Another camping drawer/slide out project (Jeep JK)

• HTML tutorial

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I've been trying to figure out a design for this for a while. I originally wanted two large drawers on the bottom, a slide out shelf for my cooler, and a slide out table. However, with my vehicle being a 2 door JK, I need all of the space I can get for the rest of my gear. My compromise was a lower base, cooler slide out shelf to the left and then I plan a small drawer below it. I'm also building a slide out table to go under the base on the right. The space on the main platform to the right is just the right width and height to allow my two camping gear totes to stack on top of each other and not hit the sport bar.

Still a work in progress, and I'll update this thread with more pics as I continue. My plan is finish the build, sand it, primer it, and paint it black. I have some thin Rubbermaid shelf liner that works really well and I plan to use that on the cooler shelf and where my totes go. The slide out drawer is similar to a butcher block and I plan to leave it natural wood grain and just seal it. Any tips on sealing it would be great. Right now I'm thinking mineral oil/bees wax from an article I read.

This was my weekend project hunkered down in the garage from hurricane Florence.
PZZKMMBPRcSb+zE4DBcmow.jpg 1zq6PORZSrKZoMKdWXWrPg.jpg AUJqrs2XR2Ov1rwgGiv2Xg.jpg CQceoA5%RouXpMfxpG0q8A.jpg

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I manage data centers, and these are actually from retired Sun server equipment. They are manufactured by a company called Slide King. I really like them because they lock in both the in and out positions. Capacity/weight wise, these should be sufficient for my cooler, but I still need to do some testing.

https://www.kingslide.com/products_category_list/?category=UndermountSlide

fullsizeoutput_8b2.jpeg

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Thanks Ben.

Here is the update for this weekend. I was able to get the slide out table built and installed, got the anchors installed, and then focused on sanding, priming, and painting. I got the entire base completed, just need to work on the shelf and table and then I'm done. The anchor idea came from someone else's build - j-bolts in the front to hook onto the footman loops for the seat, and angle brackets bolted into the floor in place of the factory tie downs on each side. To remove it, simply loosen the j-bolts remove two anchor bolts from the brackets and lift it out.

vpl5nxbRSzS42md2UzOfnw.jpg XKd6eTmhTDq+hegcILy%Kg.jpg IMG_5119.JPG n5Yo0Q99R%maDYMmPaURLA.jpg

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
So here is the "finished" product. I used the quotes on "finished" as just like a Jeep, you're never really done with the mods. Once I had it installed and started to think about it, I'm already contemplating mounting my 2000W power inverter like where it is in the pics, then running cables back to my deep cycle that I can have behind the driver seat. I considered putting the battery inside the base, and modifying the slide out cooler drawer to slide over it, but my battery is too tall. Hmmm, maybe a little smaller battery... I'm also considering using the rest of the leftover wood, and making a shelf that will tie into the left side, go over the driver side wheel well, and tie in to the points where the hard top would mount. Maybe in the 2.0 version.

I decided to leave the pull out table natural and just sealed it with Mod Podge (clear, water proof, and my daughter several bottles of it). The cooler drawer was painted with Krylon truck bed spray, and has a little bit of a texture to it. I think it will work well. I decided to re-use the tie downs that I removed in order to bolt it down, and installed them on the front and back of the cooler drawer to tie down the cooler. They fold down when not in use, the front one can be used as a pull for drawer, and they are not mounted to the top, so it remains a clean, flat surface when the cooler is removed.

I loaded it up with 5 full gallons of water, and a six pack of 16oz bottles of water as a weight test. No issues.

My next project that is already in progress is an awning that will mount the soft top! Can't wait to get that finished. Hoping to have everything ready for the American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous 10/25-28 here in North Carolina.lJE9Z9%HRn2cQL+M7kepkQ.jpg yKIWaMz0RDag0oXSAy1HGQ.jpg n6o8ORZUSGSe4AXBBs7cTg.jpg

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Thanks. My plan was to provide the functionality I needed, and keep it minimal as far as the build. So far, I think it worked out well. I'm sure I'll make changes along the way, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

I did something very similar with my first drawer build where I left a slot for a folding table. Have you had any bowing issues with the cooler fully loaded? That forced me to redesign without the vacancy below.

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I did something very similar with my first drawer build where I left a slot for a folding table. Have you had any bowing issues with the cooler fully loaded? That forced me to redesign without the vacancy below.
I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, so I'll have to report back after I go to the Appalachian Rendezvous in a couple weeks. I don't anticipate any issues with the main platform, but now that it's all together, I'm a little worried about the wood in the center, holding the rail for the cooler. I may need to figure out a good way to brace it, so it doesn't explode while I'm actually on a bumpy trail.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, so I'll have to report back after I go to the Appalachian Rendezvous in a couple weeks. I don't anticipate any issues with the main platform, but now that it's all together, I'm a little worried about the wood in the center, holding the rail for the cooler. I may need to figure out a good way to brace it, so it doesn't explode while I'm actually on a bumpy trail.
I ended up running a piece of 80/20 aluminum extrusion across the lip that worked pretty well but then I didnt have enough space for the table[emoji24]

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
I know this is an old thread but your project is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, even down to the cooler you are using. Thank you for the inspiration, especially the materials and hardware you are using.

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
I know this is an old thread but your project is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, even down to the cooler you are using. Thank you for the inspiration, especially the materials and hardware you are using.
Rick - thanks. It has worked out pretty well. I do need to add a brace at the back of the cooler side (behind the driver seat). It just has the wood where the rails mount to right now, and could use some additional support to keep everything square due to the weight of the cooler. It worked out nicely on my Georgia Traverse trip over New Year's.

I'm also considering covering it with auto carpet or a rubber mat of some sort. I have half just painted black and it's kind of slick. The cooler drawer is painted with truck bed liner which is better, but I'm not real happy with how it adhered to the wood, even though I used a primer.

I'm interested in seeing your build, if you decide to move forward.