Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So I know a major component of doing any decent trail/rough road driving is to air down the tires. As long as lower speeds are maintained, it’s pretty safe and improves your ride as well as lowers your chance for puncture. My question is, is it safe to do on a wheel that doesn’t have a beadlock?

My Explorer has stock rims and honestly, I’m not interested in swapping them. From what I’ve seen, I’d be hard pressed to find an 18 inch wheel on the bolt pattern I need with a beadlock anyways. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to invest in an on board air compressor or just run with my normal air pressure and be done with it.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I air down on my 4Runners stock wheels all the time. The difference in comfort is night and day. So no, you do not need beadlock wheels unless you plan on running really low air pressure like the rock crawlers do.

Reactions: sakiwest

Kgxpedition

Rank VII

Creator II

Brownsburg, Indiana, United States
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Wood
Member #

Our support truck does not run bead lock and we run 18psi at the lowest do to the weight we carry and Max speeds of 100 if we are running in the desert. The trails we run in the UP are all low speeds and have went as low as 10 psi just for better traction but aired back up after I was through the rough stuff.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

As others have said, stock rims are fine airing down in double digits (I like 18psi on my older 4Runner a lot). I bought a portable compressor and it is awesome without much investment compared to an on-board system. Plus, I like having air to help others on the roads who pull out that low pressure spare tire.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
Ronny Dahl (4Wheeling Australia) has a great video on tire pressure - specifically, he gives a range of pressures for different terrain types. You can see his rig behind him in the video and he doesn’t use beadlocks.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Ronny Dahl (4Wheeling Australia) has a great video on tire pressure - specifically, he gives a range of pressures for different terrain types. You can see his rig behind him in the video and he doesn’t use beadlocks.

Thanks, I’ll have to watch this tonight. Thank you for all the information. I’ll have to look for a quality compressor sometime soon.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Bead locks are a rock crawling thing for when you air down tons for traction and are putting down lots of power and or spinning wheels. Most people who run em do so for cool factor. Only type of wheel I would worry about airing down is the 16.5 due to the less pronounced inner bead ridge.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Bead locks are a rock crawling thing for when you air down tons for traction and are putting down lots of power and or spinning wheels. Most people who run em do so for cool factor. Only type of wheel I would worry about airing down is the 16.5 due to the less pronounced inner bead ridge.
And 16.5 were designed specifically for split rings or beadlocks.

Reactions: Dilldog

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If your that worried about it , break the bead on a tire and get it back on the bead on your own . With a good ratchet strap and a compressor it’s not that hard to get a tire back on the bead . If your not turning a lot single digit psi is not really a problem depending on the tire for general gravel road travel around 18psi works well . I think people spend more time debating stuff on this site than actual application . Go out , try some different psi in tour tires to see what works for you.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

It sounds like the general agreement is that 13-18 psi is the sweet spot. Now to find a good air compressor that’s worth while without breaking the bank.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had this cheap harbor freight compressor for about 6 years now , it’s a little slow and loud but gets the job done it’s done everything I’ve asked of it from stock tires on a forester to 37s . The biggest issue people have with these cheap little compressors is hooking it to the tire before turning it on , it overloads the motor causing it to get stuck and blow a fuse . Turn it on and then screw it Onto the tire And it will serve you well . One advantage of a slow compressor is it gives you time to re-organize some of the stuff in the back your rig , Check over the vehicle to make sure nothing is loose or damaged , Get some good stretches in to limber up your body after sitting for so long.D1512232-A139-41A8-BF40-EC18C9CB99D4.jpeg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I also run a harbo frieght compressor identical to the one above, it works well enough.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I also run a harbo frieght compressor identical to the one above, it works well enough.
After so many years of use it’s definitely getting slower and louder but keeps chugging along . I also took out every screw and added a drop of green locktite just to help keep it from rattling apart .

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your that worried about it , break the bead on a tire and get it back on the bead on your own . With a good ratchet strap and a compressor it’s not that hard to get a tire back on the bead . If your not turning a lot single digit psi is not really a problem depending on the tire for general gravel road travel around 18psi works well . I think people spend more time debating stuff on this site than actual application . Go out , try some different psi in tour tires to see what works for you.
That works great for the bead if its outside the rim if you break the bead inside all you need some starter fluid and a lighter. Another outside the rim trick beside straps is to wedge the tire under your rig and use a jack inbetween to pop it back on.

Real Beadlocks are really expensive if you can even find a set, most out there are fake just for looks. I had to make my own for my offroad buggy its only worth it if you do real rock crawling or race.
20200619_070027.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

That works great for the bead if its outside the rim if you break the bead inside all you need some starter fluid and a lighter. Another outside the rim trick beside straps is to wedge the tire under your rig and use a jack inbetween to pop it back on.

Real Beadlocks are really expensive if you can even find a set, most out there are fake just for looks. I had to make my own for my offroad buggy its only worth it if you do real rock crawling or race.
View attachment 159185
Ya it’s definitely a pain we built 9 of them in a day , that’s a process I’ll be glad to never do again lol