ALUMINUM EXTRUSION 2020 cargo shelf and barrier, quick and simple!

• HTML tutorial

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Hi all!

I like to share a quick and simple storage solution i made just before we went on a two week Norway trip.
Because i had very limited time before the trip and a "new" car i just wanted to build some sort of shelf i can throw light weight stuff on to like sleeping bags, pillows and a bunch of little junk you gather while on the move..

I could have used wood but i have worked and build with aluminum extrusion a couple times before,
i like the looks, simplicity of building and how strong it is for it's weight.
I went with the 2020 and 2040 extrusions this time.

image00004.jpeg

Every piece was delivered cut to lenght exactly how i ordered it, super nice and saves time!

image00010.jpeg

image00016.jpeg

image00012.jpeg

Super strong and very easy to build with these corners..

image00028.jpeg

Plywood shelf made to fit with a router..

image00030.jpeg

Looking slick..
I made it this size so i can take it in and out of the car in one piece, only unscrew two brackets in the back.

12V LED light strip just for the fun of making it..

IMG_0838.jpg

That LED strip did a nice job at camp when looking into the duffle for clothing or getting stuff out of the Alu box.

There you go.. quick and simple build.
I think i spend a €100,- in total on this build, a cargo barrier alone would cost €160 at least (were i live..),
and i can use these extrusions over and over again for other builds that come along.

Coming back from our 2 week Norway trip.. do i still like the shelf..?
Yes, but you throw a lot of little junk and bags on there and a lot of that has to come of before you start the day driving and exploring the country roads again.
So it worked out nice for this trip and limited time i had to build something,
but in the near future i can see some kind of awesome aluminum extrusion drawer build coming,
just to give all that stuff a nice fixed place in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited:

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

Mate I love it...! It's all neat and tidy, simple yet effective and that light is a great touch. Great job and keep the projects coming I'm looking forward to your next build and show.

Reactions: Boreal Overland

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Mate I love it...! It's all neat and tidy, simple yet effective and that light is a great touch. Great job and keep the projects coming I'm looking forward to your next build and show.
Thanks much!

Only a couple days back from our two week trip but all ready i spend a good portion of the day yesterday making drawings of my new to build
drawer system.. There are so many great build and ideas out there.. hard to decide which one is best for me but i figure it out soon.
I like to go as light as possible.. low height, good looking, and as functional as possible.. a nice puzzle but i all ready have something on paper so that's a start right..

Take care, stay safe.
Steve.

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

Tell me about it mate I've just got back from a six week trip and spent the last four days removing all the old wiring system out of my truck. As most of it was a patch together job between me the previous owner and well lets just say it was starting to look more like a fire hazard than a engine bay. It is true about all the great builds and ideas out there, like your light for instance. I would of never thought about running it in the aluminum extrusion like than.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is a really cool idea, and gives me ideas for my build out that I have been toying with over the past few days... I might have to break out some CAD tomorrow.

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
This is a really cool idea, and gives me ideas for my build out that I have been toying with over the past few days... I might have to break out some CAD tomorrow.
Thats awesome, I like to see what you come up with..

I do a decent job at building stuff... but CAD skills not so much I am afraid, pen and paper for me LOL

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thats awesome, I like to see what you come up with..

I do a decent job at building stuff... but CAD skills not so much I am afraid, pen and paper for me LOL
I love putting the pencil to the paper, but unfortunately I don’t have enough room to have a drafting board set up in my house... so CAD is the next best thing for me... I use Sketchup 2027 for CAD, one really cool feature is I can import materials strait into the drawing.

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Awesome job. Where did you buy the aluminium extrusion from? I just moved to France and am having a hard time finding materials, in large part because I don’t know where to look. Seems as if most of the materials i’m used to being able to pick up at a hardware store just aren’t that easily available here. So buying online is the next best option.

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Awesome job. Where did you buy the aluminium extrusion from? I just moved to France and am having a hard time finding materials, in large part because I don’t know where to look. Seems as if most of the materials i’m used to being able to pick up at a hardware store just aren’t that easily available here. So buying online is the next best option.
Hi, sorry for my late response..

There you go my friend!
The deliver across Europe..

Last edited:
Reactions: uncompromise