bjohnson2607

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Johnson
Does anyone have experience with the LiFePo batteries on Amazon? Trying to figure out how they can sell them for half the cost of Renogy or others and if they’re any good.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a renogy and a weize battery. the renogy is in my camp trailer and was more in cost, but it also claims to have a higher amount of cycles, which means a longer life, so makes sense that it is more expensive. the weize battery is good and i have it running lights and a pump for a cabin in my back yard, so it has been dependable and trouble free thus far and probably 60% of the cost of the renogy. like everything else, some batteries are made with lighter and cheaper materials. the lifepo batteries are made of multiple cells and these cells fall into 2 categories where one class of cell has better tolerances and use better materials and the other class is not as good and uses cheaper materials. just like LEDS...the CREE leds are made to a high standard and cost more and lesser leds are cheaper and dont last as long or perform as well, but are still pretty good.

renogy batteries are made in china, but they are engineered in the US and i think they also have an R&D department, so they have that overhead to factor into the final cost. the same battery plant in china can make a similar battery with just a little cheaper materials and have it exported for a lot less money than the renogy battery. marketing and advertising also play a part in the cost. so the less expensive batteries are good, but the ones like renogy and battleborn and better quality and have a longer life of cycle rates.

Last edited:

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I'd be wary of LiFePO4s from Amazon that seem too cheap. I'd stick with known entities like Battleborn or Renogy if you're in the US. There are a couple of reliable brands in other parts of the world, like Oz, but I can't recall the names...

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Actually, there are a lot of good deals this time of year. I just picked up a LiFePO4-based Jackery for a good deal, Renogy has an up to 50% sale on some stuff...

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If you want a good battery that's on mega sale right now, go to aolithium.com

Theyve got their 100Ah battery on sale right now for about 250. I have their battery in my trailer, and it been working flawlessly for about 2 years. It has low temp cutoff and bluetooth as well.

On Amazon, go with LiTime. They're quality batteries. The newer ones can be had with low temp cutoff, or a built in battery heater. I run the 100Ah mini battery in my Xterra. I wrapped it with an rv water tank anti-freeze pad to keep it warm. I just turn the heater on in the morning, and when I start the vehicle, it's able to charge with no issues.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I took a chance on a cheap amazon 100 ah battery. Why? because I wanted to see how they held up. So far, a year of undercharging, over taxing, too cold and too hot it's doing great. I could have spent over $1000 for the same but with more features. Instead I spent $200 (ish).

I have stack's of individual cells kicking around because I like to build my own custom battery packs. For what the Amazon battery is, its actually a good price. If I built a comparable battery, the cost would be close to what I spent. For the battery nerds....I'm currently playing with 38120's and my next project is going to be with prismatics.

This is what I have learned so far. Compare features before you buy. I don't need Bluetooth, heaters, coolers. These features cost extra. When you compare, compare the same features.

Another thing you need to see it what type of battery they use. Not all Lifepo are the same. The one I bought cannot be used as a starting battery. It can be used as a moderate/ low draw camper battery. My power usage includes and older 50 qt fridge, a few lights, chargers and misc other low draw items (dont remember the numbers).

If you want a starter/winch battery, you need to step up and pay close to $1000. If you want it as a low to moderate draw camper battery, grab one on Amazon and dont complain if it only lasts 10 years.

Reactions: bjohnson2607

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you want to see what a good DIY starting battery cost is, without a BMS or add on features. Here ya go.

Prismatic Battery
Edit, click on the dropdown menu and choose compression. Need to do this with prismatics

Also, lithium battery prices have fallen considerably over the last year.

sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
Link

I have been using this in an offroad teardrop, which is stored in an aluminum box outside the trailer, over every rock, puddle, crag, and road for 10000 miles, no issues, and it's temp rated for charging. It's also an awesome price and the customer support was nice when I exchanged the battery for a different size early on.

bjohnson2607

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Johnson
Thanks everyone for the information. Currently I have a single agm battery in our mission overland trailer and have been wanting to upgrade the batteries. I had been set on Renogy because I knew the name but when I started researching batteries more, I was struggling to see many differences. Most of these batteries are probably all made in the same Chinese factory anyhow and just rebranded. I don’t mind paying more if I actually get more for my money, but I don’t have any interest in paying just to have a name brand.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I got 2 300ah howell energy batteries off amazon and have been using them for almost 2 years now, with the last year being full time. I have them inside the trailer so the temp stays relatively constant. They have a BMS but i still used an rv heater pad to heat them if needed. I have had zero problems and fron the research I had done at the time many of them are rebranded so I was comfortable making the decision. Looking back I wouldnt have made a different choice.