AEV vs. ARB front bumper: Is the AEV really $360 better?

• HTML tutorial

Between these two bumpers, which should I buy?

• The AEV is worth the extra money. Pay once, cry once.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • The ARB is just as good or better. Use the $360 on other parts or beer.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
Howdy all, I have a 2015 JK and I'm looking at two front bumpers.

The AEV Premium Front Bumper ($1320):

and the ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Bumper ($954):

They look very similar and, so far as I can tell, the features are identical: Both have similar recovery points, support the factory air bag system, take the factory fog lights and two auxiliary driving lights, etc. I'm wondering why I should pay the extra $360 for the AEV bumper. ARB gear has a great reputation for being well made, but is the AEV more durable than the ARB?

$360 buys a lot of other toys for the rig, so I'm wondering about this price difference for two markedly similar products.

Would love to hear from folks here who own or have direct experience with either or both of these bumpers. Other folks are, of course, free to give me their opinions too, so I included a poll. :)

Thanks for the help!
Eric

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I voted that the ARB is just as good. But, that being said, I have the AEV on my 2015 JKU. Aesthetically I like them both, with a slight edge going to the AEV. What really swayed my decision was I liked the AEV rear bumper & tire carrier set-up better & thought I would match the front to the rear. That & the screaming deal I got on the complete AEV front & rear set made it an easy decision for me. Either way I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Reactions: JeepWave

Jeeper Jake

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sandy, UT
Member #

Howdy all, I have a 2015 JK and I'm looking at two front bumpers.

The AEV Premium Front Bumper ($1320):

and the ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Bumper ($954):

They look very similar and, so far as I can tell, the features are identical: Both have similar recovery points, support the factory air bag system, take the factory fog lights and two auxiliary driving lights, etc. I'm wondering why I should pay the extra $360 for the AEV bumper. ARB gear has a great reputation for being well made, but is the AEV more durable than the ARB?

$360 buys a lot of other toys for the rig, so I'm wondering about this price difference for two markedly similar products.

Would love to hear from folks here who own or have direct experience with either or both of these bumpers. Other folks are, of course, free to give me their opinions too, so I included a poll. :)

Thanks for the help!
Eric
Selling an AEV bumper right now. Premium with hoop. Where you located?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

By the looks of the AEV it my be hydra formed as the shape is not that of cut bent and welded pieces.

The AEV is most likely US made and the ARB maybe made in Asia and imported.

Jeeper Jake

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sandy, UT
Member #

By the looks of the AEV it my be hydra formed as the shape is not that of cut bent and welded pieces.

The AEV is most likely US made and the ARB maybe made in Asia and imported.
Pretty close, the AEV is actually the only STAMPED bumper in the industry. Not sure on the ARB but the AEV is 1/8 thick and very stout.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Most bumpers I have done design work on are 1/8" (3 to 4mm) thick bumper faces with 1/4" to 5/16" (5 to 6mm) thick mounting plates - brackets and winch plates.

Not sure about AEV but all Australian companies have to do impact testing on the bumpers and mounting of them as will as load testing/rating on the winch platforms before they can sell them in Australia.