West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Hi all, and I hope the Holiday Season was kind to all. One year ago I bought my first Jeep-branded product, a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk edition. As this awful year progressed I put a set of rock sliders on it, a 3/8" steel sump plate, transmission armor (to go with the factory armor already installed), and thanks to Santa, a 10k winch, a steel lower front bumper, nudge bar and recovery gear has been added to the grand.

So basically....All dressed up and no place to go.

I've spent hours (days?) watching Venture 4WD, EFRT, Trail Recon, The Road Chose Me, and others but the fact is we live in northern NJ, where the only legal wheeling is at a pair of paid off-road parks 3 hours away and that are focused on rock crawling. So with winter here and the camping gear stowed safely in the basement I'm considering a major road trip for whenever the Covid monster allows us to move about the country without facing mandatory quarantines, or putting my old/fragile body at risk of catching this thing. My thought is late-summer or early fall. Driving out to Moab, then the Rim Rocker trail to CO, and take on as many trails in both locations as our vacation time allows; I'm figuring 3 weeks including the drive both ways. I'll be 60 when this happens, and my wife in her 50s; neither of us in prime physical shape, alas (round is a shape, innit?).

Being 2000 miles away from the fun stuff, and brand-squeaky-new to the whole endeavor, the fact is we don't know anybody to get involved with.The local Jeep clubs here in NJ are focused on rock crawling, beach trips "down the shore", and excuses to add 40s, 4" lifts, and so on. Not my cuppa. At all. And with a WK2, it's mostly not even possible. My ideas of vacation paradise are mountains, camping by stunning scenery, and maybe earning a few Jeep Badges of Honor in the process. Treading lightly, wheeling responsibly, and, fates willing, meeting some wonderful people and making a few new friends along the way.

I have no intention to become a You Tube personality (I have a face made for radio, and a voice made for Morse Code), but I would sell my soul to experience the beautiful scenery that those famous folks have brought into my living room this past year. I can't do this for a living as they do since we have responsibilities back here, and honestly, I can't throw $75,000 or $100,000 or more into a custom build.

So with all that said (and sorry for boring you with the details), how can I break this down into bite-sized chunks of planning that won't overwhelm me at every step? Other than Covid safety, and New Jersey's strict quarantine laws, the immediate roadblocks that I see are as follows:
  1. We're too inexperienced to overland alone
  2. 2000 miles away from clubs full of experienced folks, thus no way to "network" with experienced overlanders
  3. A vehicle that's a bit less capable than a tricked out JK/JL/XJ/TJ, etc.
  4. No clue how to plan an itinerary, find the right trails to plan for (and know which ones not to try with my WK2)
  5. How to learn correct and safe spotting and recovery techniques from skilled people
  6. We don't yet know what we don't know. I am willing to learn and put in hard work but I don't know how/where to even begin. Our Grand Cherokee is our daily driver, so keeping it safe and sound, and unbroken, is high on both of our priorities lists.
So that's where I am at the moment. I've learned a lot of theory from the YouTube crowd, but now I need to put it into practice. Thanks for following along, and sorry for the boring, rambling dissertation <grin>. Just layin' it all out there and hoping for some honest advice. Buying a new Jeep and slapping on an Ursa Minor and 37s ain't happening. We're ground tenting for now. We can't afford a RTT, and the thought of climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night 2 or 3 times (grumble) is something I'm not too sure I'd like anyways. So that's where we are, and I'm hoping we can get this into a less-frightening master plan. Please and thanks in advance.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Your cherokee is a great platform to overland with. sounds like you have a great start on the gear. I would probably add a RTT to it instead of the ground tent. Plan some places to go, use gaia and plan routes. Add a small lift and bigger tires to the GC to give you a bit more clearance. You don't need experience or a JK built to the tits to overland. I have had 2 patriots and did just fine. Being by yourself, get a spot or inreach platform and just drive. If you get in trouble, the spot/in reach will send help when you tell it to. We go by ourselves, I am an experienced driver, outdoorsman and I have moderate survival skills. In my opnion, JUST GO! You will learn as you go, and have a crap ton of fun doing it too!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
There are quite a few people enjoying the Pine Barrens and trans NJ trail near you.

