Alabama Hills

• HTML tutorial

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Checkout the Manzanar Japanese internment camp just outside of lone pine. Very interesting history to be seen. Whitney portal is also cool to see. Alabama hills is awesome, we found the trails with the high clearance etc warnings on the map and found the best spots to camp. The harder trails really aren’t hard at all, it just keeps the camrys and civics out. There’s some great spots overlooking the valley opposite of mt Whitney, we stayed in a different spot each night when we were there to enjoy a different perspective of the area and really liked it. FYI the Alabama Hills area is right next to the town of lone pine which we didn’t realize so if you forget something or need gas etc, it’s right there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

SSG_Gonzo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paso Robles, California
Member #

Well we returned from our three day trip. Didn't make it to the Manzanar Japanese Camp, however we did make it up to the Cerro Gordo Ghost town (wasn't impressed due to the mix of modern and old). The exciting part was taking the trail out of the ghost town to Swansea. From my understanding we did the trail in reverse and let me tell you, there were a few spots that made me think twice about my manhood lol. Also on the trail was my buddy @BrandonS who introduced me to OB and two of my other friends.

BrandonS and SSG_Gonzo.jpg
BrandonS (Black Ranger) and SSG_Gonzo (White Jeep) IMG_20171029_102752.jpg
The Crew (from Left to Right) new OB Member @BRM Exploration with Jeep Grand Cherokee, @BrandonS with Ford Ranger, me SSG_Gonzo and brother in law soon to be another OB member.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
You guys passed by our camp maybe a couple times, I recognize those rigs!

Could the weather have been better? I don't think so.

I was the guy tucked behind the rocks in the white 80 series and the trailer.

20171028_083810_1509323367505.jpg

Thought I should wave and say hi but didn't make the opportunity, my loss.

Did you guys see that 100 series landcruiser that burned down up at Cerro Gordo? I think that was you that left just as we arrived. What time did you finish the Swansea trail? We were going to do that but felt like we were running out of daylight on an unknown trail.

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: GHQ1

SSG_Gonzo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paso Robles, California
Member #

You guys passed by our camp maybe a couple times, I recognize those rigs!

Could the weather have been better? I don't think so.

I was the guy tucked behind the rocks in the white 80 series and the trailer.

View attachment 38530

Thought I should wave and say hi but didn't make the opportunity, my loss.

Did you guys see that 100 series landcruiser that burned down up at Cerro Gordo? I think that was you that left just as we arrived. What time did you finish the Swansea trail? We were going to do that but felt like we were running out of daylight on an unknown trail.

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
Oh wow yeah I remember you. I had asked you if you had seen my buddy in the Cherokee. We saw the land cruiser, that was horrible. Feel bad for who ever that happened to.

The weather was absolutely perfect, especially since it just lasted the weekend.

The Swansea route was rough. We took it slow and ended up camping up at the cabin there and finished our run the following day. Great run with some good technical stuff.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

accelerometer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

San Francisco, CA
Member #

That Swansea route is one of my favorite Death Valley trails. Just challenging enough to make it interesting but with tremendous views. Alabama Hills is also my favorite place to camp in CA was just there a couple of weeks ago! It's pretty small though, how did you spend 3 days there?!