Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Starting to think about a trip to the Alpine Loop in late August/ early September '22. Will make the trek up from Orange Co., CA and a buddy is planning on driving in all the way from TN. Have never been to the area and would greatly appreciate some local knowledge.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

how to break up days on the trails, where to camp, how big of crowds to expect the week before Labor Day, etc. I'll take anything you got. Never been there and can't be over prepared.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Shoot me a PM, and I'll get back to you. I've been there several times (all on motorcycle) and am going back this year with the Jeep. Tell me about how much time you have, rig types, experience level off road, hopes, etc. and I'll offer some help.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

I have been several times a year since I moved to NM. zgfiredude is right though, we need more info.
It will be crowded but it will be much worse on Labor Day weekend than the week before.

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have been several times a year since I moved to NM. zgfiredude is right though, we need more info.
It will be crowded but it will be much worse on Labor Day weekend than the week before.
We'll be there the whole week before Labor Day and will leave the Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend to hopefully avoid most of the crowds. At this point, hoping to get some advice on how to plan out days on trail. Which trails can chain together? Where should we start and end days to be most efficient with our time? This may be the only shot I get at getting up there, so want to make the most of it.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

Do you want to base camp or camp somewhere different each day? We always base camp, you can reach every trail and be back in time for dinner from one location.
If you don't already have it, get Charles Wells' book for the area. It is very good for planning your day and gives a good description of the trails.
Alpine Loop itself can be done in a day easily. You can string together Corkscrew, Hurricane, stop at Lake Como, and California with a stop in Animas Forks ghost town.
Some people put together Black Bear and Imogene but I have never done them together. I usually do one or the other and then Ophir or loop around on the paved roads.
If you search for "greater alpine loop" you will find a map that shows all of the trails in the area.