We have a 2015 Cherokee limited and we hit the Rothrock Bald eagle area quite a bit. Which is about a 3.5 hour drive for you.

Since you seem to want to just enjoy the outdoors. You got some good places and scenery near you...and you got the better Grand Cherokee for the job Lol

You have no need for any mods to hit the places around you. And there are lots of places to see.

Check out these threads. There are more but these will get you started

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Your cherokee is a great platform to overland with. sounds like you have a great start on the gear. I would probably add a RTT to it instead of the ground tent. Plan some places to go, use gaia and plan routes. Add a small lift and bigger tires to the GC to give you a bit more clearance.
The Trailhawk WK2 uses air suspension like the new Land Rover Discovery (and others). There is no practical way to lift it short of replacing the entire suspension, which I can't afford. I have the biggest tires on that will fit without severely modifying the front end--again, it will be on-road 99% of the time. I have Falken Wildpeaks at 265/65R18 (stock size is 260/65/R18), and 1.25" spacers all around.

I love Gaia GPS, and if one is on federal land it looks ideal. But most of the country I can't find anything on the MUVM layer. This means "experience needed" in finding places to go.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hi all, and I hope the Holiday Season was kind to all. One year ago I bought my first Jeep-branded product, a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk edition. As this awful year progressed I put a set of rock sliders on it, a 3/8" steel sump plate, transmission armor (to go with the factory armor already installed), and thanks to Santa, a 10k winch, a steel lower front bumper, nudge bar and recovery gear has been added to the grand.

I've spent hours (days?) watching Venture 4WD, EFRT, Trail Recon, The Road Chose Me, and others but the fact is we live in northern NJ, where the only legal wheeling is at a pair of paid off-road parks 3 hours away and that are focused on rock crawling. So with winter here and the camping gear stowed safely in the basement I'm considering a major road trip for whenever the Covid monster allows us to move about the country without facing mandatory quarantines, or putting my old/fragile body at risk of catching this thing. My thought is late-summer or early fall. Driving out to Moab, then the Rim Rocker trail to CO, and take on as many trails in both locations as our vacation time allows; I'm figuring 3 weeks including the drive both ways. I'll be 60 when this happens, and my wife in her 50s; neither of us in prime physical shape, alas (round is a shape, innit?).

Being 2000 miles away from the fun stuff, and brand-squeaky-new to the whole endeavor, the fact is we don't know anybody to get involved with.The local Jeep clubs here in NJ are focused on rock crawling, beach trips "down the shore", and excuses to add 40s, 4" lifts, and so on. Not my cuppa. At all. And with a WK2, it's mostly not even possible. My ideas of vacation paradise are mountains, camping by stunning scenery, and maybe earning a few Jeep Badges of Honor in the process. Treading lightly, wheeling responsibly, and, fates willing, meeting some wonderful people and making a few new friends along the way.

I have no intention to become a You Tube personality (I have a face made for radio, and a voice made for Morse Code), but I would sell my soul to experience the beautiful scenery that those famous folks have brought into my living room this past year. I can't do this for a living as they do since we have responsibilities back here, and honestly, I can't throw $75,000 or $100,000 or more into a custom build.

So with all that said (and sorry for boring you with the details), how can I break this down into bite-sized chunks of planning that won't overwhelm me at every step? Other than Covid safety, and New Jersey's strict quarantine laws, the immediate roadblocks that I see are as follows:
  2. 2000 miles away from clubs full of experienced folks, thus no way to "network" with experienced overlanders
  4. No clue how to plan an itinerary, find the right trails to plan for (and know which ones not to try with my WK2)
  5. How to learn correct and safe spotting and recovery techniques from skilled people
  6. We don't yet know what we don't know. I am willing to learn and put in hard work but I don't know how/where to even begin. Our Grand Cherokee is our daily driver, so keeping it safe and sound, and unbroken, is high on both of our priorities lists.
So that's where I am at the moment. I've learned a lot of theory from the YouTube crowd, but now I need to put it into practice. Thanks for following along, and sorry for the boring, rambling dissertation <grin>. Just layin' it all out there and hoping for some honest advice. Buying a new Jeep and slapping on an Ursa Minor and 37s ain't happening. We're ground tenting for now. We can't afford a RTT, and the thought of climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night 2 or 3 times (grumble) is something I'm not too sure I'd like anyways. So that's where we are, and I'm hoping we can get this into a less-frightening master plan. Please and thanks in advance.

