An argument against Roof Top Tents

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V

Influencer I

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This was one of the big factors I looked at when I thought about what rig to get. In the end for me the RTT was a no-go due to the ladder, cost and I have dogs.
My wife does not like ground tents, so for me the only option was to get a rig I could sleep in the back of. The list of vehicles that allow you to sleep in the back of, and still carry all the gear is very short, mid-size and larger.
The RTT looks cool, and works for some. Sleeping in the back of my rig is the best of both worlds. It is always set up, so no set up time. If I want to leave camp, there is no break down time. I can also carry a full size, 6in memory foam mattress and have tons of comfort.
You really need to look at how you travel, your needs, and budget to know what is best for you.

Reactions: M Rose and smritte

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank IV
Supporter

Traveler II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

My two Golden Retrievers nixed the roof top approach. While they are smart and learn quickly, ladders are not their forte.
Here’s my second chance at posting my reply.
I also tossed the RTT option out the door for my 3 pups; one Goldie Chow mix, and two black mouth curs.

phlfly

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

RTT add mass and CG point, but they are way better than sleeping in tent even fast set up tents like one been advertised by Mike I think Gazelle. The tent is bulky too and long plus foldable bed plus good mattress and wind/rain brings even more challenges. I have GSD and she sleeps in the truck bed as I have topper. I slept in topper as well but it's not enough ventilation even with fan in summer. I like set up like Alicab its,really great but if you have one or two people. I found ikamper is best for family of 4.
Anorther great set up Habitat. But then make a choice between Sprinter van or Truck.
Someone said sleeping inside the truck like Toyota land cruiser its great idea if you have 2 people but it became like a permanent solution with only two seats . Don't like that .
I'm really thinking late upgrade to Habitat when kids are gone . I like idea of living space during bad weather conditions on long travels. Plus plenty of the sleeping space and another plus metal construction.

Reactions: Neuvik

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have looked at RTT’s and decided to pass. The hard top or clam shell RTT’s are much better built than the soft tents are, he does separate the the different styles. The “they are faster to deploy” is false, I can drop my bivi bag, slide my pad and sleeping bag in faster than putting up any tent, ground or RTT. It needs a 30”x 80” slice of dirt which is very easy to locate. It picks up in a jiff too. If I choose to put up a tent, most backpacking tents go up in 10 mins. I understand a house tent does take longer and passed on them years ago. Everything is a trade off. I am thinking about doing the Pan American, if I do it will be in a pop-top camper.
I’ll pass on says anything about the social media guys.