Launch Member

Contributor II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Duke
Last Name
Spinelli
Member #

My buddy and I have decided to take a week off and head out to the Moab area to do some easy Overlanding. We will be arriving there Oct 12th and will spend a couple of days (2 or 3) camping in the area and then will head across the Rim Rocker to Montrose and camp a day or two. Without any camping permits (guess that there are none left) will I be able to find places to camp? We are traveling in a stock LR3 with AT tires and a RTT and ground tent. I'm afraid I will not be able to find any enjoyable spots to camp. Last time I was out there camping was back in 1985 so I am sure it has all changed. Looking for suggestions for easy trails and spots that I could camp.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

My buddy and I have decided to take a week off and head out to the Moab area to do some easy Overlanding. We will be arriving there Oct 12th and will spend a couple of days (2 or 3) camping in the area and then will head across the Rim Rocker to Montrose and camp a day or two. Without any camping permits (guess that there are none left) will I be able to find places to camp? We are traveling in a stock LR3 with AT tires and a RTT and ground tent. I'm afraid I will not be able to find any enjoyable spots to camp. Last time I was out there camping was back in 1985 so I am sure it has all changed. Looking for suggestions for easy trails and spots that I could camp.
Should not be a problem at that time of year as it will start to get colder at night and less people will be out camping.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I was in Moab two weeks ago and in Ouray last week. During the week there were plenty of open spots. Things got pretty crowded on Friday night. I can't speak to permits... sorry.

Reactions: ryanorr280

Bode61

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Duke
Last Name
Spinelli
Member #

I was in Moab two weeks ago and in Ouray last week. During the week there were plenty of open spots. Things got pretty crowded on Friday night. I can't speak to permits... sorry.
any suggestions for non permit camping?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Where are you concerned about having a permit?

There is a lot of BLM land just north of Moab with a lot of campsites.

I'm sure you'll camp on RimRocker at least one night. That shoudn't be a problem.

Are you planning to stay around Montrose or go down to Ouray, etc (highly recommend)?

Bode61

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Duke
Last Name
Spinelli
Member #

Where are you concerned about having a permit?

There is a lot of BLM land just north of Moab with a lot of campsites.

I'm sure you'll camp on RimRocker at least one night. That shoudn't be a problem.

Are you planning to stay around Montrose or go down to Ouray, etc (highly recommend)?
We are open to suggestions but would like to head towards Ouray. I was born and raised in Boulder but left in 85. I really liked the Ouray area and was thinking that would be the best area to head.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

We are open to suggestions but would like to head towards Ouray. I was born and raised in Boulder but left in 85. I really liked the Ouray area and was thinking that would be the best area to head.
Ouray is AWESOME. Montrose is nice, but it is big city compared to Ouray. Ouray has a ton of offroad trails and camping. If you plan on doing a lot of trails, get the Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails book. It is well worth the $35.
-B