Aftermarket Thermometer?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I've been looking for a decent thermometer for outside temps to mount in my rig. I'm running into two problems: A) most search results are cheap junk, and 2) the sensor leads are typically so short that the sensor has to be mounted in a place in which engine temperature or ambient heat from the road will create warmer-than-actual readings.

So my question for y'all is this: has anyone seen or used a quality unit that will give accurate readings? Perhaps running the sensor up to the roof would lead to better results than mounting in the engine compartment or grill?

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Have you given a thought into a small weather station like you use in a home. They usually have a remote sensor.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I second the weather station idea. I use the wireless indoor/outdoor thermometers with the outdoor sensor mounted inside my big cooler on the lid. It is for fish/game so meat spoilage in a concern. The indoor is mounted somewhere on/around the dash. I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the outdoor sensor and zip tie it outside.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Xterras have a wet box/gear bin on the roof, I'm thinking I could mount it in there. That way, it'll stay out of the rain. I'll pick one up this weekend, run it for a week or so, and let you know how it works out.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Tricky problem with location for the thermo sensor. As an amateur meteorology enthusiast, I know that weather sensor siting is one of the most overlooked part of an accurate setup.

You won't want the sensor anywhere on the outside where it is exposed to direct sunlight, else it will read like a bank thermometer on a sunny day. But you also don't want it tucked up against the roof, especially on a dark vehicle, or it will be exposed to radiated heat from that surface. Ideally, it would be somewhere under the front where it is shaded and gets good airflow. But that exposes the sensor to road and engine heat.

Those of you with a RTT might try locating the sensor on the underside of the tent where it is shaded, gets good airflow, and is away from body metal that gets direct sun. It is still going to read high sitting still, as the road heat will waft around your vehicle.

I don't know where the sensor is on the 4Runner, but the dash temperature reading is within a couple of degrees of the correct ambient temperature.

Here's my home setup. The unit in the foreground contains the rain gauge, thermo/hygrometer sensors, solar, and UV sensors, with a fan to aspirate the sensors. There is a separate transmitter that sends soil temperature and moisture readings. On the roof you can see the anemometer. This info get sent to my computer, where it is compiles and sent to various weather data collection associations.

64163_255381847880266_1786295412_n.jpg

And here's my portable measuring devices on Clingman's Dome in The Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
527520_381043098647473_1290214251_n.jpg