Enthusiast III

Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
So looking for a little advice from the group on this. I've been a ham for several years now. The last rig I had in my old car died before trading it in for my Outback. Now...the wife says I absolutely cannot put a radio in this as it's also the new family car. "No room...antennas don't look good...etc". So any suggestions for a temporary mounting system for when I go out into the mountains? I have a mag mount antenna I could throw on easily enough but I was thinking about permanently mounting a mobile radio in the car and just have the head unit mounted when I need it in a way that the mounting system can be moved in and out when not in use. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: er waddell

UpDown

Rank I

Contributor III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Topher
Last Name
Zen
I was able to mount a remote head unit (yaesu FTM-100DR) in the family vehicle without any gross wire mess. Put the base unit under the drivers seat and the remote head can be put anywhere. With a little velcro it can easily be removed and stored back under the seat. Same with the mic. I did a 1/4 wave dual band antenna in the back through the rear trunk door. And ran the wire under the seats and carpeting up to the radio. All hidden and looks nice.

There are many radios that have the removable faceplate or remote head. Whatever you want to call it. Most of the new Yaesu radios have this. If you want to do a HF rig then it's harder to hide the antenna. But you can still unscrew the antenna from the base.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Howdy from Kansas! Couple ideas to skin this cat, UpDown hit on the main items I was going to suggest. Pre-wire power and stow a magnetic antenna under a seat. Snag a mobile with a remote-control-head, stow the head in the glovebox when not in use, transceiver under seat, cable under the seat or, pre-wire the head to wherever it'll be used and leave a little pig-tail of wire.

For mounting either velcro or a magnetic mount would be feasible. I've recently started using my FTM400 heads with a magnetic phone mount.
1677522005456.png1677522019938.png
(Pardon the nasty steering wheel, that's on my list to handle in this build...)

Another option if you want to maintain more portability and not go with a mobile, pre-configure the vehicle for use with a portable. Find a solid portable option and snag a battery eliminator, SMA to BNC adapter (quick antenna connection/disconnect) and slap a magnetic phone mount on the back of the battery eliminator. The FT2 pictured accepts 13.8 in the side of the radio and just runs off that when turned on or charges the battery, I use it with a USB adapter on my F800GS. I keep a quick BNC whip antenna for portable use and can interface with a magnetic antenna for mobile use rather easily. Assuming power output isn't a huge concern and 5W will get the job done for you, this might be a solid option. Tons of other mounts exist such as this portable mount I use on the F800 from RAM.
1677521909087.png1677521986356.png

Hope that helps the wheels turn a bit for some ideas!

Last edited:

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Howdy from Kansas! Couple ideas to skin this cat, UpDown hit on the main items I was going to suggest. Pre-wire power and stow a magnetic antenna under a seat. Snag a mobile with a remote-control-head, stow the head in the glovebox when not in use, cable under the seat or, pre-wire the head to wherever it'll be used and leave a little pig-tail of wire.

For mounting either velcro or a magnetic mount would be feasible. I've recently started using my FTM400 heads with a magnetic phone mount.
View attachment 251134View attachment 251135

Another option if you want to maintain more portability and not go with a mobile, pre-configure the vehicle for use with a portable. Find a solid portable option and snag a battery eliminator, SMA to BNC adapter (quick antenna connection/disconnect) and slap a magnetic phone mount on the back of the battery eliminator. The FT2 pictured accepts 13.8 in the side of the radio and just runs off that when turned on or charges the battery, I use it with a USB adapter on my F800GS. I keep a quick BNC whip antenna for portable use and can interface with a magnetic antenna for mobile use rather easily. Assuming power output isn't a huge concern and 5W will get the job done for you, this might be a solid option. Tons of other mounts exist such as this portable mount I use on the F800 from RAM.
View attachment 251132View attachment 251133

Hope that helps the wheels turn a bit for some ideas!
I always prewire power and stuff and try to run it under things. And stowing a mag mount under a seat until needed I’d never thought of! So that’s a really good idea. A phone mag mount would be a good idea too since that can easily be taken off and put in the glove compartment when everyone’s in the car with me. Now to figure out the big challenge of how to get it pulled off so the wife doesn’t know lol!! Thanks for the great advice from both of you!!

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Indeed, glad to help. Yea I mainly suggest the magnetic phone mount because it'll pull double duty. If she doesn't use one already for the cell, she might like it so it can be a 'hidden' feature to pop your control head on when desired.

Is your wife picturing this when she thinks about a radio? :tearsofjoy: Maybe easing into it will yield a permanent spot for your radio in the future! I ended up with a FTM400 and hood lip NMO antenna on my wife's Passport. Control head is mounted down low on the center dash, isn't in the way. Fortunately she was cool with it, but that's the limit in that car I think.
1677523312421.png

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
Indeed, glad to help. Yea I mainly suggest the magnetic phone mount because it'll pull double duty. If she doesn't use one already for the cell, she might like it so it can be a 'hidden' feature to pop your control head on when desired.

