Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

What is your all time favorite piece of camping gear and why? Mine is an ancient Revere Ware Copper Clad coffee pot. It's perfect for sitting right next to the fire in the morning and makes a pretty mean cup of joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

While I would like to say I don't care about brand names... when you find a brand that provides quality items then you kinda stick with it. Like ARB for instance. I've really come to realize you get what you pay for... whether it's buying steak for supper to buying a tent or fridge.

Cabela's Extreme Weather Tent - after going through multiple tents of varying quality I finally dropped a bit more coin on a good quality tent and have no regrets.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-outfitter-series-8482-xwt-xtreme-weather-tent-150-10-x-10-/713881.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=extreme%2Bweather%2Btent&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=extreme+weather+tent

Katadyn water filter - with this I don't have to pack in a whole pile of water. Once the initial 4 gallon jug is done or getting low I am able to use this filter to pump water from the lake. It uses multiple filters - including a charcoal filter. It works pretty good and is relatively compact... for Overlanding at least.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/safety-survival/water-purification|/pc/104791680/c/104774580/sc/104324580/katadyn-vario-water-microfilter/727431.uts?destination=/category/Water-Purification/104324580.uts

ARB fridge/freezer
This really felt like a luxury item when we first bought it... mainly because I thought it was expensive.... but it really was a game changer. We now are able to freeze ice packs for the alternate cooler (fridge stuff) and keep this ARB one as the freezer. 10 days in the bush and we are able to bring out pre-made hamburgers out of it and bbq them. No worries about ice and it's a nice solid unit with good battery protection options built in. I do have 2 deep cycle batteries and 80w of solar panels so it keeps things going nicely.
http://store.arbusa.com/fridges-c11.aspx

My wife's vote is for the kitchen kit. We use a Dewalt tool box that works great. This really keeps things organized and easy to get to.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-16-in-88-lbs-Rolling-Cantilever-Tool-Box-Black-DWST20880/205533355

10982447_812995842104560_7880565001484962489_n(1).jpg

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Mine is my Napier Backroads tent. It fits perfectly in the bed of my truck and gives a ton of room. The setup is quick and painless and it keeps me nice and dry in the PNW. Also, my Truckbedzz air mattress that fits between the wheel wells is the best air mattress I have ever slept on. I have never woken up to a deflated bed and it holds me and my fiancee no problem.IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1752.JPG

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
"The Green Coleman Stove" - - Either you have one or you know someone who has one. They've been around forever and there is a reason why. They're relatively inexpensive, simple and robust, durable, and run off those green propane bottles you can buy almost anywhere. Perfect for car camping--err, overlanding(sorry still learning the lingo) where the space/weight isn't a huge deal, as opposed to backpacking.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Titanium spork - Cleans with a wet paper towel, can eat a steak or a bowl of cereal with it.

Jet Boil - Super fast and easy to boil water in the morning for oatmeal. I usually pack my kitchen the night before leaving camp, so this fits the bill perfectly.

Oz Tent camp chair - Good padding, head pocket and side pockets. Adjustable support straps work pretty well too.

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

my MSR whisperlite interantionale stove & stow away pots

or if its just me the MSR pocket rocket & TI kettle

however now with my injury its one of my hammocks foremost
HH exped

grand trunk

or one of my DIY

Reactions: Novax326

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

My Engel fridge is by far the best camping item. Ice sucks around camp unless in your evening cocktail.

Next inline are my WWII surplus wool pants. Warm in the evening. Huge cargo pockets. And cost me like $13 almost 20 years ago and still going strong.

Finally my GSI Outdoors mini espresso maker. Take it backpacking and in the Cruiser. Four shots of espresso just gets the morning started in so many ways.

Reactions: trikebubble

jrbechthold

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, Texas
Member #

I second and third all the jetboil love out there - great stove.

My all time favorite piece of never-leave-home-without-it "gear" is my wobbie. US Army issued poncho liner.

IMG_5762.jpg

Here is me taking a nap halfway up Mt Fuji in June... and of course the woobie was there too!

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

For whatever reason, I really like our Nemo tent that was used for hiking and now serves double duty. Sleeps two just fine and it takes up no room in the Jeep.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Last year we got Exped MegaMat pads. They are 30 inches wide, 4 inches thick and roll down to a reasonable size. They self inflate (in 10 minutes or so) and you just have to pump them a bit for full inflation. There are valves for inflation and deflation so no fancy hand work is required, there's a foam bag pump.

The comfort is the key. They have some kind of memory foam inside, and the surface is stretchy so you sink into it. It's amazing. WAY more comfortable than anything other camping mat I've ever found.

We strap two together for a full queen bed and the baby sleeps between us. Tons of room.

These mats are really next level. Zero compromise with them. It's as comfortable, or more comfortable than our mattress at home. And the compressed size is comparable to a 2 inch Therm-a-rest or Dream Time, just a little longer.

-M

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I also really like REI Tents. For backpacking or when there is only two of us (which is never) I use our REI Quarter Dome 3. Light, roomy and bombproof.

For the family the REI Kingdom 6 has been going strong for 5 years.

It's big, I can stand up in it. Dog sleeps in the vestibule. Two BIG doors. and I can set it up without help.

The new ones have nice storage pockets along both long walls.

-M

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

I have to agree with the MSR Pocket Rocket and Jet Boil. I have to add my favorite bag for the trip, the Doppelduffel Adventure bag from Maxpedition. It is small enough to pack, but big enough to carry 10 day worth of warm clothes.

black007

Rank 0

Traveler I

My top 3 favorite things for the woods / camping would have to be my candle lantern, Mora Companion, and the Fiskars hatchet. All 3 stay in the vehicle at all times!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I always want to pack very, very minimal, my girlfriend glamps big. She always insists on throwing in a pop up, one of the 10x10 ones. I whine and dutifully load it, and every time, I'm so glad it's in there...we seems to have that freak rain, or need shade...something...everytime. So it goes in now.

a.wilson013

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

My Engel fridge is by far the best camping item. Ice sucks around camp unless in your evening cocktail.

Next inline are my WWII surplus wool pants. Warm in the evening. Huge cargo pockets. And cost me like $13 almost 20 years ago and still going strong.

Finally my GSI Outdoors mini espresso maker. Take it backpacking and in the Cruiser. Four shots of espresso just gets the morning started in so many ways.
A fridge and an espresso maker. That, my friends, is an overlander.

My favorite piece of camping gear would have to be my Front Runner director's chairs. After YEARS of toting around those chairs that fold to be like 6" x 6" x 36" these things are AWESOME. They fold down to be about 10" x 10" x 2" if I had to guess and fit perfectly in between the tiny gap left between my cooler and the side of my cargo area. Essentially no room.

The price kinda sucked at ~$50 each, but I absolutely love them.

Reactions: SLO Rob and Corbet