Alaska/BC bound

• HTML tutorial

tlpcorn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sausalito, CA
Member #

Hey all-

I'm a new member, but have been following along OB's instagram for a while now. My girlfriend and I have been planning on leaving our jobs in SF to travel by truck to Alaska for a few months.

The planned route is up through Oregon, Washington, BC, Vancouver Island, Alaska, Yukon, back through BC into Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, etc. One giant loop...

I'd love to hear any feedback from similar trips or trips in those areas. The idea of this entire trip is to stay off the pavement as much as possible. We are constantly in the dirt in the Mendocino National Forest, Stanislaus, Big Sur, Sierras, Death Valley, etc. So trips similar to that as much of the way as possible.

We have my 2011 Tundra double cab with an RTT, awning, winch, etc with an M-416 trailer, looking to surf (obviously only on the coast), kayak, and mountain bike all over the place.IMG_0719.JPG

Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated. If anyone will be in any of the areas I mentioned from June-October/November, it's always great to meet up with like-minded adventurers.

Hope to hear back or see some of you on the trails!

Cheers,
Pierce
IG: @piercebypierce (sometimes it's easier to chat there)

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Well I can't give you any feedback on your route, just encouragement. It sounds excellent and I wish I could do it. take lots of photos and upload regularly. all the best on your trip.

tlpcorn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sausalito, CA
Member #

IMG_0754.JPG
Well I can't give you any feedback on your route, just encouragement. It sounds excellent and I wish I could do it. take lots of photos and upload regularly. all the best on your trip.
Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I definitely will take tons of pictures. If you happen to be around any of the places I mentioned, let me know!

Reactions: Captain Chaos

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Sounds like a great road trip.

If you're so inclined, you could catch a ferry from Vancouver to the island. Drive Vancouver island north to Port Hardy. Catch a 16 hour ferry ride from port hardy to prince Rupert and continue north from there. Or a shorter ferry to Bella coola. The inside passage is an epic ferry ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tlpcorn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sausalito, CA
Member #

Sounds like a great road trip.

If you're so inclined, you could catch a ferry from Vancouver to the island. Drive Vancouver island north to Port Hardy. Catch a 16 hour ferry ride from port hardy to prince Rupert and continue north from there. Or a shorter ferry to Bella coola. The inside passage is an epic ferry ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks f0r the info! We'd love to hop on a ferry, but some of them can be so expensive. I see you have a KTM.... If you have any good spots to ride or want to join for some single track, that'd be awesome too! Debating on whether or not I bring my 450 exc.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I'll be in Kelowna, BC a couple of times this summer visiting my brother. You can run some single track with us July 8/9, or run the whipsaw trail with us on Aug 12/13. I'll be doing the Whipsaw in my Tundra with a few Jeeps. They like to make me lead. I like to think it's because of my superior leadership, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my trucks extensive girth pushes the branches away.

tlpcorn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sausalito, CA
Member #

Haha, that'd be awesome. Yeah, if the timing works, would be a great to get on some single track! I'll let you know closer to those dates.

Reactions: dblack

Snowflake

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mookioe
Last Name
Tierney
I'm also interested in this type of route. Keep me posted on what happened with this. Always a shame to have an exciting conversation before the fact and then I can't find what happened! I'm a mountain biker and climber as well so would love to have a trip that traveled up the coast either by ferry/car etc and then had pit stops in certain places. My research focuses on sea level rise, ecological biodiversity and first nation land management so any guidance there would also be much appreciated.