Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I rode the Alcan on my TransAlp. Would love to go back in the Jeep. Tell us about the Rally.
View attachment 9475
As Expedition North posted. Its a TSD rally, which is the only drawback for me being that it's a $3000USD entry fee. If I'm up that way, I'd like to have time to explore some more, which is why I was curious.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I have driven the Alcan twice. May 1980 in a 1974 Olds Custom Cruiser Station Wagon (in the middle, Mt St. Helens blew up and added a chapter to the trip) four days from Hollywood CA to Anchorage, and again in 1982 with my wife in her 1974 German Opel Manta (very cool car) three and a half days from San Diego to Anchorage( we were flyin').

Thanks for the memories...

8>D

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

How did you like pulling the trailer? Is it a camper?
It wasn't too bad. I did that trip just after Thanksgiving 2014. The trailer is 5x10 enclosed, nothing special. One day when I learn some fab skills I'd love to turn it into a camper!

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

I have driven the Alcan twice. May 1980 in a 1974 Olds Custom Cruiser Station Wagon (in the middle, Mt St. Helens blew up and added a chapter to the trip) four days from Hollywood CA to Anchorage, and again in 1982 with my wife in her 1974 German Opel Manta (very cool car) three and a half days from San Diego to Anchorage( we were flyin').

Thanks for the memories...

8>D
That is flyin'! That was back before the road was nice! I've driven the Alcan 8 times. Made it once from North Pole, AK to Salt Lake City in 3.5 days.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
That is flyin'! That was back before the road was nice! I've driven the Alcan 8 times. Made it once from North Pole, AK to Salt Lake City in 3.5 days.
Yup. It was gravel except about 100 k each side of Whitehorse. But they ran graders everyday and it wasn't difficult to hit 70 mph even in the gravel. You just had to be good a flat trackin'... Then when you hit the Alaska border it turned into pavement with potholes and frost heaves that could launch you into the air. Crazy driving...

Reactions: CHILL907

CHILL907

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Peoria, AZ
Member #

Do you happen to have a KML or GPX track? Also, did you explore side trails like Telegraph Creek?
I'm pretty new to this high tech overlanding stuff. Most of my trips were business in nature and I didn't get off the beaten path. On one trip we took the Cassiar Highway and took a spur road down to the towns of Stewart and Hyder.