roadKing9503

Rank I

Contributor III

New Orleans, LA, USA
First Name
Lewis
Last Name
Sanders
Has anyone done the Alpine Loop in a full sized truck? I see it listed as a Jeep trail, and short wheel based vehicles are recommended. I have a 2019 Chevy Trail Boss that I’m starting to outfit, and that trail looks awesome.

Elco joe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ouray, CO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Skalsky
Member #

I did it in August of this year in my land cruiser and have done in previous years. The entrance closest to Ouray is very very rocky a lot more than previous years. There was one section that I hit my tow hitch, about a 2 foot climb over a small rock wall, there is no way around it the road drops off. The length and width of the full size truck could be challenging on some of the trails here in the san Juan’s. The other entrance to alpine loop from silverton can lead to cinnamon pass and engineer pass. If that’s what your looking for . I am not saying your truck can’t make it. there is narrow and tight spots along that end of the trail. Check out the visitor center when you get to town for recommendations.
The trails change year to year. Hope this helps

Reactions: roadKing9503

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Has anyone done the Alpine Loop in a full sized truck? I see it listed as a Jeep trail, and short wheel based vehicles are recommended. I have a 2019 Chevy Trail Boss that I’m starting to outfit, and that trail looks awesome.
I've done it a number of times in my Chevrolet Avalanche.. I've done nearly all the popular trails in that area in this truck.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Any portions that are particularly sketchy?
The Animas Forks / Silverton side of Engineer right below the pass is pretty steep. I wouldn't want to do if muddy. However, this loop is a main tourist attraction and is maintained more than you might realize.

The section of Engineer from Animas Forks towards Ouray (sometimes called Mineral Creek) is less maintained and more technical. An un-lifted truck is more likely to scrub on a few rocks here.

No trip to the area is complete without a run over Imogene Pass plus I'd highly recommend doing California Pass/Hurricane Pass/Corkscrew Gulch.

Here's a great resource. Be sure to look at the nearby tabs to see all the adjacent trails. Download their gpx files into something like Gaia if you're not doing that already.

One mistake many make in visiting this area is not realizing the window for these trails being clear is so narrow. July, August and maybe September are your best bets. If you come early in the season (June), keep an eye on this status page to ensure your destination is clear: Colorado High Country Status - Trails Offroad

If you are interested in any company, share your plans and invite others. You might find someone to travel with...including myself.

roadKing9503

Rank I

Contributor III

New Orleans, LA, USA
First Name
Lewis
Last Name
Sanders
The Animas Forks / Silverton side of Engineer right below the pass is pretty steep. I wouldn't want to do if muddy. However, this loop is a main tourist attraction and is maintained more than you might realize.

The section of Engineer from Animas Forks towards Ouray (sometimes called Mineral Creek) is less maintained and more technical. An un-lifted truck is more likely to scrub on a few rocks here.

No trip to the area is complete without a run over Imogene Pass plus I'd highly recommend doing California Pass/Hurricane Pass/Corkscrew Gulch.

Here's a great resource. Be sure to look at the nearby tabs to see all the adjacent trails. Download their gpx files into something like Gaia if you're not doing that already.

One mistake many make in visiting this area is not realizing the window for these trails being clear is so narrow. July, August and maybe September are your best bets. If you come early in the season (June), keep an eye on this status page to ensure your destination is clear: Colorado High Country Status - Trails Offroad

If you are interested in any company, share your plans and invite others. You might find someone to travel with...including myself.
Thank you for the info! Late July would most likely be our window for travel, coming from Louisiana.

Like I said in the original post, my new truck has a factory 2” lift, so I’m hoping that most of those trails are doable. I’ve driven off-road a good bit here in the swamp, but that’s a whole different environment out there.

I grew up in the mountains in Az, but that was before I could drive, lol.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thank you for the info! Late July would most likely be our window for travel, coming from Louisiana.

Like I said in the original post, my new truck has a factory 2” lift, so I’m hoping that most of those trails are doable. I’ve driven off-road a good bit here in the swamp, but that’s a whole different environment out there.

I grew up in the mountains in Az, but that was before I could drive, lol.

You'll be fine. My truck is totally stock. I just air down and often disconnect my sway bars. Don't underestimate how much you can improve your ride by airing down.

I would avoid Poughkeepsie Gulch and Black Bear Pass unless you've done your homework.

You might consider coming into or leaving the area via Stony Pass. That's a great overlanding route that is often overlooked.

BTW, I'm from LA too.........(Lower Alabama). :tonguewink:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I did it coming out of Silverton in my Tahoe. Great camping site just west of town along the river. Very beautiful area.

roadKing9503

Rank I

Contributor III

New Orleans, LA, USA
First Name
Lewis
Last Name
Sanders
You'll be fine. My truck is totally stock. I just air down and often disconnect my sway bars. Don't underestimate how much you can improve your ride by airing down.

I would avoid Poughkeepsie Gulch and Black Bear Pass unless you've done your homework.

You might consider coming into or leaving the area via Stony Pass. That's a great overlanding route that is often overlooked.

BTW, I'm from LA too.........(Lower Alabama). :tonguewink:
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I've been around the loop in the following over the last 12-13 years:
1990 Ford Bronco (Stock)
2005 Chevy Suburban Z71 (mostly stock)
2000 Chevy Silverado (Stock)
2012 Jeep Wrangler (not stock)

I have friends who have done it in:
2006 F250 (Stock all the way to ridiculously built)
2017 F150 (Stock)

I have also done a large portion of it in my 2003 E150 Van with 2wd..

Reactions: Sparksalot

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

So when you guys talk about airing down, what pressure do you recommend? My truck currently calls for 41psi in the stock tires that come with the Trail Boss.
There are a lot of variables in determining what pressure to run (size of tire, model of tire, weight of vehicle, terrain, etc), so some of it is just going to be trial and error. As for the general pressure for the main trails, it should't take much, but there are a lot of 'pointy' rocks, and many people get flats with their tires at full inflation. If yours calls for 41, I would think 30 or so would be enough for that. Now, if you're lowering it for better traction and you have been spinning, you might want to go down to 20-25. Start higher and work your way down as needed. In other words, if you start at 30 and are spinning still, drop to 27, then 25, etc.. The goal being only lowering as much as necessary.

And remember to air back up when getting back on pavement, particularly before driving at highways speeds.