Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I've not heard of crusader overland. Their website shows the tents available for pre-order. I would like to see them at an expo or other event to get a better feel for the product.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I like the weight and the price for sure. Not really a fan of the rack on top. Wish that was an option to take it off for a cheaper price and even less weight

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

What is your definition of affordable? Some folks dont have that kindof disposble income.
Affordable compared to other root top tents. $2,500-$3000 is pretty normal, especially for a hard shell.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very interested to see how these work out. Though, it's probably still too big for my WJ without the mushroom look.

-TJ

Reactions: JButtress

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Just some things I noticed from the video....

I would be concerned about the UV resistance of the shell. The canvas material looks pretty thin or at least it lets a lot of light through. I prefer darker or thicker fabric. The latches are not quick latches. They are more a strap with a spring loaded closure.

The rungs on the ladder are not flat when the ladder is in climbing position... which is not comfortable on bare feet. The roof has indentations on it but when you look at the ceiling from inside, it looks flat. I would be concerned with the amount of storage space inside.... when the tent is closed up. It is indeed lighter in weight than similar hard shell RTT's and it also has a frame for a roof rack. So, where did it lose all the weight?

I realize the OP is probably the retailer/Crusader Overland but he/she did ask for opinions....

Last edited:

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

It will be interesting to read user/owner reviews. Some National Parks with Grizzly bear activity RTT’s or soft sided campers are not allowed. One little hop and Ole Grizz would be on top of that tent like a rat on a Cheeto.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
So what's the price of the tent? Looks like another one that uses an FTP site my work thinks is a risk! I've already seen one hard top RTT today that was $1,500!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So what's the price of the tent? Looks like another one that uses an FTP site my work thinks is a risk! I've already seen one hard top RTT today that was $1,500!
If I had to spend $1500 for sleeping quarters it would take me another two years before I could go camping. As it is a $300 pop up Gazelle is still out of my reach presently. I want to be on the ground but not my bed. I prefer a cot that I can sit on in the day time with storage space under for extended stays. Beside I'm not a monkey any more and don't like anything higher than 12" off the ground. LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hear you @Lanlubber, I'm still a young 49 so climbing in and out of my RTT hasn't been a problem! Once it does become a problem hopefully I'll have an RV or camping trailer!
I do have the camper but I'm limited to where I can take it. I may have to use it and just not get much further than state or federal camp sites which is what I didn't want to have to do. That was before my leg problems, If the VA cant do something about the problem (I should know after the 31st of oct.) I will be forced to use the not so boon docking locations and have to put up with people I may not want to put up with. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I do have the camper but I'm limited to where I can take it. I may have to use it and just not get much further than state or federal camp sites which is what I didn't want to have to do. That was before my leg problems, If the VA cant do something about the problem (I should know after the 31st of oct.) I will be forced to use the not so boon docking locations and have to put up with people I may not want to put up with. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
I pulled a 20' tt deep into the woods for many years while Elk Hunting.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I pulled a 20' tt deep into the woods for many years while Elk Hunting.
I have a 13' Scamp (1976) . Its too low to go to very far into back country or any stream crossing. I'm thinking about having a welder raise it about 4" to make it better for boondocking. What I fear about that is making it NOT so road worth. Like it is now I can tow @ 75 mph easily. I don’t want it to turn it into a kite. It has 4 bolt hubs so my little 14" tires don't help it much even though I have the tallest 14" tires I could find and install recently. I just have a dilemma about using it for anything except mildly remote places. It all depends on what vehicle I use to pull it. Right now it fits the Ford Escape best (lower profile not very off road worthy). If I raise it up I would use the land Rover Discovery. Anyway money plays a good role in it all !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My 20'er had flipped axles wicch gave it close to 5" of lift. I was tryingg to post pictures of the trailer at camp, along with the road to camp... but for some reason my tablet wont let me upload pictures

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My 20'er had flipped axles wicch gave it close to 5" of lift. I was tryingg to post pictures of the trailer at camp, along with the road to camp... but for some reason my tablet wont let me upload pictures
Pictures came through okay. Nice camp and looks remote enough for me unless there is something I cant see in the pic's.:sunglasses:
What do you carry your 4 wheeler with ? Do you camp alone or is wifee taking the pic's ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There were three camp trialers up there. we were about 10 miles from pavement. as for my quad... I built a special tailgate for my ram to support the quad, and built an extended hitch to get the ball out from under the tailgate. My brother made a ramp formhis quad to rest the front wheels on his heqdache rack, and my dad made two trips to bring up his Ace since he has a Ranger instead of amfullsize pickup.the guy in the picture sitting down is my 70 year old dad who cant get around so well. this was also his lastt hunt.