Let me start by saying Welcome to the Team from Upstate NY.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

Now let me dive right in on your six roadblocks listed above.
1. This is just my opinion - everyone starts off the same when it comes to Overlanding so I really don't think you're too inexperienced here to jump right in. Now I can only speak for myself here; I have a ton of road miles for work, a ton of hours camping with my pups, and I still find myself planning out some off the grid trips from ME, VT, NH, and upstate NY (Of course the first 3 destinations are subject to the COVID travel restrictions being lifted). I would also like to point out that you don't have to drive 2000 miles to find some epic off the road adventures that you can take the GC-Trailhawk on.
Have you watched the Ultimate Adventure, or Dirt Everyday? You'll find some wicked off the grid fun here on the east coast, and don't get me wrong MOAB is on my bucket list as well.
So to close this one out - You are never too inexperienced to jump in and hit the road.

2. Now that you find yourself on this venue you have wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. Networking - you couldn't have picked a better venue to join

3. Unless you're looking to Run some sick trails that you can find on the Ultimate Adventure or the 24 hour Hell & Back Trail Challenge the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk should do the job just fine. I spent years in a Ford Edge on weekend trips from AZ to Mexico.

4. Now don't follow my advice here, you will find some great planning treads on this forum. I just toss the pups in the truck and I hit the road, the destination planning usually happens on the road.

5. I'm right here with you on this, I'm going to look for some recovery classes that I can take since I just picked up a winch for my Ram.

6. You learn as you go, I would just make sure you have the basics - another great video on Youtube - Overland Bound - 3-day Packout, the 3 cases to pack, and the two minute camp kitchen

** If things open up between the TriState this spring, IM me as Hunter Mountain NY has some great off the grid trails that I would be more than willing to meet you on the trail.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Let me start by saying Welcome to the Team from Upstate NY.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season.

Now let me dive right in on your six roadblocks listed above.
1. This is just my opinion - everyone starts off the same when it comes to Overlanding so I really don't think you're too inexperienced here to jump right in. Now I can only speak for myself here; I have a ton of road miles for work, a ton of hours camping with my pups, and I still find myself planning out some off the grid trips from ME, VT, NH, and upstate NY (Of course the first 3 destinations are subject to the COVID travel restrictions being lifted). I would also like to point out that you don't have to drive 2000 miles to find some epic off the road adventures that you can take the GC-Trailhawk on.
Have you watched the Ultimate Adventure, or Dirt Everyday? You'll find some wicked off the grid fun here on the east coast, and don't get me wrong MOAB is on my bucket list as well.
So to close this one out - You are never too inexperienced to jump in and hit the road.

** If things open up between the TriState this spring, IM me as Hunter Mountain NY has some great off the grid trails that I would be more than willing to meet you on the trail.
I suspect that travel will open up a bit by April/May once the current spikes have gone back down and vaccines are in wide use, so I don't think this year will be a total loss. We originally planned to do VT (my wife's favourite state) but our county has been prohibited from going there since the spring. I also can't seem to find any class 4 roads on GaiaGPS. The only thing I see in VT are the Green Mountain National Forest roads. VT would be an ideal spring or early summer trip!

But I definitely want to hit Moab and Ouray/Telluride while I'm still physically able to!

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I suspect that travel will open up a bit by April/May once the current spikes have gone back down and vaccines are in wide use, so I don't think this year will be a total loss. We originally planned to do VT (my wife's favourite state) but our county has been prohibited from going there since the spring. I also can't seem to find any class 4 roads on GaiaGPS. The only thing I see in VT are the Green Mountain National Forest roads. VT would be an ideal spring or early summer trip!

