Alberta expedition

• HTML tutorial

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Anyone interested in exploring the area west of Swan Hills April 22/23, 2017? I'll be heading out that way for a tour & thought I'd see f anyone cared to join. There will be snow, mud, and water crossings, but nothing too crazy.

Let me know if you're interested.

Reactions: Jason Clark

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Yeah, looks like I'll be flying solo on this one. Which is fine. I do like having a mobile winch point, but I'll survive. lol

My brother has lived in Swan Hills for 30 some odd years and he's going to take me out where the grizzly's hang out in the spring... That oughta be interesting. :-)

Reactions: Carnivore

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

In the spirit of "Pics or it didn't happen"!

Toured around Swan Hills a bit this past weekend. Got snowed on, Day one was a mud day, and day 2 was a snow day.
Swan HIlls Apr 2017.jpg
Nice view up in the hills. A bit socked in and chilly.
1.JPG
So I went up the Grizzly Highway (33) to The Grizzly capital of Alberta (Swan Hills), headed north west to the grizzly range and... Of course we saw this guy. Had lunch while we watched him grazing. Very cool.
2Grizz 1.JPG 3Grizz 2.JPG 4Grizz 3.JPG
Camped for the night
6.JPG
The road the next day had a lot of water across it. Soft in a lot of places. The tracks in the slush on the water are from determined Ducks swimming around.
7.JPG
Another decommissioned road
8.JPG
Muskeg falls?
10.JPG
Below is Jim's hill in the distance. Local legend has it that Jim was climbing it in a water truck when he got stuck and started to slide backwards. Brakes wouldn't hold so he bailed, and the truck ran over him. Brutal. Safety first! You can still see where the truck plowed a path into the trees half way down.
11.JPG
Clifford gained 500lbs of ice.
12.JPG
Cool little trappers cabin near the Freeman river:
13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Awesome shots man. Decommissioned roads are the best. Looks like the majority of it would be 2wd doable. Nice.

Thanks for sharing!

John

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Awesome shots man. Decommissioned roads are the best. Looks like the majority of it would be 2wd doable. Nice.
It was a lovely time and beautiful country. The roads are surely doable in a 2wd. But there's a few spots where creeks are on roads, and long muddy hills that would be less fun. The Pipelines, cut lines and decommissioned stuff you'd be hard pressed to do it without 4wd. But with a liberal application of speed I'm sure one could get good and deep! :-)

Reactions: Carnivore

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Thought 2wd might be reaching a little, after I hit post lol. Can't wait until work normalizes to get out more with the family.

Jason Clark

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Calgary Alberta Canada
Member #

In the spirit of "Pics or it didn't happen"!

Toured around Swan Hills a bit this past weekend. Got snowed on, Day one was a mud day, and day 2 was a snow day.
View attachment 22124
Nice view up in the hills. A bit socked in and chilly.
View attachment 22125
So I went up the Grizzly Highway (33) to The Grizzly capital of Alberta (Swan Hills), headed north west to the grizzly range and... Of course we saw this guy. Had lunch while we watched him grazing. Very cool.
View attachment 22126 View attachment 22127 View attachment 22128
Camped for the night
View attachment 22129
The road the next day had a lot of water across it. Soft in a lot of places. The tracks in the slush on the water are from determined Ducks swimming around.
View attachment 22130
Another decommissioned road
View attachment 22131
Muskeg falls?
View attachment 22132
Below is Jim's hill in the distance. Local legend has it that Jim was climbing it in a water truck when he got stuck and started to slide backwards. Brakes wouldn't hold so he bailed, and the truck ran over him. Brutal. Safety first! You can still see where the truck plowed a path into the trees half way down.
View attachment 22133
Clifford gained 500lbs of ice.
View attachment 22134
Cool little trappers cabin near the Freeman river:
View attachment 22135 View attachment 22136 View attachment 22137
Great story, thanks for the post. If we ever head up that way we'll get some info off of you

Sent from my HTC One M9 using OB Talk mobile app