Air Conditioning: Who has it and who uses it?

• HTML tutorial

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've got it, but rarely use it. I'm a windows down kind of guy. I did use it when it hit 104 degrees in Portland traffic last weekend though on my way back to BC, that was a bit much to sit in with no roof on.
When we had our Suburban with rear air, we got in some traffic that was in the 100s and because it had two evaporator coils, the compressor couldn't keep up at idle. I kept having to put it in neutral at stop lights and run the rpms up to keep the air working. The engine fan was howling the entire time.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

When we had our Suburban with rear air, we got in some traffic that was in the 100s and because it had two evaporator coils, the compressor couldn't keep up at idle. I kept having to put it in neutral at stop lights and run the rpms up to keep the air working. The engine fan was howling the entire time.
Did everyone think you were trying to race them?

Reactions: Tim

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

I used to say I'd never get a rig with air...until I got one. I use it all the time. Heck, if the dash reads over 75 degrees, the AC is on. I've got terrible hay fever/allergies (thanks, dad!) and the wife has asthma. The sage and rabbit brush, the pine pollen and the dust here in in western Nevada would just do us in. Besides, it feels so good. IMHO, there's no shame in admitting you're old and soft. :smile:

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
It gets hot where I live, but nothing like where I came from, Louisiana. It's almost impossible to survive down there without one, especially May through September.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Just about the only time that the AC is on is if the girlfriend is in the Jeep and we are going to eat somewhere, Im going to be dressed up for any reason, or it's raining. Every other time the windows are down at minimum, and most of the time top and doors are off.

Reactions: TerryD and Tim

CCH185

Rank 0

Contributor I

When we bought my JKU, I tried to keep it as simple as possible and was looking at the base Sport. My wife quickly ended that as it didn't have AC. Ended up getting the package that included AC, PW and PL. Living in western Colorado, I realize I was delusional to think I could get by without it, especially in a daily driver. When I'm feeling really decadent on the trail, I roll with windows down and AC on to get the best of all worlds. ;)

Reactions: JWOOD and Tim

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Oh, cool. My truck was built for Africa too, cause it has A/C. And YES I use it, cause I live in Arizona, which tends to be hotter than Africa.
And that part about A/C causing dehydration in hotter climates is some kind of British old wives tail methinks. HEAT causes dehydration in a hotter climate. So remember to drink plenty of water when your out on Safari.

Reactions: Tim and Levidale

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Just returned from 6 days of wheeling near Moab Utah and Las Vegas and I ran the AC every day. In dusty situations I keep it on recirc and only lower my windows when I need to hear a spotter.

In LV we ran the Burro Wash trail out to the Colorado River about 2 miles below Hoover Dam on Memorial Day... it was 115'!!
Luckily, the water was about 60', so we set up some folding chairs and a large sun shade right in the river and hung out. I had my AC on max for several hours and never got the engine hot.

Reactions: Levidale

Contributor II

It would have really been handy to have my ac working a couple weeks ago. It was choose to sweat like crazy, or be covered in dust and partially sweaty on the trails with the OBNW crew. Typically I don't use it, I have six windows that roll down and that does just fine. But my wide enjoys the AC.... Now to fix my system.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
It would have really been handy to have my ac working a couple weeks ago. It was choose to sweat like crazy, or be covered in dust and partially sweaty on the trails with the OBNW crew. Typically I don't use it, I have six windows that roll down and that does just fine. But my wide enjoys the AC.... Now to fix my system.
It's definitely nice to have and choose when you use it; as opposed to not having it and, therefore, having no choice in the matter.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Oh, cool. My truck was built for Africa too, cause it has A/C. And YES I use it, cause I live in Arizona, which tends to be hotter than Africa.
And that part about A/C causing dehydration in hotter climates is some kind of British old wives tail methinks. HEAT causes dehydration in a hotter climate. So remember to drink plenty of water when your out on Safari.
I've been wondering about the dehydration bit too. That bit of information came from a tour operator. I guess they could have been saying that people think that just because they are cool in their rig with A/C on they don't need to keep drinking water. Other than that I do know that the A/C on recirculate is great for demisting windows on damp days. Does it do this by pulling the moisture out of the cab?... I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TheOverlandingGoat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro, NC
Member #

I use it when on trails or longer trips, the Jeep runs real well wit it on.

If it's going to work or daily driving stuff, doors are usually off so no air.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have AC and I use it depending on the time of the year I live in Arizona I look at 115 degrees and I have a dog with me so in the summertime I run it but in the winter time I have the windows down catching that fresh air so it all depends on preference and weather and what part of the country you're in