Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Here is the PRESS RELEASE from overland expo.
To be honest, I have a lot of emotions with this news. So I will just leave this here and maybe come back when I have come to words on what to say.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Reading their release, it is the smart, prudent, thing to do.

I've cancelled all my own plans for extended travel, workshop participation (both as leader and participant) and creative art and photography projects around North America for the rest of the year.

It's The Big Pause of 2020.

I think in the long run, having waded successfully through these unprecedented times, most of us will be wiser and better equipped for the future. I'm concentrating on doing what I can of a positive nature for the public and those in need.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

Road

Reactions: M Rose

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Totally bummed... but we get it. We moved our dates and made provisions to go, and although it is much hotter in July, we were excited. In light of the unknowns of the Pandemic, we will roll over our tickets, and hope many do the same in order to achieve a successful event in 2021. Good luck to Overland Expos, and we look forward to what is in store for 2021!

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Rolling my tickets to 2021 but keeping my camping reservations and travel plans. We'll just spend that weekend in the Coconino or Kaibab putting miles on the truck and nights in the tent!!!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yup, kinda saw this coming. Guess I have another year to prepare for my first NWOR.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
What is going to change in 2021? Do we actually think the Wuhan virus is gonna suddenly go away just because it's 2021?

An ridiculous that mass gatherings are not allowed but somehow mass protests are. Can't goto church but you can gather with a 1000 people in the streets.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

What is going to change in 2021? Do we actually think the Wuhan virus is gonna suddenly go away just because it's 2021?

An ridiculous that mass gatherings are not allowed but somehow mass protests are. Can't goto church but you can gather with a 1000 people in the streets.
I wish the politicians and justice system had reacted quicker to avoid the protests.

And 2021 will only be better IF they find a vaccine. I remember the polio epidemic in the 1950s, until that vaccine came out the pools and playgrounds were empty. No government order was needed, families kept their kids close.

Polio-Photo.jpg

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I wish the politicians and justice system had reacted quicker to avoid the protests.

And 2021 will only be better IF they find a vaccine. I remember the polio epidemic in the 1950s, until that vaccine came out the pools and playgrounds were empty. No government order was needed, families kept their kids close.

View attachment 157037
Message misunderstood. The people have a right to gather and protest if they want to. I completely agree with the protests. Not the riots of course but protests. I guess what I was trying to say was...if you walk on the beach, if you goto church, if you walk in the park...you would have the hammer brought down on you during the lockdown. But now that it's a just cause for some on a certain side of the isle, it's ok. It's like the Wuhan virus doesn't even exist anymore. Crazy!

An still can't goto church...weird???

An again, do you really think there is going to be a vaccine? There is no vaccine for any of the other coronaviruses that have been around for a long time. There is no vaccine for the common cold. Do you really think whatever they put out will be effective? These viruses adapt.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Do you really think whatever they put out will be effective? These viruses adapt.
The common flu vaccine changes every year, so yes, I do believe there will be a vaccine. Either we find the vaccine or we will voluntarily change our behavior just like we did with Polio..

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The safety and health of our attendees, exhibitors, and staff are of the utmost importance to us. After months of deliberation, research and consultation with local officials, we have decided to postpone all in-person Overland Expo events

This is what drives most work place legislation in Canada. Can the employer guarantee the health and safety of the employee. All public indoor spaces are non smoking not so much for the health of the patrons but because Workers Compensation stepped in to protect the workers.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

you would have the hammer brought down on you during the lockdown
Agreed, lockdown, shelter in place might make sense in New York, but for most rural areas it is retarded. Close the community yes. Block roads into the community yes. Do all you can to keep the virus out but until the virus gets in most smaller communities should have been allowed to function as normal. As Gunnison, CO did 100 years ago.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
The common flu vaccine changes every year, so yes, I do believe there will be a vaccine. Either we find the vaccine or we will voluntarily change our behavior just like we did with Polio..
The flu vaccine has not worked for 3 years running now. With so many strains of the flu, it's hard to pick which 4 mother nature wants to use year in and year out. They can put 4 strains in the shot now. Used to be 2.

How Many Different Types of Flu Are There?

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Nothing changes for me and I still think it's all over-reaction.
Y'all do what you think is needed, but don't shit on people that still go out and enjoy themselves.