Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with alternatives to traditional stereos. I've been fixing issues with my rig, and while I had thought I could re-use my daughters old stereo, I found that it interferes with the defroster duct. That probably explains why the defroster never really worked, and probably why the duct was removed at some point. Gotta have the tunes, right?

So, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to find an alternative.

I started looking at bluetooth amplifiers and compact marine amplifier kits. The idea being I could use my phone as the source of the music and not necessarily need a head unit. The problem is that I've quickly found that I'm out of my element. I haven't been in the stereo game in quite a few years, so I'm not sure what options are out there. Just as important is that a lot of what I've seen are produced by "pyle" and "boss", which didn't have the best quality control and was considered cheap when I was more "in tune" with automotive stereo equipment manufactures.

Is anyone running anything that might fit the bill, or have any experience with such items? Maybe the brands I mentioned have gotten better over the years?

Thanks!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I have wanted to put in a newer head unit (double din) in my old Jeep Cherokee but the original stereo is a 1.5 din unit. To get it to fit in the dash I would need to cut into some of the ducting behind the unit. There are threads on how to do this but I am surprised there are not manufactures making slimmer units that fit into tighter spaces. I figured there would be ones that are just screens and the unit is located somewhere else in the vehicle and controlled through some type of bluetooth connection. All I really need is a connection to my playlists, lifetime Sirus/XM subscription and couple A/V inputs for rock crawler cams.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I have wanted to put in a newer head unit (double din) in my old Jeep Cherokee but the original stereo is a 1.5 din unit. To get it to fit in the dash I would need to cut into some of the ducting behind the unit. There are threads on how to do this but I am surprised there are not manufactures making slimmer units that fit into tighter spaces. I figured there would be ones that are just screens and the unit is located somewhere else in the vehicle and controlled through some type of bluetooth connection. All I really need is a connection to my playlists, lifetime Sirus/XM subscription and couple A/V inputs for rock crawler cams.
I want no part of trying to hack around the ducting :smile:. Been there, done that. I'm with you, too, you'd think they'd have something. Heck, my daughters head unit is 2 pieces, the indash portion, and a remote box with all the speaker / amp / video connections.

I know they have boat setups that are a small LED screen and remote amp / controller, but again the manufacturers were hit or miss back in the day.

I think I'm going to take a chance with a well reviewed unit and see how it goes. I'm pretty much the same in that all I need is a connection to my music. The rocker crawler cams were something I wanted to do with the existing unit, but if I can't have them, I'll figure something else out, even if it's simply mounting a screen to the roll bar. The tunes are my first priority. I've wheeled without cameras for a long time, so I'll be fine until I get to that part of the build since I can't seem to find a one stop shop for all of it.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jimmy P

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with alternatives to traditional stereos. ...
I started looking at bluetooth amplifiers and compact marine amplifier kits. The idea being I could use my phone as the source of the music and not necessarily need a head unit. The problem is that I've quickly found that I'm out of my element. I haven't been in the stereo game in quite a few years, so I'm not sure what options are out there. Just as important is that a lot of what I've seen are produced by "pyle" and "boss", which didn't have the best quality control and was considered cheap when I was more "in tune" with automotive stereo equipment manufactures.

Is anyone running anything that might fit the bill, or have any experience with such items? Maybe the brands I mentioned have gotten better over the years?
No Personal experience but I know that http://www.outofsightaudio.com/ head units have been used in some really high end hot rods over the last few years. The one I saw installed was done behind the drivers seat in an old VW bus so they could leave the dash original.

Boort

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
@Jimmy P
No Personal experience but I know that http://www.outofsightaudio.com/ head units have been used in some really high end hot rods over the last few years. The one I saw installed was done behind the drivers seat in an old VW bus so they could leave the dash original.
Boort
Thanks! I'll check them out and see what the reviews show. They look super small and seem like they'll fit the bill. I've got a good location to mount it, where the old computer used sit, and not needing a head unit is looking to be more and more appealing.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

