Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Ty
Last Name
Chamberlain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6HHJ
Late July, early August my self and a fellow Overlander have carved 2 weeks to do Alaska. Luckily we both have 2017 Tacoma ORSB’s. So parts are dual purpose.

I have 3 main questions

1, what kind of gear/spares will I need for these newer Tacoma trucks?

2, for those of your who have been up there what where the best things you did or would do when you go back. For those of you who haven’t been, what would you do?

3. Camping spots anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Not specific to your questions, but here are several threads pertaining to Alaska. Some have to do with planning and what to see during your travels. Some are completely unrelated, but it was easier presenting you with the list rather me picking which ones you might find helpful.

Link: https://goo.gl/iCoheh

Reactions: Cullen Powers

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Trotter - hmmm we may have to talk!
Answers to your questions - spares/parts - we have never encountered any major issues on the roads - mostly paved and good grade gravel roads. Whitehorse is well serviced. So is northern BC when it comes to parts/tires given all the oilfield activity.
What to do - fishing is fantastic, some cool history to check out, some back roads to get away from the traffic and great random camping in remote sites - much like Alberta - Yukon campsites/parks were nice and not expensive. Liard Hot Springs is a must. Muncho Lake, Watson Lake, Minto, Dawson City, top of the World Highway to Eagle Alaska and Chicken Alaska. If you have time come back via the Stewart Cassiar Highway to Hazelton - great route passing Dease Lake/Telegraph Creek Road and the Jade Fields.

Traveler I

Oregon
Planning a 2019 Alaska trip. What I’ve found is the Dalton HWY has a ton of pull off dispersed camping and different established camping. I try to just use forestry roads between the towns we want to hit up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
A few of us from southern Alberta are making our way up to Alaska and NWT in August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Questy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I lived in Alaska for 9 years. Here are some thoughts.

Depending on how far north you’re headed, the Denali Highway (all major roads in Alaska have names, not numbers — because there are so few) is 135 Miles of gravel that has spectacular views. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali_Highway).

Head up to Hatcher Pass outside of Palmer.

If you make it to the Kenai Peninsula, the There’s great hiking and camping in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge.

Drive and camp on the beach near Kasiloff/Kenai.

Go to Homer and eat local oysters. Don’t camp spit but rather go to Seasode Farms. Eat at Cafe Cups, La Baleine, Finns Pizza, Homer Bagles and Katchemak Bay Coffee.

Even though it’s expensive, if you can swing it, take the time and expense to fly to Katmai and see the bears. Halo Bay is one of the best providers.

The art museum and native history museum in Anchorage are amazing.

Go to Seward and take the full Kenai Fiords tour to Northwestern Fiord. Check out Reserect Art.

Drive to McCarthy, tour the old mine.

It’s a big place. Have fun. Take rain gear and by a pair of extra tuffs so you can enjoy the beaches and rivers.