Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

Hello all, I am preparing a trek from Salt Lake City to Anchorage via Banff and Jasper, NP, Alberta in a couple weeks. I am looking for trails and campsites along the way and in Southern Alaska. Any resources would be much appreciated.

napacunningham

Rank IV

Contributor III

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cunningham
Member #

If you are heading to Alaska I recommend the Milepost: Alaska Travel Planner. Is it "THE" goto for Alaska.

Also, the Ice Fields Parkway from Banff to Jasper is beautiful. There is a glacier tour around half way up to Jasper we always talk about so check that out.
I would also consider going up the Cassiar highway (Cassiar Highway - The MILEPOST) and returning on the AlCan - or vice versa. We camped at Meziadin Lake on the Cassiar highway. In fact, I think the link I provided for the cassiar highway shows Meziadin Lake in the banner picture.
Don't let people worry you about all the gravel highways. I drove my motorhome and we did fine even though we did have to drive slow.
When you are driving and there is an oncoming truck just make sure to slow down to around 25 while passing. They will kick up rocks. When a rock hit me, I never got a crack in the windshield of the motorhome and I slowed to about 25-30.

Eschoon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

If you are heading to Alaska I recommend the Milepost: Alaska Travel Planner. Is it "THE" goto for Alaska.

Also, the Ice Fields Parkway from Banff to Jasper is beautiful. There is a glacier tour around half way up to Jasper we always talk about so check that out.
I would also consider going up the Cassiar highway (Cassiar Highway - The MILEPOST) and returning on the AlCan - or vice versa. We camped at Meziadin Lake on the Cassiar highway. In fact, I think the link I provided for the cassiar highway shows Meziadin Lake in the banner picture.
Don't let people worry you about all the gravel highways. I drove my motorhome and we did fine even though we did have to drive slow.
When you are driving and there is an oncoming truck just make sure to slow down to around 25 while passing. They will kick up rocks. When a rock hit me, I never got a crack in the windshield of the motorhome and I slowed to about 25-30.
Thanks much. We have the milepost and love the idea of the cassier highway.

yazanabbas11

Rank I

Contributor III

ANNABA, Annaba, Algeria
First Name
Scott
Last Name
OReilly
I just graduated college and I have about $2,000 to spend. I really want to go on a road trip as soon as travel restrictions are lifted. I drive a brand new 2020 Nissan Versa, so I don’t think my car will have any issues going anywhere I want to take it.

Last edited: