Alabama Hills + Bishop during Summer? How is it?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,

I've camped during the summer when temps were reasonable. Less than 90 degrees, and there were things to do, such as sit by a lake or go swim in a lake. But this year, I'm thinking about heading to Alabama Hills and Bishop where temps look to be 100+..

How is camping there? Are there even things to do during the day?

I've been there before during the winter and spring where temps were cold/cool and I was able to go climbing/hiking during the day. But at 100+, it seems insane to go climbing/hiking. Do people even still go here during the summer? lol

Thanks

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

For us it is too hot, we will wait till late fall, only thing to do is go into town and look for free air conditioning spots. LOL

Not sure what it would be like up the hill?

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

800_9576.jpg

Summer time does sound warm.
Do you like to climb rocks? Even half heartedly? The rock formations are super cool to explore or climb on if you like. There are trails leading all around in between the rocks. I was surprised by how much wildlife is in the immediate area. Little rabbits and lizards in the rocks, lots of birds in the sky. I think its due to the stream that runs through the north end of the area. It reminded me of an above water coral reef.

Lone Pine is just 5 minutes away. Its a nice little town with everything you could need, including hotel/motels with a/c.

Whitney Portal is also very close. I haven't been up there yet but I bet its considerably cooler due to the altitude. This is where people go to begin their climb of Mt. Whitney so there's some camping and trails up there too.

Influencer II

View attachment 27589

Summer time does sound warm.
Do you like to climb rocks? Even half heartedly? The rock formations are super cool to explore or climb on if you like. There are trails leading all around in between the rocks. I was surprised by how much wildlife is in the immediate area. Little rabbits and lizards in the rocks, lots of birds in the sky. I think its due to the stream that runs through the north end of the area. It reminded me of an above water coral reef.

Lone Pine is just 5 minutes away. Its a nice little town with everything you could need, including hotel/motels with a/c.

Whitney Portal is also very close. I haven't been up there yet but I bet its considerably cooler due to the altitude. This is where people go to begin their climb of Mt. Whitney so there's some camping and trails up there too.
Yea, I actually go to Buttermilks to go climbing. But Alabama Hills for a nice camp site.

You have a point with hotels/motels with a/c.. but that's not what i'm looking to do haha

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

We did Alabama Hills and Independence a few weeks ago and it was HOT. We didn't camp at Alabama Hills but did explore around the area. It was hot enough were we just left the truck running most of the time we got out to look at something. We camped across the 395 from Manzanar hopeing that being closer to the Owens would bring a cooling factor...it didn't. That being said, Whitney Portal road is right there to get you up to higher elevations during the day. There are quite a few extra streams flowing down from the mountains as you get closer to Manzanar, but I don't know about camping near them.

The second night we camped at Taboose Creek out side of Independence. It never really cooled off at night there, but the creek was cold for dipping your feet in.

The weather was nice up in the higher elevations on the other side of the valley but there was not much good camping to be found.

I think the key is to get up in elevation. I would maybe look towards Coyote Flats. Or just drive the extra bit of to the Mammoth area. Bring lots of bug spray where ever you go in the area.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I just returned from a 5 day trip to the area between Bridgeport and Bishop and it was pretty hot but we went wheeling every day. Sitting in my X with the AC on wasn't too bad. We camped near Bridgeport, which is about 60 miles N of where you are considering camping, and ran trails between there and just above Bishop.

There are lots of things to see in the area.... Bodie Ghost town is an interesting side trip worth doing. There are walking tours led by the rangers which give you the history of the area. Devils Postpile outside Mammoth Lakes is another local attraction. The Mono Lake visitors center in Lee Vining has numerous displays, a great gift shop and an air conditioned theater that shows an interesting 20 minute film on the history of Mono Lake. The June Lake loop is a very scenic drive (on pavement) which passes several lakes and small towns and is worth the trip. You could easily combine several of these into a day trip.
The canyon above Lundy Lake is just spectacular. If you go up there, drive to the trail head at the end of the road and you will be rewarded with some great scenery.

The biggest issue was the mosquito's. They were FIERCE and I ended up with at least 50 bites! Temps were in the high 80's and low 90's. There is still some snow above 10000 ft and we were blocked from making it into Upper Laurel Lake with snow across the trail just before the top. Streams are running cool and clear and the lakes are perfect for swimming, if you like cold water!

Taking 108 over Sonora Pass got me there in about 5 1/2 hours from Boulder Creek.

ntgbrl

Rank II

Advocate II

There is still some snow above 10000 ft and we were blocked from making it into Upper Laurel Lake with snow across the trail just before the top.
How much snow was blocking the trail when you were there? Im thinking of making that trip this weekend, hoping that a few extra weeks of warm sunny weather has cleared the trail.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

How much snow was blocking the trail when you were there? Im thinking of making that trip this weekend, hoping that a few extra weeks of warm sunny weather has cleared the trail.
There was about 3 feet of snow covering a 30 - 40 foot span. We thought about trying to dig it out but since we were only 1/4 mile from the lake, we just walked in.

You might get through by now but it is still worth it if you have to walk.