Is your wife picturing this when she thinks about a radio? :tearsofjoy: Maybe easing into it will yield a permanent spot for your radio in the future! I ended up with a FTM400 and hood lip NMO antenna on my wife's Passport. Control head is mounted down low on the center dash, isn't in the way. Fortunately she was cool with it, but that's the limit in that car I think.
View attachment 251136
Her biggest thing is having an antenna on the car lol. A had a seat rail mount before and it got in her way a lot so that’s another reason she’s against it. And if they’re in the car I don’t even turn it on usually. But for when I’m in the mountains outside cell range or doing special event comms with my radio club I wanted something. I was thinking about trying to convince her into a trunk lip NMO Mount and just keeping a plastic cap on it when I’m not using it.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR

View attachment 251136
Her biggest thing is having an antenna on the car lol. A had a seat rail mount before and it got in her way a lot so that’s another reason she’s against it. And if they’re in the car I don’t even turn it on usually. But for when I’m in the mountains outside cell range or doing special event comms with my radio club I wanted something. I was thinking about trying to convince her into a trunk lip NMO Mount and just keeping a plastic cap on it when I’m not using it.
Ah, well I suppose if that's the only exposure it's a reasonable response. I wondered if that'd be an option... Might be a good route with a cap. I used a smaller SBB on my wife's (can't remember the exact model) but it's a slim very flexible dual band about 18" high. She even remarked once it was on, "Well that's not as bad as I was thinking".

Anywho, best of luck on the endeavor!

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA

View attachment 251136
Ah, well I suppose if that's the only exposure it's a reasonable response. I wondered if that'd be an option... Might be a good route with a cap. I used a smaller SBB on my wife's (can't remember the exact model) but it's a slim very flexible dual band about 18" high. She even remarked once it was on, "Well that's not as bad as I was thinking".

Anywho, best of luck on the endeavor!
I plan on showing her a picture of an HF screwdriver antenna and say “see, at least I’m not asking that”.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I was able to mount a remote head unit (yaesu FTM-100DR) in the family vehicle without any gross wire mess. Put the base unit under the drivers seat and the remote head can be put anywhere. With a little velcro it can easily be removed and stored back under the seat. Same with the mic. I did a 1/4 wave dual band antenna in the back through the rear trunk door. And ran the wire under the seats and carpeting up to the radio. All hidden and looks nice.

There are many radios that have the removable faceplate or remote head. Whatever you want to call it. Most of the new Yaesu radios have this. If you want to do a HF rig then it's harder to hide the antenna. But you can still unscrew the antenna from the base.
I run also a FTM-100 in my rig. Radio under the seat as you did and remote head unit on the dash with the original clip. I replaced the original bolt hollding the headunit in the clip, with a thumb screw. This way I can easily remove it and put it away (just the clip stays in the cockpit). Yes, velcro might also be an option. I upgraded the mike with a magnet holder. So also the mike can easily be detached.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

View attachment 251136
Back when I was getting started in ham radio, we’d have called this guy a hamdick.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Actus542
So looking for a little advice from the group on this. I've been a ham for several years now. The last rig I had in my old car died before trading it in for my Outback. Now...the wife says I absolutely cannot put a radio in this as it's also the new family car. "No room...antennas don't look good...etc". So any suggestions for a temporary mounting system for when I go out into the mountains? I have a mag mount antenna I could throw on easily enough but I was thinking about permanently mounting a mobile radio in the car and just have the head unit mounted when I need it in a way that the mounting system can be moved in and out when not in use. Thanks in advance!!
You don't mention what bands you are looking for in the mobile unit. If you are looking for 2m/440 would one of the QYT KT-WP12 / ANYSECU WP-9900 units pass the SWMBO test?

I've been considering one as an upgrade from my UV-5R HT since I saw it mentioned in @kc5hwb YT video on the best Mobile radios for 2023

Easy to install in/under the center console or behind the glove box in most rigs. IIRC some of the Outback's have a flip up rear seat with a nice storage areas under it and many have the little garage door pocket in front of the gear shift under the AC controls. either of these locations should be able to fit this tiny radio.

As for the antenna An NMO mount with all weather cap on the roof or rear hatch so you can screw on the antenna when you are looking to use the rig and unscrew it and store it when it's the wife's daily driver.
I was thinking a lip mount NMO but Mike Bennett from this thread over at subaruoutback.org shows off a really cool mount on his Outback.
( Lowering Headliner/NMO Mount/Ham Radio )

Best regards,
Boort

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Actus542
You don't mention what bands you are looking for in the mobile unit. If you are looking for 2m/440 would one of the QYT KT-WP12 / ANYSECU WP-9900 units pass the SWMBO test?

I've been considering one as an upgrade from my UV-5R HT since I saw it mentioned in @kc5hwb YT video on the best Mobile radios for 2023

Easy to install in/under the center console or behind the glove box in most rigs. IIRC some of the Outback's have a flip up rear seat with a nice storage areas under it and many have the little garage door pocket in front of the gear shift under the AC controls. either of these locations should be able to fit this tiny radio.

As for the antenna An NMO mount with all weather cap on the roof or rear hatch so you can screw on the antenna when you are looking to use the rig and unscrew it and store it when it's the wife's daily driver.
I was thinking a lip mount NMO but Mike Bennett from this thread over at subaruoutback.org shows off a really cool mount on his Outback.

Best regards,
Boort
If you have an overhead light fixture in the center of your headliner where you'd be content to put the nmo mount, you don't have to drop the headliner.

I've installed dozens of nmo mounts this way back in the days of Mobile cell phones.

If anybody is interested in doing this easy method, let me know.

Actus542

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4RTA
@Actus542

Best regards,
Boort
I would go with a 2m/70cm. I have a UV5R and a FT-60R. I think I’ll do the trunk mount with an all weather cap like you said. Compromise with the wife lol

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
There are quite a few reviews and videos on youtube. It operates better if placed near the edge of the vehicle closer to the rear if possible, and not in the center of the roof.
Simply moving placement on the vehicle can have an impact on performance and swr.

To clarify I do not own one. Watched many videos and read reviews. I have been contemplating using one on my car. My fj looks perfectly fine with antennas poking out everywhere. If I add a radio to my sedan, I will be using this antenna.

Reactions: Boort and Actus542