Rank III

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
dante
Last Name
cecchini
Hey all,

Been looking for a good set of aluminum sand ladders. I can already see the responses coming in sayin "max trax! or the max trax knock offs!", but I'm really only wanting a solid aluminum Camel Trophy style sand ladder.
This seems to be the closest thing I can find. I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy them, but before I do, wondering if anyone has any expereince with this specific brand, or if anyone knows of a better buy somewhere.

Thanks!

Reactions: Correus and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey all,

Been looking for a good set of aluminum sand ladders. I can already see the responses coming in sayin "max trax! or the max trax knock offs!", but I'm really only wanting a solid aluminum Camel Trophy style sand ladder.
This seems to be the closest thing I can find. I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy them, but before I do, wondering if anyone has any expereince with this specific brand, or if anyone knows of a better buy somewhere.

Thanks!
I'll be interested in what you end up with. I like them, too and would love to have a pair of good ones to experiment with on both beach and desert sand.

I'd like to see the other side of the ones you linked to, to see how raised the perforation edge is, which would aid greatly in grip, either to the ground or tire, depending on which side is up.

Here's a pair for 11.84, though 1/10 scale :tonguewink:.

On the other end of the spectrum, is a pallet of original Marston Mats (steel), where the sand ladders like you want originally came from, I think. This pallet is only $5379.00.

I was writing about Marston Mats the other day on another adventure forum. Pretty interesting history: Marston Mats

Search google for "sand ladder" and you'll find a couple interesting you tube vids from 10-12 yrs ago testing all sorts of sand ladders. One is from 2009 with Scott Brady, who started Overland Journal and Expedition Portal.

We need some like these, from sandladder.net (Budapest), in North America:

sandladder-edges-finish.jpg....sandledder-flat-veiw.jpg
sandledder-special-reinforced-design-2.jpg

Last edited:

GR33N D1

Rank III

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
dante
Last Name
cecchini
I'll be interested in what you end up with. I like them, too and would love to have a pair of good ones to experiment with on both beach and desert sand.

I'd like to see the other side of the ones you linked to, to see how raised the perforation edge is, which would aid greatly in grip, either to the ground or tire, depending on which side is up.

Here's a pair for 11.84, though 1/10 scale :tonguewink:.

On the other end of the spectrum, is a pallet of original Marston Mats (steel), where the sand ladders like you want originally came from, I think. This pallet is only $5379.00.

I was writing about Marston Mats the other day on another adventure forum. Pretty interesting history: Marston Mats

Search google for "sand ladder" and you'll find a couple interesting you tube vids from 10-12 yrs ago testing all sorts of sand ladders. One is from 2009 with Scott Brady, who started Overland Journal and Expedition Portal.

We need some like these, from sandladder.net (Budapest), in North America:

View attachment 196692....View attachment 196693
View attachment 196694

Yes, those are the real deal! I cant help but think the ones from billet 4x4 are sub par, knock offs. I'm sure theyre functional, but not as good looking

Reactions: Road

GR33N D1

Rank III

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
dante
Last Name
cecchini
The 'Marston Mats', look about right. But not quite imo. trying to figure out how to get them from sandladders.net. can't seem to get ahold of anyone from there

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The 'Marston Mats', look about right. But not quite imo. trying to figure out how to get them from sandladders.net. can't seem to get ahold of anyone from there
I believe it's the same stuff, 3 rows wide, perforated with a raised edge. Originally 10' long that was then cut and repurposed for all sorts of things all over the world, including as sand ladders.

When used for landing strips and platforms, it had the interlocking edges. Those were routinely cut off for decades afterward, for use as sand ladders, fencing, all sorts of stuff.
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 19.37.47.png

MarstonMattingRepurposed.jpg

marston-mat-yty.JPG
marston-mat-au-252.jpg

There's another place, in OK, that sells old original Marston Mats, though only in bulk and for over a grand.

Hope you hear from sandladder.net, though I imagine customs and freight from Hungary would be cost-prohibitive.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I believe it's the same stuff, 3 rows wide, perforated with a raised edge. Originally 10' long that was then cut and repurposed for all sorts of things all over the world, including as sand ladders.

When used for landing strips and platforms, it had the interlocking edges. Those were routinely cut off for decades afterward, for use as sand ladders, fencing, all sorts of stuff.
View attachment 196698

View attachment 196695

View attachment 196697
View attachment 196696

There's another place, in OK, that sells old original Marston Mats, though only in bulk and for over a grand.

Hope you hear from sandladder.net, though I imagine customs and freight from Hungary would be cost-prohibitive.

You beat me to it. These are the original metal sand ladders that the modern ones are based off of.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Thought I would share these pics. They are from an original Land Rover that participated in the 1992 Camel Trophy held in Guyana (it’s up for sale). The sand ladders are most definitely surplus Marston Mats and they didn't even bother to trim the edges off. The edges actually grab into the ground as well as attaching to others.

disco.zizkoZyY8.jpg

PcLi_-uL9_.kMjk3SHEpx.jpeg

XnKQdEp-yiI.jpeg

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hey all,

Thanks!

Those look a lot like these; OKoffroad.com 4x4 Recovery - Sand Ladders

I found mine on my local craigslist, got lucky! IIRC they were $50. Some gal getting rid of her ex's stuff.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Even though some of the new (high-quality) recovery boards are of course really great, I'm also a big fan of classic aluminum sand ladders.

Unfortunately, I don't have an overview of the market in North America. In Europe there is a large range of sand ladders. But shipping to the US is currently presumably just as annoying as in the opposite direction, in terms of duration and customs processing, right?

I use the classics, as they were also shown above: 4mm thick with 4 longitudinal beads and good grip through relatively sharp-edged holes (caution because of possible tire damage) suitable for vehicles up to about 4 to. These sandladders usually come in 1.5 meter length or about 40 inches. I have cut mine to the length that suits me. In addition, there are now quite a number of manufacturers who have "reinvented" the classic sand ladders with partly fancy profiles. Whether it makes sense? I do not know. I am happy with the classics.

As a holder I use very simple hooks and hinged fasteners. They are available since many years. Simple and good. This simple attachment has the advantage that the sheets can be easily and quickly removed and put back. Also, the sand ladders fit so still in the holder, if they are sometimes slightly bent during a recovery. This is not always given with fancy modern holders (which then partly have double functions such as foldable tables). Also, I would not use any special screws or locks for fastening. From my experience these fall anyway only down and disappear never to be seen with in the mud or sand.

Will search my harddrive for some photos and post later.

Last edited:

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
You beat me to it. These are the original metal sand ladders that the modern ones are based off of.
Wow. I never realized what these were. I know where there is a huge PILE of these laying on public land from back in the coal mining days. I might have to go out there and do a "clean up" .