Android Tablet for Gaia???

• HTML tutorial

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Hey guys. New to the nav app world and want to dip my toe in the water. I've always been a paper map guy, learned to do that in the military and have always liked it. But, I think I'd like to add Gaia to my rig even if just out of curiosity.

So, what's the starting point for an android tablet that has GPS built in? Not interested in doing the iPad-extra-puck thing at this point.

Will something like this do the trick?
I've been exploring the same area of our national forest for the last 13 years and now essentially have the "basemap" loaded in my head. That's great, but it helped me miss essentially all the nav app developments for the last decade...

So, help me start catching up. Thanks in advance.
Kevin

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
that's the exact tablet I use and it works great. The price on Amazon fluctuates a lot on that item, I got mine for $149.99. You can add it to your cart and keep checking the price or use a price checker app from the play store. I use "Price Tracker For Amazon"
I like the tablet for my needs, the GPS works great. In addition to Gaia and Avenza maps, I also use it for the Torque app with a Bluetooth OBD adapter for engine parameter display.
the size works for me but I've noticed a lot of people use a bit bigger tablet. I don't really have room for anything bigger

0327191455.jpg

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Mine arrived today and I'm downloading the map of the area I frequent the most in the national forest. Working like a charm so far.

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
Avenza Maps is also a great app as it lets you use most national park/preserve maps and shows you where you are on those maps, zoom in/out and it's mostly free0526191606.jpg

Last edited:

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Maybe I missed something but what is the model of this unit? I'm not too excited about doing the ipad. Will this mentioned unit be able to download gaia maps?
Tks
Samsung Galaxy Tab A...I use mine with GAIA and a Garmin inReach Explorer+

Reactions: tundra21

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Liveoak, I want to know what you have in your 1st gen Toyota that will allow it to run 80 mph down the road.

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

that's the exact tablet I use and it works great. The price on Amazon fluctuates a lot on that item, I got mine for $149.99. You can add it to your cart and keep checking the price or use a price checker app from the play store. I use "Price Tracker For Amazon"
I like the tablet for my needs, the GPS works great. In addition to Gaia and Avenza maps, I also use it for the Torque app with a Bluetooth OBD adapter for engine parameter display.
the size works for me but I've noticed a lot of people use a bit bigger tablet. I don't really have room for anything bigger

View attachment 99714
The Tab A has GPS module built in? This is a pretty good size for me too.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Yes it does for sure. I was skeptical at first as it isn't listed in the Amazon description but I have it and the GPS in the tab A works better than the GPS in my phone.
Any secrets tpo using it? Gaia on mine shows the map, but not my position or movement. Location services is turned on.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

IMG_0247.JPG

Using the Samsung Tab E and Gaia. The Tab E GPS works good for what it is. I found the Gaia software on Samsung to be a bit rough compared to IOS. If had to start over, I’d buy the new iPad and a good GPS puck.

Reactions: The Travelin' Taco

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

View attachment 102049

Using the Samsung Tab E and Gaia. The Tab E GPS works good for what it is. I found the Gaia software on Samsung to be a bit rough compared to IOS. If had to start over, I’d buy the new iPad and a good GPS puck.
Being an iPhone user I couldn't agree with you more about how the app is on a Samsung. I couldn't justify the cost of a new iPad with cellular (that I wasn't going to use) just so I could have the GPS or an external puck and picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) before our last trip. Overall it worked great and it actually had less crashing issues than my buddy with his iPad the whole weekend but the interface just feels smoother on the iPad.