Air Compressors Options

• HTML tutorial

BearNorth

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Overland member and new Jeep JLU owner. I’m looking into getting an ARB Air Compressor to inflate my tires. Does anyone have experience with that brand and mounting options on the Jeep.

Thanks

Reactions: LostInThought

jcx03

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

los angeles
First Name
joseph
Last Name
c
Member #

Arb is probably the most known compressor. Many people use the dual compressor for its compactness and speed.

Viair is a good alternative, but bigger and has a sizable tank.

I can't speak to mounting options as there are many brands. At the end of the day, it's a piece of bent metal with possibly a coat, and a few holes.

Reactions: BearNorth

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I personally have a Smittybilt compressor. ITs held up pretty well for a couple years now. I don't have it mounted but I may mount it underhood at some point but it will stay cleaner if I don't.

Reactions: Trad77

BearNorth

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arb is probably the most known compressor. Many people use the dual compressor for its compactness and speed.

Thank you for the information. Yeah you’re right it should be easy to install. I decided on the ARB.

Thanks again

Viair is a good alternative, but bigger and has a sizable tank.

I can't speak to mounting options as there are many brands. At the end of the day, it's a piece of bent metal with possibly a coat, and a few holes.

BearNorth

Rank 0

Traveler I

I personally have a Smittybilt compressor. ITs held up pretty well for a couple years now. I don't have it mounted but I may mount it underhood at some point but it will stay cleaner if I don't.
Thanks for the info. I have the same concern for getting it dirty and wearing out quicker if I mount it under the hood.

jcx03

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

los angeles
First Name
joseph
Last Name
c
Member #

I think it really depends on what you want to do. The way I see the differences between a few of the models of Viair vs ARB:

Smaller Viair units (without the external tank), are the same as ARB. Viair 400P, or 300P, are smaller units, and then there's even smaller units but probably can't fill up to what you need.
ARB has the dual unit, which is just 2 units connected internally and faster to fill. $550 or so tho.

Bigger Viair units such as Viair 200 or the 10007 unit have an external tank, and you'll always have air in the tank to use. This will help with faster fill, and you can also use pneumatic tools too with it (to some extent). This takes up 3x the space tho with a tank.

With all that said, I have a 85P for my 33 inch tires and I can only fill up to about 33PSI. It is slow, and hasn't shut down on me yet, but I am looking to upgrade soon to possibly an ARB dual air compressor and keep it in the engine bay.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I run stock sized tires (235/75R15 not exactly stock but pretty close) and run the largest VIAIR they have that still plugs into the lighter port. I can be aired back up and ready to roll in about 10 minutes. In the past I ran CO2 onboard and while that's the fastest I've used it takes up a decent amount of space and once you are out there's no way to refill without access to a welding supply store or some other place that refills or exchanges cylinders.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I run stock sized tires (235/75R15 not exactly stock but pretty close) and run the largest VIAIR they have that still plugs into the lighter port. I can be aired back up and ready to roll in about 10 minutes. In the past I ran CO2 onboard and while that's the fastest I've used it takes up a decent amount of space and once you are out there's no way to refill without access to a welding supply store or some other place that refills or exchanges cylinders.
I agree, the ammount of electric tools that run on lithium batteries makes running an air tank pretty much obsolete. And you can recharge on the go. I dont know of any power tank that can run a impact and a chainsaw.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
I have had my Smittybuilt compressor for a week now. They fill up my 35's just fine. take about 15 minutes for all 4 tires however. I really like it so far.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I have had my Smittybilt compressor for a week now. They fill up my 35's just fine. take about 15 minutes for all 4 tires however. I really like it so far.
For $130.00 bucks, as long as you watch how hot the air lead gets, it seems like a solid deal for as often as I use it.
One quick tip if you're filling up tires one at a time, pull the valve core. I have basically 33's and it takes like 2-3 minutes a tire to go from 18 to 35 psi when I pull the core.
It helps the compressor not work as hard as well

Reactions: Trad77

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
For $130.00 bucks, as long as you watch how hot the air lead gets, it seems like a solid deal for as often as I use it.
One quick tip if you're filling up tires one at a time, pull the valve core. I have basically 33's and it takes like 2-3 minutes a tire to go from 18 to 35 psi when I pull the core.
Sorry if I'm the dumbest kid in school but how does this work? Do you over-inflate and then try to get the valve core back in quickly?

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

Sorry if I'm the dumbest kid in school but how does this work? Do you over-inflate and then try to get the valve core back in quickly?
No, you got it exactly. I have a core puller tool like this one here. I use it for my mountain bike all the time and is really easy to use compared to the ones that come with the ARB air down kit. Typically I will go 1 or 2 psi over my desired pressure and then pull off the compressor connection and put the core back in in less than a second. The best part about this tool is it "holds" the core really well so you don't have to fumble with it trying to get it back in.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
No, you got it exactly. I have a core puller tool like this one here. I use it for my mountain bike all the time and is really easy to use compared to the ones that come with the ARB air down kit. Typically I will go 1 or 2 psi over my desired pressure and then pull off the compressor connection and put the core back in in less than a second. The best part about this tool is it "holds" the core really well so you don't have to fumble with it trying to get it back in.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD
Nice! I will test that. Thanks.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I agree, the ammount of electric tools that run on lithium batteries makes running an air tank pretty much obsolete. And you can recharge on the go. I dont know of any power tank that can run a impact and a chainsaw.
Chainsaw no. Impact gun hell yeah. When my last compressor died I ran all of my shop air tools of of my 20 lb CO2 tank for a while. NOT a powertank. No way I would spend the money they want for a gussied up CO2 setup. A 20lb tank will air up quite a few tires, and run an impact gun for quite a while, same for an air ratchet.

You can put together a decent CO2 setup with a 10 or 20 lb tank for pretty cheap now. Look for someone getting out of the brewing or kegerator game on FB Marketplace and pick up a used cylinder (make sure the hydro test date is good). Should be about 40 or 50 dollars, another 70 for a high flow regulator off of EBAY, then a decent 25 foot rubber air hose. Then when you generic CO2 tank runs low you just go to a welding supply store and exchange it for 20 dollars.

Reactions: 510Steve

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Love my ARB CKMA24 on board. Super handy! For larger tires than 33’s the dual compressor is more capable. As for mounts, check out Rago Fabrications options. They also make a system called the “wifey air” system. Using a manifold you can air up all 4 tires at the same time. So your wifey doesn’t have to wait 20 min while you air up lol.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

New Overland member and new Jeep JLU owner. I’m looking into getting an ARB Air Compressor to inflate my tires. Does anyone have experience with that brand and mounting options on the Jeep.

Thanks
I picked up a Viair 450P (aka Viair 45043)
  • 1.80 CFM @ 0 PSI
  • 100% Duty @ 100 PSI
  • 23A @ 12V w/ Battery Clamps
  • Auto shutoff at 155 PSI (back on at 130 PSI)
  • Includes 30ft hose & pressure gauge
  • Handles Tires up to 42"
  • Relatively fast/quiet
  • Can be found for under $300
Very happy with it. Would definitely buy again.

Reactions: kwill