But I definitely want to hit Moab and Ouray/Telluride while I'm still physically able to!
I fully understand; and you are spot on about VT's restrictions. I live in a Green Zone according to VT's previous travel restrictions, that all changed with their recent update this past October were as you know they put a full lockdown on travel. I had picked out a a few camp spots along Lake Champlain and Mt. Snow. I had also wanted to try out the summer MTB downhill trails at the ski resorts. Right now my Camping will be in Upstate NY near the Salmon River, and we can only cross our fingers and hope for the curve to drop and a green light.

Moab has always been one of the places marked down on my list, along with the Rubicon Trail. Every time I tune in to watch Dirt Everyday I find myself wanting to make more adjustments/mods to my CJ5 - I just rebuilt the AMC 360, and I would love to scrap it for the Cummins R2.8.

Well lets keep our fingers crossed

Take care and Happy New Year.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

‘You’ve got a great set up already. If all goes well in 2021, and we’re able to head out, and you’re out West, I’m heading to Tuktoyaktuk via the Dempster Highway (it’s been posted as a Rally too). You’re more than welcome to join. :tonguewink:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome, we all were rookies at one time, it sounds like you are wanting to go crawling with your rig. I am not a crawling guy, I am drive to where I plan to play person. I don’t run over anything Bieber than basket ball sized rocks. So not much help in the crawling dept.
I would get a ground tent, some basic camping gear(stove, ice chest cooking stuff) second hand.Go camping, nothing hard or extreme, figure out if you like it. Network here and the 4x4 clubs around you. I know guys that stay in a RV or hotels and crawl durning the days, they like a nice bed at night. We all find our comfort zone. Go! Have a a bit of fun, figure out what you like.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The Trailhawk WK2 uses air suspension like the new Land Rover Discovery (and others). There is no practical way to lift it short of replacing the entire suspension, which I can't afford. I have the biggest tires on that will fit without severely modifying the front end--again, it will be on-road 99% of the time. I have Falken Wildpeaks at 265/65R18 (stock size is 260/65/R18), and 1.25" spacers all around.

I love Gaia GPS, and if one is on federal land it looks ideal. But most of the country I can't find anything on the MUVM layer. This means "experience needed" in finding places to go.
Ok, The air is an option. but it's an awesome setup for an all around system. If you have 265s on it now, that's more than big enough. Going back to my patriot driving, I ran TONS of off road milage on 235's. Sounds like your jeep is really setup and you just need to find places to go. One thing that is different here, 90 percent of our islands land mass is public land. We just pack up and head into the back country for a weekend or longer. people here that are local to your area will give you better directions to great trips than any app can. Just ask. People here are awesome and will steer you in the directions to go. Good luck and enjoy your awesome jeep!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

First welcome to Overland Bound. A great place to learn from others is right here on the boards. Use the member map to send a message to members in your area to help discuss places to go and trip planning. The Northwest has a monthly conference call that is geared towards novice explorers that ask the same questions you are asking. Even though it’s hosted here in the Northwest, we enjoy people checking in from all a crossed the globe.

