Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I've notice at least 3 other amputees on here and that got me to thinking. How many do we have on here and what's missing?

Does it slow you down or keep you from Overlanding or life in general.

How do you compensate?

I'm an above the knee amp on the right side.

darrenc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Worth
First Name
darren
Last Name
contino
Member #

LBK checking in. Mud is kryptonite especially if having to winch. I have an offroad prosthesis I put together that I have a to the knee water proof boot. I also have a pinlock setup so it helps in being able to walk in the mud. One of the more challenging issues was the first time I had to climb up the ladder of the RTT. just took some confidence building, as mine sits pretty high in the air.

Would be cool to do a weekend run somewhere with a group.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I am also LBKA (Left Below the Knee Amputee), lost it at 18 on a moto to a drunk driver turning left, then 3yrs ago laid my bike down on my fake leg and split the tibia needing a plate and 14 screws. Once those were out my leg shape changed and I am still getting used to it as I lost some extension.

I work 12-18yrs as a ICU RN, travel the world, and met my wife along with raising 2 sons as an amputee....never slowed me down but I love it as an excuse when I want :)

From tents (used a cot as getting up/down from the ground is a hassle) to hammocks to roof top tents to sleep inside vehicles I have never had my leg be the issue.
As was said above mud/sand/snow (soft surfaces) are horrible as you get no spring return from the foot and the suction on the prosthetic takes even more energy.

I am in the Phoenix, Az area and always welcome others on our trips and happy to join up with others anywhere in the Southwest or Baja....matter of fact I have a Baja Christmas to New Years trip with a wheelchair buddy, which means I won't get to bitch at all with him around to give me crap.

darrenc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Worth
First Name
darren
Last Name
contino
Member #

I am also LBKA (Left Below the Knee Amputee), lost it at 18 on a moto to a drunk driver turning left, then 3yrs ago laid my bike down on my fake leg and split the tibia needing a plate and 14 screws. Once those were out my leg shape changed and I am still getting used to it as I lost some extension.

I work 12-18yrs as a ICU RN, travel the world, and met my wife along with raising 2 sons as an amputee....never slowed me down but I love it as an excuse when I want :)

From tents (used a cot as getting up/down from the ground is a hassle) to hammocks to roof top tents to sleep inside vehicles I have never had my leg be the issue.
As was said above mud/sand/snow (soft surfaces) are horrible as you get no spring return from the foot and the suction on the prosthetic takes even more energy.

I am in the Phoenix, Az area and always welcome others on our trips and happy to join up with others anywhere in the Southwest or Baja....matter of fact I have a Baja Christmas to New Years trip with a wheelchair buddy, which means I won't get to bitch at all with him around to give me crap.
Welcome to the thread... I lost mine a year and a half ago in a Moto accident also. On a beautiful canyon road on a beautiful day a Ford dually and I decided to share the same spot around a tight corner. My leg was pinned between the rear tires and the bike as I flew off. I have since built another and last weekend road with 300 other bikes on a toys for tot run in Fort Worth.

We are always up for a trip to the southwest and want to do the Mojave trail sometime too. Right now only booked during March.

Baja sounds awesome, have fun and be safe.