Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

No experience with the kit you linked to, but I have the ARB deflator and a set of Staun's. Both work well, but I don't know which is faster.

Some day when I have nothing going on I will do a test and record the airdown time for each.The Staun's need to be checked against each other to be sure they are equally set to the same PSI. I think one of them is a couple pounds lower than the rest.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That is a very nice kit. I wish it existed when I purchased my Stauns which I'll be using forever. I set them up a decade ago and they still deflate down to 16 lbs perfectly. I have the ARB quick deflator that I recieved as a gift for a magazine subscription. Maybe it's just me, but I find it much easier, and much more relaxing to just spin the Stauns on. Relax and visit with folks for a couple of minutes, literally two or three minutes, then go about spinning them back off. 16 lbs every time. The ARB quick deflator will be re-gifted.

Reactions: gtomike

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Thanks for the info. I ordered them. Maybe I will do a review after I use them. They look as if they work very similarly as the Stauns.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I find it much easier, and much more relaxing to just spin the Stauns on. Relax and visit with folks for a couple of minutes, literally two or three minutes, then go about spinning them back off. 16 lbs every time.
^^^This^^^ is the way to use these type of deflators. NEVER put them on and drive the rig as it is very easy to catch one on a rock and rip a stem off a wheel. This happened to someone I was wheeling with and it required a long stop on a rocky trail to put the spare on (which ended up having a huge bubble on the inner sidewall!).

I use the ARB EZ Deflator and prefer it as different conditions can dictate different tire pressures.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

They're all about the same. When you get them and see how simple they are, there's really no way to greatly vary the quality from one manufacturer to another.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
^^^This^^^ is the way to use these type of deflators. NEVER put them on and drive the rig as it is very easy to catch one on a rock and rip a stem off a wheel. This happened to someone I was wheeling with and it required a long stop on a rocky trail to put the spare on (which ended up having a huge bubble on the inner sidewall!).

I use the ARB EZ Deflator and prefer it as different conditions can dictate different tire pressures.
I've heard of guys leaving them on-- yikes.. I guess some folks do need to take a beginner 4x4 driver training course..

Reactions: BCBrian

Woodchuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Goldsby, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Cohn
Member #

I've heard of guys leaving them on-- yikes.. I guess some folks do need to take a beginner 4x4 driver training course..
I have driven with my Staun's on quite a few times. Never on the trail, but often times when meeting somewhere close to the trailhead then take them back off once I hit the trail and I'm ready to go. Definitely don't want to get on the trail with them still on and you wouldn't want to go more than a few miles or at any sort of speed while they are on.

Woodchuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Goldsby, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Cohn
Member #

They're all about the same. When you get them and see how simple they are, there's really no way to greatly vary the quality from one manufacturer to another.
In general I totally agree with this; however, I initially bought a different brand of inflators and they were absolute crap. Now I may have just picked up an bum set, but I have had zero issues with the Staun's.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have driven with my Staun's on quite a few times. Never on the trail, but often times when meeting somewhere close to the trailhead then take them back off once I hit the trail and I'm ready to go. Definitely don't want to get on the trail with them still on and you wouldn't want to go more than a few miles or at any sort of speed while they are on.
So then, you're saying that you don't leave them on.

Reactions: Woodchuck

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

I use the Currie EZ Deflator. Its exactly the same thing as the ARB Deflator (I think) just with a different name on it.
I prefer to be able to choose what pressure I am going to run depending on the terrain. Sometimes I will go down to 15, other times 18 or 20.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH