Airing down with Snow tires?

• HTML tutorial
Hello. I didn't see anything about this...but maybe someone here has had experience with this.
I'm wondering if airing down even with these smaller snow tires on a 16" rim could help gain a little traction in the snow and mud offroad.

Is anyone running a similar setup that can give some advice or at least some personal experience?

I've aired down for offroad on taller radials like my 33x12.5 r15's I had on my silverado and even my 31x10.5 r15's I had on my Suzuki...but they both had plenty of sidewall...

These tires don't have a lot...

Last edited:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I air my 33's down in winter a little bit. The one thing I worry about is going highway speeds for extended periods of time, so I air up prior to big trips.
(under inflated tires can overheat and cause blowouts and /or tire fires - usually only see this on big rigs)

For a smaller tire like yours I would be concerned about losing a bit of height and bringing your rims closer to curb height and having them exposed to damage if you slide into a curb.

A friend recently hit a curb with the front of his tires turned sideways and caused a bit of extra damage to his front end components. I gave him the following advice and he said he had never thought of doing this before. I didn't realize an experienced driver was not familiar with this technique......
***Turn the wheels and release your brakes and hit the curb head on if you are going to hit the curb anyway. This way you minimize the damage and quite possibly don't damage anything. The worst thing you can do is hit a curb with the wheel turned sideways to the curb. By releasing the brakes you drive up and over the curb... and once up on the curb/boulevard you can then reapply the brakes. You are sliding anyway so having your foot on the brakes doesn't do anything at that last moment except amplify any damage coming your way.

I grew up driving on hard pack snow and/or ice covered roads for the duration of each winter.... the roads were never completely clear like the city roads I drive on these days.

Another thing to note: ABS increases your stopping distance while giving you the ability to steer in a panic braking situation. This is debatable as to whether it's a good thing or bad thing when a lot of times you simply need to stop and have no escape route.

Stay safe out there folks and slow it down!
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

I air my 33's down in winter a little bit. The one thing I worry about is going highway speeds for extended periods of time, so I air up prior to big trips.
(under inflated tires can overheat and cause blowouts and /or tire fires - usually only see this on big rigs)

For a smaller tire like yours I would be concerned about losing a bit of height and bringing your rims closer to curb height and having them exposed to damage if you slide into a curb.

A friend recently hit a curb with the front of his tires turned sideways and caused a bit of extra damage to his front end components. I gave him the following advice and he said he had never thought of doing this before. I didn't realize an experienced driver was not familiar with this technique......
***Turn the wheels and release your brakes and hit the curb head on if you are going to hit the curb anyway. This way you minimize the damage and quite possibly don't damage anything. The worst thing you can do is hit a curb with the wheel turned sideways to the curb. By releasing the brakes you drive up and over the curb... and once up on the curb/boulevard you can then reapply the brakes. You are sliding anyway so having your foot on the brakes doesn't do anything at that last moment except amplify any damage coming your way.

I grew up driving on hard pack snow and/or ice covered roads for the duration of each winter.... the roads were never completely clear like the city roads I drive on these days.

Another thing to note: ABS increases your stopping distance while giving you the ability to steer in a panic braking situation. This is debatable as to whether it's a good thing or bad thing when a lot of times you simply need to stop and have no escape route.

Stay safe out there folks and slow it down!
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
Thanks for the advice! I agree...holding on the break when you are already sliding only hurts your chances. I usually pulse the brakes and try to steer the best line possible.

I should be clear though. I was specifically asking about offroad only.

Although I usually do drop a few psi during winter on the road.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Ahhh... offroad! Yes! I air down even more offroad in the deep stuff..... around 15 psi. You really need to be able to spread as much weight out as possible.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I air down a little in snow when offroad. Even with my 35x12.5s every little bit helps with traction and increasing your footprint.

I air down a little in snow when offroad. Even with my 35x12.5s every little bit helps with traction and increasing your footprint.
I'm just not sure that with this little sidewall I will gain much footprint by airing down...or maybe just increase my chances of slipping a bead.

I'm running a 215/60 on a 16" rim, essentially a 26.2" diameter.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm just not sure that with this little sidewall I will gain much footprint by airing down...or maybe just increase my chances of slipping a bead.

I'm running a 215/60 on a 16" rim, essentially a 26.2" diameter.
Ahhh... I would maybe go down a few lbs max then... I see you have studded snow tires so I think you'll be doing just fine.... on surfaces you have enough clearance to tackle that is.

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Just my two cents here. In Alaska, we air our snow tires UP, as the colder air will decrease the ambient pressure in the tire. The 'general rule,' is to add 1 Lb for every 10 degrees F below freezing. This is necessary for the (softer) rubber used in a true "snow" tire and also for the studs to work correctly in a studded snow tire. I run the "Nokian HakkapleIItta 8 SUV" studded tire in the winter on my 4th Gen 4Runner at 35 Lbs. They have some good info on there website regarding snow tires, here's their link: https://www.nokiantyres.com/tyres/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/ Like you I thought airing down would be helpful, but I was quickly educated by the tire shops when I moved up here. Hope this is helpful.