Alabama Hills - March 30 - April 2

• HTML tutorial

Should we camp in a campground or off the grid?

• Campground with vault toilets and a bunch of random people super close by.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the middle of nowhere with a shovel.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

bzuni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside, CA
Member #

I thought it would be fun to invite anyone who wants to come to Alabama Hills for camping/wheeling/exploring easter weekend. I've got three kids under 9 so I'm definitely bringing Easter eggs and candy so I thought a family oriented weekend could be cool. I'm also looking for advice on where to camp (I'm between just going to a campground or trying to do something off-grid, and advice on wheeling/exploring routes. Comment if you 1. Are interested in coming 2. Have good ideas for routes or camping locations or 3. Have a better name than "Off-Road EGGS-travaganza" :) After we hash some stuff out, I'll create a rally point, if I can figure that out.

Thanks, OB community!

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperSeven

Traveler I

Sounds fun. We didn't get to check out Alabama hills when we went up to Lone Pine so we are excited to head back.
We have 2 boys (6 & 2) that will be stoked for this.
I'll bring some boiled eggs we can decorate out there then hide for the kiddos.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

There are lots of places to primitive camp in the Alabama Hills / Movie Flats area. However, there are often lots of other people camping there as well. You can judge it when you get there. The advantage of being in the hills is that kids like to climb the rocks. I like that area, but usually set up camp in the hills just to the north. I have always had it to myself. https://goo.gl/maps/fNsz7chW5xt

Norcal Overlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento, CA, USA
Member #

Hey guys, so I have created a group from Sacramento with 3 rigs going to Alabama hills that weekend , we prob will have 4 to 5 kids with us. We would love to team up with you guys if thats cool. Its our first time there so I have been researching good off the grid camp sites and roads to explore.

Reactions: bzuni

BryceL

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

I was just there a couple weeks ago. I would imagine it would be a great place for kids to explore/climb around on the rocks. I'd recommend running the trail up to Cerro-Gordo mine. It's private property so you'll want to call ahead and schedule a tour if you want to look around the buildings. The trail head is maybe 20-30 minutes south of Alabama Hills. Good day trip.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Hey guys, I'm taking the family (4 kids ages 5 - 10) down to Joshua Tree and Calico Ghost Town the week of 27-31MAR and think an Easter weekend, egg hunt, ghost town & some trails in Alabama Hills sounds like an unforgettable experience. Do you have any more details/itinerary?

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Shazar, SuperSeven, I haven't heard from anyone on the board regarding this trip, but I'm taking the family to Alabama Hills Friday night (March 30) and camping throughout the weekend. I'm driving up to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town on Saturday and then hanging out doing the Easter thing on Sunday. If you guys are interested in linking up or simply driving to Cerro Gordo as a group, let me know.

Reactions: bzuni and Shazar

Shazar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Shazar, SuperSeven, I haven't heard from anyone on the board regarding this trip, but I'm taking the family to Alabama Hills Friday night (March 30) and camping throughout the weekend. I'm driving up to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town on Saturday and then hanging out doing the Easter thing on Sunday. If you guys are interested in linking up or simply driving to Cerro Gordo as a group, let me know.
Hey Jazzy13, thanks for reaching out! I like your idea. Our drive time would put us at Alabama Hills around 7/8pm Saturday night. I'll keep you posted, let me work on the logistical part of it!

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Shazar, I just got word that one of my wife's best friends from back east is flying into LA Easter weekend and wants to meet up along the coast. So, as much as I hate to do this, I have to cancel the Alabama Hills portion of our trip and instead head west Friday night. Sorry about that...Alabama Hills is what I was looking forward to most! Tomorrow I'll start planning, going to focus on Los Padres Nat'l Forest for some camping and wheeling...I've never been, so should be interesting. I'll let you know if I find something in case you can make it down or want to check it out later.

Reactions: Shazar

bzuni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside, CA
Member #

I am the absolute worst. Started the thread and then didn’t check back [emoji17]. Just for an update, we’re planning on heading out Friday morning and staying a couple days. Let me know if you are interested and I can DM you the info!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: Shazar

Norcal Overlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento, CA, USA
Member #

I am the absolute worst. Started the thread and then didn’t check back [emoji17]. Just for an update, we’re planning on heading out Friday morning and staying a couple days. Let me know if you are interested and I can DM you the info!

I will be getting to alabama hills around 2pm friday and there for 2 nights, ghost town on saturday midday . look for white norcal overlanders tacoma with rtt.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
You should check out Reward Mine up that way, and for older kids, the Manzanar Internment Camp is an interesting historical stop, more so for adults if I'm honest, but my teenagers were affected by it.

Reward Mine road in is directly across from the main entrance to the Manzanar museum / visitors site. You can drive into the mine, or walk in. Take a flashlight!

Cerro Gordo is very cool, calling ahead is a courtesy, but I've never called ahead, the caretaker has been very gracious.
Prepare to donate some money or buy some stuff from the "worlds highest garage sale" or something like that. That's how he provides for himself to keep it open.
Lone Pine is a cool town as well, but pretty small, spring is awesome up there. Wish I could join you, have fun!

Dan.

bzuni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside, CA
Member #

I will be getting to alabama hills around 2pm friday and there for 2 nights, ghost town on saturday midday . look for white norcal overlanders tacoma with rtt.
I think we’re out [emoji17]. We decided to stay closer to home since I don’t think we’ll be able to stay that long, and we started figuring out the cost of gas for a few hundred more miles. We’re doing Anza Borrego instead (also wanted to get out there before it gets too brutally hot in the desert). Hope you guys have a good time!