GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
In my case it depends on variables. My vehicle has a lot of heavy stuff on top, and it's old (2005), it's an Armada. For some reason, every couple of months it loses alignments, so, I end up having to align it again. I don't like to have such a heavy vehicle and not aligned, I see it as unsafe. And, I do go back and align it after a trip on. a heavy trail!

Reactions: Johnmosessa

Johnmosessa

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

I see, thank you for the reply. Has a mechanic offered a remedy for that?
I am curious if upgraded leaf packs would help.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I only get an alignment if I replace a suspension or steering part, get new tires or if there is a noticeable reason to get an alignment. If you go deep into a rock garden or you regularly take whoops or washboard at over 60mph it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one done just because the chance you may bump something too hard.

Go with firestone their alignment is a lifetime deal for like $150. To answer your question with numbers I generally get an alignment 4 times per year at a minimum.
If you run alot of weight you should be checking everything alignment, wheel bearings,cv boots and axle shafts, shocks etc

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I only get an alignment if I replace a suspension or steering part, get new tires or if there is a noticeable reason to get an alignment. If you go deep into a rock garden or you regularly take whoops or washboard at over 60mph it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one done just because the chance you may bump something too hard.

Go with firestone their alignment is a lifetime deal for like $150. To answer your question with numbers I generally get an alignment 4 times per year at a minimum.
If you run alot of weight you should be checking everything alignment, wheel bearings,cv boots and axle shafts, shocks etc
This! Best deal out there. Most vehicles could use a alignment twice a year. I don't recall any one State that had perfect roads, and have never seen a perfect driver...LOL
Also honored at 3,000 plus stores across America.
Zim

Reactions: velo47

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Firestone has many other stores if none near you, Tires Plus is firestone and sure there are more.... Also look for coupons for the lifetime alignment, I got one for $99 and another for $109.....

Best deal running even at full price.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Honestly the only time an alignment should change is in the event of component wear or damage. If you are needing frequent alignments something is wrong and should be looked into, this is typical of badly worn steering or suspension causing an alignment setting to "drift".
The only time I have ever aligned any of my rigs is when I have replaced suspension/steering parts due to damage or wear. On my Escape that would be about 5 years ago when I did tie rod ends.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Honestly the only time an alignment should change is in the event of component wear or damage. If you are needing frequent alignments something is wrong and should be looked into, this is typical of badly worn steering or suspension causing an alignment setting to "drift".
The only time I have ever aligned any of my rigs is when I have replaced suspension/steering parts due to damage or wear. On my Escape that would be about 5 years ago when I did tie rod ends.
That's how I keep it. Alignment just when I replace bushings or tie rod ends or something like that, for example.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Every few trips, I check toe. The only time I have to adjust it is after smacking a good rock once or twice.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I do my own alignments. I do them by how my vehicle is handling and the tires wearing. I align using a tape measure a precision level and since I use solid axles, my results are always spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilldog

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Heh. Bubble gauge, tape and a couple of pieces of 2" angle. On my cars, I do the string for the front/rear toe.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
How often do you find yourself getting an alignment? After every trail? Or does it depend on other variables?
You should get an alignment check if you experience any of the following;
Steering wheel is not centered
Abnormal tire wear including cupping
Pulling, drifting, jerking left or right, or no steering wheel return to zero (caster)
Visual loss of positive, or negative camber (tire leans in or out more than normal
New suspension or steering parts installed
Gas mileage decreases
If you daily drive it, twice a year is recommended
I've done tires and alignments for decades, been to the Firestone school in Chicago twice. Alignments are important unless you have deep tire money pockets.
Zim

Reactions: GBGCR4x4 and velo47