Reactions: MMc

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
‘You’ve got a great set up already. If all goes well in 2021, and we’re able to head out, and you’re out West, I’m heading to Tuktoyaktuk via the Dempster Highway (it’s been posted as a Rally too). You’re more than welcome to join. :tonguewink:
Might be a little ambitious for a noob, eh? It's on my list of places that would be amazing to see, but honestly Dawson City is about as far up as I think I'd want to go. I also want to head off the other way and visit Newfoundland. My wife and I have been talking about visiting the rock for 20 years but Europe and friends over there have beckoned far more strongly. Once this is over, BC should just rebrand itself as a giant Jeep trail. EFRT, Shaun, Casey and the rest should be paid by the BC gov't tourism department. They're the greatest advertisement for the province I've ever seen.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Welcome, we all were rookies at one time, it sounds like you are wanting to go crawling with your rig. I am not a crawling guy, I am drive to where I plan to play person. I don’t run over anything Bieber than basket ball sized rocks. So not much help in the crawling dept.
I would get a ground tent, some basic camping gear(stove, ice chest cooking stuff) second hand.Go camping, nothing hard or extreme, figure out if you like it. Network here and the 4x4 clubs around you. I know guys that stay in a RV or hotels and crawl durning the days, they like a nice bed at night. We all find our comfort zone. Go! Have a a bit of fun, figure out what you like.
I think you misunderstand. I am not into crawling! I'm saying the local clubs near me, that's their focus, and if I want to be part of a Jeep club, that's what I have to deal with. And in addition, my Jeep would not be easily modifiable (if at all) for crawling. It's a fine off-road and overland/camping vehicle and more than capable on actual roads and trails, but with just under 12 inches of clearance it ain't a crawler.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Might be a little ambitious for a noob, eh? It's on my list of places that would be amazing to see, but honestly Dawson City is about as far up as I think I'd want to go. I also want to head off the other way and visit Newfoundland. My wife and I have been talking about visiting the rock for 20 years but Europe and friends over there have beckoned far more strongly. Once this is over, BC should just rebrand itself as a giant Jeep trail. EFRT, Shaun, Casey and the rest should be paid by the BC gov't tourism department. They're the greatest advertisement for the province I've ever seen.
Trust me, you would be able to do the Dempster Highway without any issues, but Dawson City is a good destination as well. Great little town from the gold rush era. Newfoundland is beautiful - especially iceberg viewing! That’s a bucket list item for sure. I’ve lived all over Canada, but the West stole my heart (originally from Quebec). Alberta and BC have the most awe inspiring locations, and I especially love Alberta’s starry skies.

So, whether you visit the East or the West (and even the ‘in between’) of this beautiful country, you’d be welcomed either way. :tonguewink:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I think you misunderstand. I am not into crawling! I'm saying the local clubs near me, that's their focus, and if I want to be part of a Jeep club, that's what I have to deal with. And in addition, my Jeep would not be easily modifiable (if at all) for crawling. It's a fine off-road and overland/camping vehicle and more than capable on actual roads and trails, but with just under 12 inches of clearance it ain't a crawler.
OK, you are not into crawling. It sounds like you want to drive and camp? How much off-road do you plan? Do you plan to live on the road? How much comfort do you want? 12” clearance will get you more places than you think, I started with 2 wheel drive little truck and it took me all kinds of great places. It’s just car camping and driving down dirt roads.”I would get a ground tent, some basic camping gear(stove, ice chest cooking stuff) second hand. Go camping, nothing hard or extreme, figure out if you like it.”
I know plenty of people that no longer camp because they don’t like it much. Don’t go spend a grip of cash to try something out, you can save money by getting second hand from somebody that tried it and decided it wasn’t for them.I love it on the other hand and have spent 40 years acquiring the things that work for me. Everything is a trade off, I see RTT’s and they are not for me, for others they are perfect. What do you expect to get from overlanding, it is different for everybody. With my current setup I am good for a couple of weeks or a month. If I was going to on the road for years, it would be changed up.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Trust me, you would be able to do the Dempster Highway without any issues, but Dawson City is a good destination as well. Great little town from the gold rush era. Newfoundland is beautiful - especially iceberg viewing! That’s a bucket list item for sure. I’ve lived all over Canada, but the West stole my heart (originally from Quebec). Alberta and BC have the most awe inspiring locations, and I especially love Alberta’s starry skies.

