Alaska

• HTML tutorial

EvilBunny

Rank 0

Contributor I

My buddies are asking me to go on a trip with them to Alaska this summer. I'm in love with the idea and am going to get my Jeep finished up as soon as possible to be ready. But the issue is we don't really know where we want to go in Alaska. Any ideas of places to stop on the way up? We are driving up from the bay area in California up through Oregon and Washington. Thinking i'll stop at the sand dunes in Oregon But that's all I have in mind. Thoughts? Probably going to drive up in a week or so stay for a few days and take another week to come back. Unfortunately that's about $650 each way in gas (rough estimate) Pricey Pricey trip. I think the experience is worth it. The gas will be split between us 3 though. I'm thinking of ending my trip and camping out in Denali national park but if anyone has a cooler destination post it up i'd be interested to see. Planning on carrying all freeze dried food as it's cheap to save money (About $100 for 30days worth depending what you get) We will all be 18 so we can't afford to eat out at most stops and don't have the car space for coolers to carry fresh foods. the 30 day packs for one person are only about 5 gallon bucket size. And i'll just carry 3 5 gallon water cans up on the roof rack next to the other fuel cans. Another question that brings do I have to worry about the water cans freezing over while staying in Canada and Alaska? If so how could I prevent it?

Last edited:

beyondthepavement

Local Expert Alaska, USA
Launch Member

World Traveler I

North Pole , Alaska
First Name
Marek
Last Name
Dodson
Member #

if you are coming to Alaska in the summer you have very little worry about water freezing. our temps in summer ranger from 50 degrees to over 90 during the day.
Liard Hotsprings in Canada is a awesome place to stop.
Kennecott mine is a interesting place.
Brushkana creek camp grounds on the Denali Hwy is a quiet place to camp..not far off from Mt. Mckinley national park..
Here's a little secret... the best place to view of Mt. Mckinley is on the road to Talkeetna, there is a pull off before you get there.