What about a bluetooth speaker or speaker system (usb powered, not battery) - no need for a head unit, just a 'phone or tablet loaded with music and the speaker(s) can be mounted wherever you like.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
What about a bluetooth speaker or speaker system (usb powered, not battery) - no need for a head unit, just a 'phone or tablet loaded with music and the speaker(s) can be mounted wherever you like.
I've thought about this before, but have been concerned about the volume and the ability to power it. My kids have them, and while they are fine for their rooms or when they're out and about, I'm afraid they might be overpowered by engine and road noise. My Jeep is ridiculously loud :smile:

A cheap option is to get an Anker SoundCore and bluetooth it to your phone. I have one for my garage and am about to get another one just to have in the house.
We don't have the Anker speakers, I couldn't tell you the brand we do have off hand. I can say that they can't play and charge at the same time, and they don't get quite loud enough. Does yours allow you to play and charge? Also, how loud is it? Can you pair with more than one at the same time? That may be a phone limitation.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Yes, to be able to play and charge at the same time would be important, unless you remember to put it on charge every time you stop etc... a few hours of battery life would be a pain on the road.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've thought about this before, but have been concerned about the volume and the ability to power it. My kids have them, and while they are fine for their rooms or when they're out and about, I'm afraid they might be overpowered by engine and road noise. My Jeep is ridiculously loud :smile:

We don't have the Anker speakers, I couldn't tell you the brand we do have off hand. I can say that they can't play and charge at the same time, and they don't get quite loud enough. Does yours allow you to play and charge? Also, how loud is it? Can you pair with more than one at the same time? That may be a phone limitation.
You can play and charge at the same time. This one is super loud and comes with a good warranty. for around $40 one can be had. Not sure about pairing more than one since I don't believe you can do that with a bluetooth device, but I believe it does have an 1/8th inch audio jack, so in theory you could wire it with a splitter. It's plenty loud for my M715 and all of it's noise. Also, the battery life is amazing on this, so I'm not all that concerned with charging it all the time.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Sounds good (no pun intended :smilingimp:). Might give one a try in the Landrover.

Iphones will connect to up to 7 bluetooth devices at the same time, although 4 or 5 is the practical limit. If you have problems, just try connecting to each in a different order.
Airplay or Sonos can also help. There's various BT signal splitters available out there.
Also used to use a bit of software called GPSGate for splitting a single GPS bluetooth signal to several application on a laptop - but that's another story ...... wonder if it could be made to work the other way.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Sounds good (no pun intended :smilingimp:). Might give one a try in the Landrover.

Iphones will connect to up to 7 bluetooth devices at the same time, although 4 or 5 is the practical limit. If you have problems, just try connecting to each in a different order.
Airplay or Sonos can also help. There's various BT signal splitters available out there.
Also used to use a bit of software called GPSGate for splitting a single GPS bluetooth signal to several application on a laptop - but that's another story ...... wonder if it could be made to work the other way.
I did not know that iPhone's could connect to that many. Learn something new every day. That'll be handy for the OP assuming he has an iPhone.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Not sure this will help, what about looking into a marine stereo? I am sure West marine and other vendors have weather proof head units, that are Bluetooth, HD Radio, satellite radio also, that should fit the bill. On a side note, the great thing about HD Radio, is that it is free. No subscription to have to pay. Benz.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
You can play and charge at the same time. This one is super loud and comes with a good warranty. for around $40 one can be had. Not sure about pairing more than one since I don't believe you can do that with a bluetooth device, but I believe it does have an 1/8th inch audio jack, so in theory you could wire it with a splitter. It's plenty loud for my M715 and all of it's noise. Also, the battery life is amazing on this, so I'm not all that concerned with charging it all the time.
If you can hear it in a M715 I should be good in my CJ. I'm definitely intrigued by the minimal wiring, being it only needs a charging cable, and I can easily wire additional outlets. The only other thing would be to have it keyed hot, and not trying to remember to turn it off/on each time I get in. That's, by far, not the end of the world, but something I need to consider.

Christmas is coming, right? :smile:

I'm on android, but it sounds like there are a lot of options to run multiple units should I need them. That also allows me to start with one and expand if necessary.

