Colorado
Member #

@beyondthepavement
@907Alex
@Joker_Whiskey
@dowell2881
@Ak-Explorer
@Mikemac

Good day all. I don't mean to thread crap. Do you happen to have any meet ups going scheduled? I might get an opportunity to visit to the Fairbanks/Delta Junction (maybe Tok) area in March or April. Would enjoy meeting up if it works out.

Looking for some advice
  • Great Eats
  • Places to that will be accessible to take Landscape/Nightscape (+hopefully Aurora!)/ maybe Wildlife pictures.
  • Where to rent/borrow some maxtrax or similar since we will be stuck in a rented 4x4 and not in the rig.
  • Things to do if weather turns.
  • Advice for enjoying AK in the late Winter, how to stay safe ETC...

Thanks in advance!
Boort

Reactions: beyondthepavement

beyondthepavement

Local Expert Alaska, USA
Launch Member

World Traveler I

North Pole , Alaska
First Name
Marek
Last Name
Dodson
Member #

@Boort
Thanks for checking us out. If you let me know when you will be here i can see about scheduling something to coincide with your visit.
At that time of the year most things are still snowed in. There are some places that do snowmachine rental/tours.
Chena Hotsprings does a northern lights tour and the drive up might see some moose or other critters. Last I was their the food wasnt to bad.
Dog sled rides might be something to look into. Lots of places offering them.
Food, there is a lot of choices.
Just use common sence and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: M Rose and Boort

907Alex

Rank 0

Traveler I

Fairbanks, Alaska
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kiely
March/April is an odd time to come up. Allot of places will still be closed for the season and still snowed in. If you happen to come up begging of April you could check out arctic man. It’s a big snowmobile party essentially it gets pretty rowdy. And would be a good spot to camp for a night or two. Haven’t been to tox yet and delta is pretty small town. You’ll definitely see some critters probably caribou and moose for sure. Northern lights will be prettt iffy at this point. Definitely not impossible but iffy. Prepare for 0-30° weather (average that time of year) the scenery is jaw dropping anywhere you go. Chena hot springs is a nice get away. Make sure to go on a weekday to avoid the tourist. Drive up the Steese or Elliot is always pretty. Allot of the tourist places like denali don’t open till mid may though @Boort

Ak-Explorer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Pole, AK, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Hertzberg
Member #

@Boort

I would say everything is weather dependent on what you can do for winter activities depending on your likes and level of adventure. It’s the start of our break up. Most trails are Definitely snowed in unless we get freak weather and a lot of rain. Denali HWY is still snowed in, the Top of the World HWY is stilled snowed in. Lakes are still frozen over, Northern lights happen all year, just the summer we don’t have any darkness to see them, April you just have to stay up a little later. Chena HOT Springs can be fun, there are also other hot springs that you can drive and then hike too if you like that sort of thing. I have been told that Denali hasn’t and will not be plowed for visitors, but I have not confirmed that. one can easily go see a glacier or two depending on how far you want to drive, there is one just south of Delta. The Arctic circle is a long and somewhat boring drive open all year, but a lot of people like to go up there. There is a lot of photography options year round if you like that sort of things.