Air Conditioning: Who has it and who uses it?

• HTML tutorial

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

This is a repost of a thread I started yesterday but now seems to have disappeared

Another one those things I've been thinking about for a while... My rig was originally intended for Africa and whilst it doesn't have many luxuries (no electric windows, vinyl flooring, etc) it does have aircon. I tend to use it on faster highway sections during the warmer months. On our last overland trip we used it occasionally in the desert where it was great for keeping the dust out of the rig but also found it better not to. Not using it meant that we became more acclimatised to the heat and it was less of a shock when we got out of the rig. On the negative side it uses a bit more fuel and takes power from the engine. I've also heard mention of people getting seriously dehydrated through using aircon for long periods in warmer climes.

I guess for some this might be more of a seasonal question but I'm wondering who has air conditioning fitted and who uses what I've heard described as the 'plastic air'?

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig M

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@Tim you are all good with this one. Needed to roll back the site several hours to recover and lost a few posts in the process. Thanks for your patience with that.

I use aircon when rolling down the highway but I shut it down for slower trail stuff as it causes the engine to run a little warmer.

Reactions: OwenR4968 and Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

@Tim you are all good with this one. Needed to roll back the site several hours to recover and lost a few posts in the process. Thanks for your patience with that.

I use aircon when rolling down the highway but I shut it down for slower trail stuff as it causes the engine to run a little warmer.
Thanks Chris, had a few beers last night but was starting to wonder if I had dreamt yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
When the weather is nice I roll the windows down and enjoy the day but I use the A/C to cut humidity and when traveling fast. Modern vehicles are designed for maximum fuel economy with the windows up and the A/C on. My Xterra regularly gets 18-19mpg like this and my crew cab truck will do 15mpg on the highway full of kids and beach gear for a week.

I think that's close to what I said last time... :grinning:

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

When the weather is nice I roll the windows down and enjoy the day but I use the A/C to cut humidity and when traveling fast. Modern vehicles are designed for maximum fuel economy with the windows up and the A/C on. My Xterra regularly gets 18-19mpg like this and my crew cab truck will do 15mpg on the highway full of kids and beach gear for a week.

I think that's close to what I said last time... :grinning:
Cheers, sounds about right [emoji2]

I'm a big fan of enjoying the fresh air too when I can.

Reactions: TerryD

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
With dogs and/or boyfriend, it's in the JKU and AC is on. If it's just me, no A/C, doors off with bimini top in the 2 dr JK. A/C stuffs me up.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

With dogs and/or boyfriend, it's in the JKU and AC is on. If it's just me, no A/C, doors off with bimini top in the 2 dr JK. A/C stuffs me up.
Oh for a vehicle I can take the roof and doors off on!

Reactions: britz

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Living in Texas (like most of the South) it's pretty much a requirement here. Even in North Texas the humidity is pretty rough.

Of course if the weather is permitting then windows are down and ac is off!

West Texas is far better as it's mostly desert, but the dust and wind out there will tend to force windows up.

We go up to the Alpine Loop area of SW Colorado every summer and the ac is rarely on there.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Use it work, play, when ever I need it. I am accustomed to the heat, but why not be comfortable when you can.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I've got it, but rarely use it. I'm a windows down kind of guy. I did use it when it hit 104 degrees in Portland traffic last weekend though on my way back to BC, that was a bit much to sit in with no roof on.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

I drive a Rover, so YES to A/C, set to 72 degrees year round, makes it much nicer while sipping a spot of tea and crawling over whatever obstacle might spring up in my path...lol