Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

BTW...The last time I camped at the overlook for two nights, somewhere between 75 and 100 people visited the overlook that day. Two overlanding groups came thru and everybody stops there. If I ever camp there again, it will be just for the night and then I’ll travel somewhere quieter to spend the day.

Reactions: LanceK

LanceK

Rank V

Advocate II

Foley, Alabama 36535, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Kindley
Member #

Hi , Alabamian Dirt Lovers.

I'm new to Overland Bound. My Wife and I have been campaigning Alabama dirt for over a year in our 2019 4Runner. We were in Talladega National Forest last April and did the 600-2 road. What a blast! This summer we've been checking out Conecuh National Forest since it is only two hours away. It is a great one night weekend romp. Attached photo show our 4Runner in Talladega National Forest before we got our rack and RTT.20210413_132611_02 (2).jpg

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
what's good in alabama?

i got out of the navy in '91 and moved to the swamps of south east louisiana as a commercial diver. been retired a while and was hitting east tennessee a good bit and then dropped down to georgia and have been really enjoying it and wondering what alabama has to offer. didnt find much in mississippi and was hoping to find something good within a day's drive. looks like the north east part of alabama has stuff??

LanceK

Rank V

Advocate II

Foley, Alabama 36535, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Kindley
Member #

what's good in alabama?

i got out of the navy in '91 and moved to the swamps of south east louisiana as a commercial diver. been retired a while and was hitting east tennessee a good bit and then dropped down to georgia and have been really enjoying it and wondering what alabama has to offer. didnt find much in mississippi and was hoping to find something good within a day's drive. looks like the north east part of alabama has stuff??
Hey Grub, I want to thank you for your service in the Navy and the sacrifice that came with it.
I was up in the Talladega National Forest this last April. I think you will find some back road Alabama dirt that you will enjoy. I found out about Talladega by watching YouTube vids from searches of Talladega National Forest and road 600-1 and 600-2. We stayed at Cheaha State Park. The highest point in Alabama.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Hey Grub, I want to thank you for your service in the Navy and the sacrifice that came with it.
I was up in the Talladega National Forest this last April. I think you will find some back road Alabama dirt that you will enjoy. I found out about Talladega by watching YouTube vids from searches of Talladega National Forest and road 600-1 and 600-2. We stayed at Cheaha State Park. The highest point in Alabama.
That overlook back in Post #22 is on the very same route of which LanceK speaks. One of my favorite routes in AL, though I’ve only done the challenging part once.The road from the overlook to the mai road is pretty tame, south of there - not so much.

Reactions: LanceK

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I’m in Huntsville. one day I’ll be done building my truck. The adventures of building during COVID times.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Decatur here I've only hit up stoney lonesome but want to do 600 as well. I'm new and still working on my rig. Just finished refreshing suspension and am currently building sliders and skids, and have one plate left to weld on bumper.
How’s Stoney Lonesome in a car? When I drive by there, I see mostly ATVs and dune buggies. I also see videos with some pretty extreme terrain. Is there an area that’s not quite so severe for folks without a winch or rock sliders?

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

in the same boat. Almost done with the brunt of mine. Major stuff. Took me 8 months to get my lockers

Rogue_Cruiser

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
OLiver
Decatur here I've only hit up stoney lonesome but want to do 600 as well. I'm new and still working on my rig. Just finished refreshing suspension and am currently building sliders and skids, and have one plate left to weld on bumper.
How’s Stoney Lonesome in a car? When I drive by there, I see mostly ATVs and dune buggies. I also see videos with some pretty extreme terrain. Is there an area that’s not quite so severe for folks without a winch or rock sliders?
It's not bad. I only did the easy trails but I'm new to offroading. There were a ton of yj and jk wranglers. We had a ton of fun and it was 15 bucks for all day. Not sure if they have a inside gas station. I didn't see one.