You bring up another possible solution as well. I've toyed with putting in an onboard computer (a laptop and dock in the rear storage area) to handle some of the other tech stuff I want to play with. I could bluetooth to it, as you said that's another story :smile:

Not sure this will help, what about looking into a marine stereo? I am sure West marine and other vendors have weather proof head units, that are Bluetooth, HD Radio, satellite radio also, that should fit the bill. On a side note, the great thing about HD Radio, is that it is free. No subscription to have to pay. Benz.
I have a boat and marine audio solutions aren't bad at all. One problem I face is the actual size, and unfortunately the marine offerings that are "compact" are of the off brand variety. Dual, Pyle, Boss, etc. That takes me back to my original quandary. Their name brand offerings appear to simply be "protected" units.

I've actually heard great things about HD radio, but have never actually heard HD radio :smile:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I'm on android, but it sounds like there are a lot of options to run multiple units should I need them. That also allows me to start with one and expand if necessary.

You bring up another possible solution as well. I've toyed with putting in an onboard computer (a laptop and dock in the rear storage area) to handle some of the other tech stuff I want to play with. I could bluetooth to it, as you said that's another story :smile:

Not explored any android solutions, but a PC based system opens up a whole new world of techy life - PC based navigation being one of my favouites :sunglasses:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@nickburt
Not explored any android solutions, but a PC based system opens up a whole new world of techy life - PC based navigation being one of my favouites :sunglasses:
I've seen PC based ones come and go, Problem is generally power and spinning disks going bad. Going solid state can help with the disk problem, but even laptop PC's are power hungry. Using one of the embedded system hobby boards should offer a solution.

If you are considering that checkout these projects:
https://www.autopi.io/blog/build-a-raspberry-pi-touch-screen-car-computer/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a15446/diy-touchscreen-dashboard-raspberry-pi/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-carputer/

Boort

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

@nickburt

I've seen PC based ones come and go, Problem is generally power and spinning disks going bad. Going solid state can help with the disk problem, but even laptop PC's are power hungry. Using one of the embedded system hobby boards should offer a solution.

If you are considering that checkout these projects:
https://www.autopi.io/blog/build-a-raspberry-pi-touch-screen-car-computer/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a15446/diy-touchscreen-dashboard-raspberry-pi/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-carputer/

Boort
Indeed.
We used to run a netbook with a dc to dc power converter (12v to 19v - my netbook is only 2.1a - so no more than an Ipad etc...). Maybe I was fortunate, but never lost a disc drive.
Still got the netbook (Samsung N140, running XP) and it's still as good as the day it was new. Had to do a few software re-builds due to ending up with too much cr4p on it, but otherwise still good.
As it's running XP, I very rarely let it connect to the internet these days. All the software on it, I'm happy with as it is, so no updates needed. But if I do, I have decent firewall and anti virus on it anyway.
These days, everything for on board navigation we need is done on an Ipad with 4G and GPS built in. And the Ipad will stream to bluetooth speakers - so win win :smiley::smiley:

Edit to add, have often wondered how good a PI might be on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@nickburt
I've still got my old Hammerhead "tablet". It was surplus win 95 or NT box from a cop car, build from a CNC'ed aluminum billet. I was planning to convert it to linux, mount it in the truck for ODBII interface, Nav and music. I never got the old touch screen working reliably under linux and windows was just too much of a dog on this hardware. Still out in the garage somewhere I'm sure :D

Boort

Reactions: nickburt

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Before my injury, I was working as a telephone technician for CenturyLink. All my jobs for the day would be on a "hard Book" weatherized notebook. It held up great! Log all my jobs, maps to the next job site and much more. My air IPad, works well and has held up well too. Nice thing with my IPad, I can have the GPS and maps, plus all my tunes too. All in a screen size that is easy to see. I have the unlimited plan with Verizon, and have service in most places I go. Looking forward to seeing what you end up using and hope you give an update on how it works out! Benz.

Reactions: nickburt

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
My wife ended up picking me up a bluetooth marine amplifier (Pyle) for Christmas as the price wasn't bad, and she figured if it doesn't work, I can put it in our boat. I finally got around to to trying to get it put in the Jeep, and so far so good. Pairing was easy, and the sound is about as clear as my speakers will let it be. I'll be replacing the speakers in the relatively near future.

I still have to finish up the install, but a temp test showed me that all my wiring, etc, is good to go :smile:. Here's what I've got so far. Not the prettiest install, but better than what I've been known to do in the past :smile:. I'll try to remember to update after I've had some real time to evaluate it.

Reactions: Boort