Rank I

Traveler I

5069 Juiata Drive, Birmingham, Alabama 35210, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

So I have airlift 5000 bags on my truck since the little ladies bum was sagging. I was informed I should get some daystar s for them. Has anyone gone this route? I looks like the daystar would need to be modified since airlift uses two bolts unlike whoever the daystar was made for. Is even safe? I'm not sure how I feel having one side free floating. One the other hand I dont want to rip them in two climbing over obstacles.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just my opinion which ain't worth much these days is I would get rid of the air ride stuff and find some longer/stiffer springs and some good shocks to match. Just from the pic I can tell you don't have much articulation. Those bags are for towing and hauling loads in trucks and for that they work great. For off road they won't let things move the way they need to, plus there is always a chance you get a stick through or just pop a bag on a trail. Just the way I see it

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Switch over to the Chinese knock off Firestone bags, then add the Daystar spring cups.

They work fine, but I've switched over to more refined Sumo Rebel springs. Stiffer leafs aren't an option for me. Truck is an unloaded weekend ride most of the time. Campers/trailers dictated the extra springs. I ordered the softest rear springs, and stiffest fronts available, for a reason.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I wouldn't worry about having them free floating unless you're cycling over whoops (using them like bump stops) on a regular basis. The daystar cups are like a basket so they align the bag to center on it's way down. No need to worry about them getting sideways on you.

On the other hand, while that would probably be an upgrade to your system, you still have airbags. Which are more suited for load leveling payload than for helping with spring fatigue. If replacing springs is out of the question, a small spacer can bring back the height without changing the stiffness. I will also second the preference for maintenance free load helping options like timbrens or sumosprings that are only connected on top (I currently use sumosprings).