Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

So as a new member to the forums I figured I would add a couple of pennies (my $.02) to some gear that has been used in the past and still carry with me. I am a firm believer in always being able to be self sufficient. Now the Golden Rule, well one of many I guess, is to never wheel alone. Ok, I've broke that rule one or twice as i believe we all have but here is one of many items that has helped.

* The MAX-AX 7-in-1. So the basic tool carry always has an Ax and a Shovel for multiple uses. From Trail Repair to the "oops I may need to dig out" moments that life off road brings us they will always have a soft spot in everyone's hearts. Now for me, as much of a tool-nerd as I am, I absolutely detest carrying more than i need to. Maybe it comes from my backpacking days, I dunno. Available on Amazon from Forestry Tool Co. and used by the US Military (just ask, we all kicked this thing around the back of the HMMWV and 7-tons) This tool does it all (not as good as the individual tool but good enough). One of the things that I've learned is that tools that slip on to an individual handle have a nasty habit of sliding BACK down the handle and adding a new function to the tool, removing the webbing from between the thumb and forefinger. Not only does that hurt but it makes for a bad day as well. The perk of this tool is the lug behind the Ax head. No more tools sliding down handles, they all attach there. Now while that does save your hand it does lead to the Achilles heel of of this tool. After a ton of abuse (lets say cutting a path clean through a rock rather than going around or bridging it) the lug may deform and become loose. That takes a ton of abuse to do but hey, I've see dumber stunts pulled. So if the plan is to cut a completely new path through an area then hey, maybe the individual tools would be called for. But if all you are doing is some weekend trail repair, digging out a stuck rig, cutting through a branch across a trail, pounding in an anchor, furrowing out the ground to throw grass seed for erosion control, or hey lets face it, maybe digging a hole to sit over for a moment, then maybe this is something worth looking in to. Another perk is the fact that it is small and fits well just about anywhere. I have one (the tacti-cool green colored one us service guys know) in the jeep and the yellow civilian one in the 4runner.

Reactions: Cort and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

View attachment 54143 View attachment 54144 View attachment 54145 View attachment 54146 View attachment 54147 View attachment 54148 View attachment 54150 View attachment 54151
*pictures by photo*
1) ax and tool pouch accessories
2) ax head (note the lug and oversized "hammer on the back of the head)
3) shovel attached
4) hoe attached
5) rake attached
6) long pick attached
7) mattock attached
8) small pick attached
The Max-Ax 7-in-1 tool is a real, standard-sized, tool, not a mini-tool.

Here's a great vid showing size and tool attachments in action working:

Reactions: Boort and Grantnr

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Like any multi tool there are compromises. For what this tool is, it’s about as good as it gets and while the $279 might sound steep it won’t once you price out the tools separately at the same quality level.

I prefer the individual tools myself but I have used this tool personally and believe it’s good to go. It should last you forever.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Valid point regarding pricing all the tools out individually.. I dont see myself ever needing a pick large or small on the trail, or a rake or mattok etc... shovel and axe is all I need and you cant definitely be less than 280$ with a refurbished garage sale axe and a shovel

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We looked at this tool for our Battalion Chiefs Pickups at the fire department I worked at, got one and the feedback was good tool but heavy. I personally did not try it but the BC that I had test it like the idea but ended up using his combi tool because it was lighter. One thing he did say was that it was made well.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

View attachment 54143 View attachment 54144 View attachment 54145 View attachment 54146 View attachment 54147 View attachment 54148 View attachment 54150 View attachment 54151
*pictures by photo*
1) ax and tool pouch accessories
2) ax head (note the lug and oversized "hammer on the back of the head)
3) shovel attached
4) hoe attached
5) rake attached
6) long pick attached
7) mattock attached
8) small pick attached
Legit!! But pricey, however it is doing the job of many and you add those up all together and it will probably be more and you are saving space.

Reactions: Grantnr