So, whether you visit the East or the West (and even the ‘in between’) of this beautiful country, you’d be welcomed either way. :tonguewink:
I'm also originally from Quebec (the West Island; Pointe Claire to be precise). Moved to Toronto in 1979, and here to the U.S. in 2000. I've only been out west once, and only to Calgary for 2 days, and Yellowknife for 3, for a friend's wedding back in the early 80s. I've desperately wanted to explore Canada by road for a long time. We went through the maritimes about 15 years ago, but that was in our Honda, and staying at B&Bs, which was actually amazing. I suspect our first big road trip to Canada after this is over will be NS and NFLD, and maybe a few more days back on PEI. We're in the NYC suburbs, my wife's job is tied to the city, and she loves both NYC and city/urban living. I'm the one more interested in extended time away from New Jersey. Tuck would be interesting, but the cost/reward just to say you drove to road's end isn't there for me. If money and time-away weren't issues I might feel differently. But even Dawson City is about 6500 miles one way from here.

OK, you are not into crawling. It sounds like you want to drive and camp? How much off-road do you plan? Do you plan to live on the road? How much comfort do you want? 12” clearance will get you more places than you think, I started with 2 wheel drive little truck and it took me all kinds of great places. It’s just car camping and driving down dirt roads.”I would get a ground tent, some basic camping gear(stove, ice chest cooking stuff) second hand. Go camping, nothing hard or extreme, figure out if you like it.”
I've got a fair amount of gear already (REI Base Camp 6 tent, external foam mattress pads, old-style Coleman naptha stove/lantern, plenty of dedicated camp kitchen gear. I used to go out for weekends 30+ years ago, and that stuff is all good. But we got the new tent/bags/etc last summer. I'm looking for places to go that involve off-road driving, stream crossings, mountain lakeshore dispersed camping spots and things of that nature. I don't want to go crawling over boulders, but I will always feel the need for dirt under my wheels, and the occasional chance to use my winch and MaxTrax boards.

We will not be living on the road full time. I enjoy roughing it a bit, but physical limitations mean I have to make a few compromises. A combination of state/provincial campgrounds and some dispersed sites would suit me fine. I'm not a big cold weather fan, so I intend to restrict my trips to about the May-October. A few weekends here and there, and one longer trip somewhere interesting. We have family and friends that we also need to visit, including one or occasionally two trans-Atlantic trips a year as things reopen. We thus only have limited time to do this in, and we have a home and pets in NJ.

I know plenty of people that no longer camp because they don’t like it much. Don’t go spend a grip of cash to try something out, you can save money by getting second hand from somebody that tried it and decided it wasn’t for them.I love it on the other hand and have spent 40 years acquiring the things that work for me. Everything is a trade off, I see RTT’s and they are not for me, for others they are perfect. What do you expect to get from overlanding, it is different for everybody. With my current setup I am good for a couple of weeks or a month. If I was going to on the road for years, it would be changed up.
Like I said above, I used to go out a lot more when I was in my 20s and 30s, and then later on, my vacations were increasingly to trade shows for my main hobby (ham radio) in Ohio and Germany, and visiting as many of the major cities in Europe as I could afford to do. We still plan to do this every year if we can. But I've spent so much time and money on EU, that I've neglected my own back yard. And while I still have some physical mobility and own a trail-rated vehicle, I want to find those mountain roads and forest trails.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

No need to lift or bigger tires. As for travel in UT/CO look for guided tours..... specifically for your kind of rig..... without mods. Some might include catered meals. I'd do this for the first few excursions before venturing off alone, you might meet a like minded couple. The guided tour can be abgreat ice breaker and build yer confidence.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm looking for places to go that involve off-road driving, stream crossings, mountain lakeshore dispersed camping spots and things of that nature. I don't want to go crawling over boulders, but I will always feel the need for dirt under my wheels, and the occasional chance to use my winch and MaxTrax boards.
Come to BC !!!!
Or AB if you like mud...
I actually love the open beauty of clear cut logging.
The Rockies have it all.

2008_0806nakusp0018.jpg
These are the things I love too.

DSCN1474.jpeg

These are my end goals, the Jeep just gets me here, and I always pick the route of least resistance.

DSC_0062.jpg

Last edited:

215Grappler

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Philadelphia, PA
First Name
Art
Last Name
McKee
Member #

I wasn't aware Hunter has offroad trails. Is there a link to those? I went on the Hunter Mountain website and couldn't find anything.