• HTML tutorial

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
To most of the country, and world, Kansas is a fly-over state only checkered with corn, wheat and grass. While not completely false, there are vast areas with views you will not find anywhere else in the world. This trip through the Flint Hills was a last minute run made by two friends who linked up at Konza Overland. Konza is similar to Overland Bound, and predates my membership here, in that we promote safe and responsible travel with an emphasis in Kansas.

The weekend weather forecast looked mighty pleasant for the first weekend of November, especially after winters first snowfall hit a week before. We had no route and no plan other than knowing which lake we wanted to camp and a collection of points on a map... and we had an extra hour to do it thanks to ending daylight savings time. This is what we found.

A well preserved school house in the prairie. I imagine this is the view a young kid would have had when going to school 120 years ago, less the livestock fence.
IMG_20191102_131533~2.jpg

No trip to Central Flint Hills is complete without a stop at the infamous Teter Rock. This crazy monolith is a monument for the pile of rocks James Teter placed on his land to help guide settlers to the nearby Cottonwood River.
IMG_20191102_145153~2.jpg

Some of the original fragmented prairie remains where no plow could break ground for cropland. These Flint Hills Vistas are hard to beat.
IMG_20191102_155005~2.jpg

Since most of Kansas is privately owned, you can't seek out public land to explore. One way I've found to locate neat old towns and locations is to check out several of the remaining train depots throughout the state.
IMG_20191102_162517~2.jpg

While there are no wild forests to wander through to find a suitable site to camp, Kansas does have many primitive state fishing lakes which provide an opportunity for primitive camping. These little oasis's can be fabulous. We almost didn't make it to camp before the sunset.
IMG_20191102_190330~3.jpg

Winding road and some remaining fall color -
IMG_20191103_100027~2.jpg

The sad reality for many small towns is a steady decline in population. This school house was once the pride a joy of a small bustling town.
IMG_20191103_111528~2.jpg

Many old bridges, iron and stone, can be found among the prairie. I have no idea how the elm (right) and cottonwood (left) held onto their green leaves through the last snow and freeze.
EFFECTS.jpg

This old Garage is one of the coolest things I have seen in a ghost town. I love that somebody is working to preserve some of the history of this forgotten place. This would be a great piece of property to own.
IMG_20191103_112622.jpg

Back road exploration is one of the most well kept secrets of the sunflower state. A few locals know about it and the adventure bike guys know about it. The travelers stuck on the interstate with a tunnel vision destination of the West have no idea what they are missing!

Last edited:

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Seems there would be lots of history in Kansas, it was the wild west for a long time after all. I imagine that some of it predates the rush to move out west and that pre expansion time and the interactions with the native people, and would be pretty cool history to know. Looking for old rail depots seems a good way to find that old history. Thanks for the share!

Reactions: KonzaLander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

To most of the country, and world, Kansas is a fly-over state only checkered with corn, wheat and grass. While not completely false, there are vast areas with views you will not find anywhere else in the world. This trip through the Flint Hills was a last minute run made by two friends who linked up at Konza Overland. Konza is similar to Overland Bound, and predates my membership here, in that we promote safe and responsible travel with an emphasis in Kansas.

The weekend weather forecast looked mighty pleasant for the first weekend of November, especially after winters first snowfall hit a week before. We had no route and no plan other than knowing which lake we wanted to camp and a collection of points on a map... and we had an extra hour to do it thanks to ending daylight savings time. This is what we found.

A well preserved school house in the prairie. I imagine this is the view a young kid would have had when going to school 120 years ago, less the livestock fence.
View attachment 125396

No trip to Central Flint Hills is complete without a stop at the infamous Teter Rock. This crazy monolith is a monument for the pile of rocks James Teter placed on his land to help guide settlers to the nearby Cottonwood River.
View attachment 125397

Some of the original fragmented prairie remains where no plow could break ground for cropland. These Flint Hills Vistas are hard to beat.
View attachment 125398

Since most of Kansas is privately owned, you can't seek out public land to explore. One way I've found to locate neat old towns and locations is to check out several of the remaining train depots throughout the state.
View attachment 125399

While there are no wild forests to wander through to find a suitable site to camp, Kansas does have many primitive state fishing lakes which provide an opportunity for primitive camping. These little oasis's can be fabulous. We almost didn't make it to camp before the sunset.
View attachment 125400

Winding road and some remaining fall color -
View attachment 125401

The sad reality for many small towns is a steady decline in population. This school house was once the pride a joy of a small bustling town.
View attachment 125402

Many old bridges, iron and stone, can be found among the prairie. I have no idea how the elm (right) and cottonwood (left) held onto their green leaves through the last snow and freeze.
View attachment 125405

This old Garage is one of the coolest things I have seen in a ghost town. I love that somebody is working to preserve some of the history of this forgotten place. This would be a great piece of property to own.
View attachment 125408

Back road exploration is one of the most well kept secrets of the sunflower state. A few locals know about it and the adventure bike guys know about it. The travelers stuck on the interstate with a tunnel vision destination of the West have no idea what they are missing!
These are the discoveries which make travel so wonderful. You almost want to break down at the Old Garage.
Kansas is one of the places I have yet to explore.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
These are the discoveries which make travel so wonderful. You almost want to break down at the Old Garage.
Kansas is one of the places I have yet to explore.
While I was in school, history bored me to tears. Nowadays, the forgotten history of a place is what drives my desire to travel. Funny how that works.

After I visit forgotten places, I try to learn a little more about them. Below is a late 1910's photo of Bushong's Main Street showcasing the Garage. Only a few of those structures remain.
1574089407284.png

And the Garage's construction in 1915.
1574090776090.png

Reactions: JCWages and Ashton

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I have been telling folks about my daytrip with the Konza crowd, I really want to come back and do more exploring and check out the old buildings.
Great pics by the way

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have been telling folks about my daytrip with the Konza crowd, I really want to come back and do more exploring and check out the old buildings.
Great pics by the way
Thanks Lance! Don't tell too many people, we like our solitude :sunglasses: Be sure to touch base whenever you venture out this way again.