Reactions: BRATZKE and boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Yeah it ended up taking me that long too... I was kind of disgusted with myself it took so long but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

I'm really torn on the shocks. I want Bilstein's... On another forum I read "buy once, whine once".... Thanks for checking out my posts [emoji106]

If you go by that saying jump to Fox 2.0 they are rebuildable..lol

https://norcaltruck.com/chevy-gm-2500-3500-2001-2007/shocks/

Last edited:

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Well, turns out I am going to be posting my old Chevy on Craigslist. Overland bound has been a great inspiration to me and I found a new project vehicle.

2001 Laredo 4.7L V8 w/ Quadra Trac II
Mechanic owned. Engine spun a bearing and he put a new bottom end in and had the heads machined a few thousand miles back. Transmission also started slipping so he put in a new torque converter. He even put some eBay shocks and a steering stabilizer on. He needed a pickup and traded it after driving it for 3 years or so.

And now I have owned it for 2 days! This is my first ever Jeep. I was a GM guy and a pickup guy but my brother in law has been working on me to get a Wrangler like him. Let's say I like to be different. I will probably start a new build thread for this one. Hopefully there are some WJ owners here that can get me stated on the right foot here!

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Well, turns out I am going to be posting my old Chevy on Craigslist. Overland bound has been a great inspiration to me and I found a new project vehicle.

2001 Laredo 4.7L V8 w/ Quadra Trac II
Mechanic owned. Engine spun a bearing and he put a new bottom end in and had the heads machined a few thousand miles back. Transmission also started slipping so he put in a new torque converter. He even put some eBay shocks and a steering stabilizer on. He needed a pickup and traded it after driving it for 3 years or so.

And now I have owned it for 2 days! This is my first ever Jeep. I was a GM guy and a pickup guy but my brother in law has been working on me to get a Wrangler like him. Let's say I like to be different. I will probably start a new build thread for this one. Hopefully there are some WJ owners here that can get me stated on the right foot here!

How different can you be than overlanding a k2500 suburban ?? Lol. I have a 2001 k2500 8.1L 4l80e and the factory air ride suspension. She is creeping up on 300,000 miles and wouldn't hesitate a cross country drive.20161224_105809.jpg

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

The worst part (for me) of cranking the keys up it drastically increases oversteer. I am up in the Rockies and the roads around here are like spaghetti . If you miss a corner due to oversteer you would hit from a 10 ft drop up to 8~900 ft.
I turned my keys back down and started looking at proper lifts.
Bill #9810

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

T

Those plugs are reachable from the wheel well. I just pull the front tires and go at it.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
How did you fix the exhaust manifold bolts that fell off? I had one fall off on mine.