Advocate III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some advice. I recently upgraded my front bumper on my 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 and lost the use of my stock fog lights. I’m currently doing research on what lights to get to fill the 4 fog light spots. My question is, can I connect aftermarket fog lights to the stock wiring harness so I have use of the stock fog light switch? How would I go about doing it? Do you recommend and video tutorials?

I hope this makes sense and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

David

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You can as long as the lights your putting in are the same or lower wattage. You can put just about any led pods on the market in there and be fine. If its like my colorados fogs its just +/- wires so clip the plug off and wire up whatever lights you want.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The answer is maybe. Would be dependent on your skill set and the ability of your current wiring/switch to handle the power draw of the new lights. Exceeding the rating of your existing harness and switch could lead to fire and nobody wants that - at least inside of the truck. I’d try to figure out how many amps the old lights draw and keep the new lights at, or under, what the old light drew. That said the stuff you are keeping may be “over engineered”. No tips on videos but you can search on YouTube to see if others attempt to answer your questions. Maybe search the forums here and/or post to any Chevy specific forums.

Reactions: M Rose

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Check and see what the fuse for that circuit is. Then check the specs of your new lights, if the combined amperage of the lights is the same or lower, yes. If higher, no. If it is higher you can still use the stock switch to power a relay to power the lights.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Check and see what the fuse for that circuit is. Then check the specs of your new lights, if the combined amperage of the lights is the same or lower, yes. If higher, no. If it is higher you can still use the stock switch to power a relay to power the lights.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Reactions: Flipper

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The stock switch should already be running through a relay all lights do in stock configuration and it will likely be a 40amp like nearly every other 12v relay. Unless someone dicked with it already.