Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Hello, everyone!

I am looking into air portable compressors for the road, and keep hearing mention of running air tools.

Now, the only capability I am looking for is to be able to reinflate aired-down tires. Thus, it is the same old sliding scale of minutes wasted airing up big tires in the hot sun, versus up-front cost.

Still, I know I am not going to buy one of the $500 compressors that actually have the umph to drive an impact wrench without a tank. But, would it be worth it buying a model with a small tank so that I could use an air or impact wrench? I don't particularly see myself as bring hardcore enough to be making vehicle modifications out on the road, and it seems like a lot of extra weight (what, 25lb including the air tool?) just to save 5 minutes changing a tire once in a while, no?

But, I thought I'd ask to make sure I am not overlooking some important capability gained by having the burst capacity of an air tank.

Thanks!

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

Truthfully as much as I am prepared for extreme conditions. My compressors spends most of its life inflating water toys, air mattresses and airing up the tires. But I don't run huge tires and 1 vs 4 min to inflate is irrelevant to me.
That being said I have the suitcase arb system, and carry a impact gun.

So maybe this isn't very helpful. Lol.

Using a compressed air tank like for scuba with a regulator is an option too.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

Thanks! Why do you carry the impact gun?
Originally to help me change wheels and cutting edges of plows. I use neverseeze ( let the argument ensue) on my wheel studs, and the impact is over kill. But helps a lot for my friends that haven't taken off a wheel in awhile.

I also have another expensive hobby of collecting antique cars, and I use the compressor for working on them while on tour. I love air ratchets!!!

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

Originally to help me change wheels and cutting edges of plows. I use neverseeze ( let the argument ensue) on my wheel studs, and the impact is over kill. But helps a lot for my friends that haven't taken off a wheel in awhile.

I also have another expensive hobby of collecting antique cars, and I use the compressor for working on them while on tour. I love air ratchets!!!

Reactions: Captain Josh

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Don't forget to take duty-cycle into account. A lot of the cheaper compressors take longer to fill a tire, but more importantly aren't designed to run continuously for long enough to reinflate all four tires. You may need to take a four minute(or more) break between filling each tire, and now you're looking at twice the time.

Reactions: Njtraveler

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Ah, good point! The one I am looking at doesn't list a duty cycle in the manual (I found it online). It does have a thermal overload switch--not that Id want to rely on that to tell me when Im working it too hard, but perhaps at least it should hopefully avoid damage.

Either way, I am having a hard time justifying using air tools. So, I am leaning toward buying a nicer tank-less setup that has no duty cycle limit.

Reactions: Captain Josh

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I have my doubts that any electric oba system could sustain the demand of air tools for more than a few moments.
I have a viair ultra 200 psi compressor (2.08cfm@100psi) and a 2.5 gal tank. Just using an air nozzle depletes the tank very fast.
Since I went to 35's, much slower to fill the larger tires too, so I'm looking at this dual compressor setup and a second tank.
http://www.newmaticsinc.com/Viair_480C_dual_pack_p/48042.htm

Still doubtful it could run an impact though, having had the experience of my own shop and air tools/compressors the last 30 years.
I'll just stay with the battery impact. [emoji106]

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Indeed, when I have used impact tools on small, tanked compressors, it is still a matter of "rattle the bolt off, then pause for 15 seconds, and repeat." But, that is another reason to not bother since at best it wont actually save much time and only a mild amount of effort in, for example, changing a tire.

Thanks!

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Would a decent quality electric impact not be sufficient? I have a Viair 400P and it does great for pumping the tires but not many portable compressors would be up to the task of air tools. I've been looking at the DeWalt Brushless 1/2" Impact. Impressive torque specs with "Up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque" and at $200 (Already have batteries) its much cheaper alternative to buying a high end compressor, tank and having to hook it all up.

Reactions: Njtraveler

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We have the ARB Dual Compressor unit purely because of the reliability and speed of inflation. We do not carry any air tools and have no intentions of carrying them due to their weight. What I will carry is a DeWalt 20V impact driver, but that's about the limit of power tools. I have a 3 foot, 1/2" breaker bar if any big torque is needed.
IMO, buy the compressor for airing up and leave the air tools in the garage.