Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Has anyone used the AEV ram half ton lift yet found on the recruit? I'm thinking it's time to lift my 13 ram sport and want to head that direction I think but can't seem find any review's on it yet. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I do not have the kit on my truck so maybe some one else can give personal experience.
I ran into a guy not long ago while out wheeling and he had the AEV kit. He said he loved it. he did say it was the only lift he has had on the truck so did not have anything to compare to other then stock. He said he had roughly 15k miles on it at the time and had no issues with it and the kit has been able to handle what ever he threw at it within reason. Seems that it is a well put together kit.
I was looking into it but due to my preruning background i am going to go another way and more likely Frankenstein a kit together with parts of other manufactures that i know i can get work done on easily from shops i have used in the past.

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear it handles. I have my jk for rough stuff lol. Around hear in pa it's not ruff where I go. What do you plan on? Like kings and icon arms?

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear it handles. I have my jk for rough stuff lol. Around hear in pa it's not ruff where I go. What do you plan on? Like kings and icon arms?

It will probably be either king or fox since my bud can rebuild them (has rebuilt all mine in the past). I have used both in the past and had fantastic results. I also plan to go with them since i have worked on them in the past i can usually repair them in a pinch if need be. At some point i will have them revalved to the truck for better performance but at first run stock valving. Once i get my bumpers done and winch and basics of build done i will probably go to eibach and have a set of custom coils built. I have done this with both my offroad trucks and my track cars and it makes it feel much more dialed in. I know i will 100% replace the uca due t the balljoint issue, I have seen them fail on stock height trucks. I am not sure yet on what way i will go. I have seen many people who are happy with zone and maxtrac uca or i may just go with a set up custom built ones not sure yet.

I have built lots of vehicles for on and off road use and almost all of my builds have been severely suspension based. I think my suspension background drives me nuts lol, sometimes i wish i didnt know better so i could just choose one and have fun lol.

I will say the thing about the kit and makes me want it is the fact that it is a kit. All parts in one and r&d to work together. No putting it on your rig and testing and changing.

I swear when it comes to suspension i am a glutten for punishment lol

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Still no updates on this kit? I can’t believe that no one has real experience with it??
I can. Rams are not all that popular of a platform (even tho I am bias and love mine) and you add the fact that aev is not very well known (especially for ram) you have the recipe for no one knowing. Now this does not mean their product is bad. From what I have seen of the jeep and heard of the ram products they are built very well. But even on the jeeps only place I have seen aev is at the dealer as an add on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I would be willing to get the kit on my 2017 if someone wanted to donate the cash. :)

It's been on my radar, but expensive enough that I can't just rush out and add it.

I just added a ham antenna this weekend, and still want a few more things like power steps too.

Apparently I don't have a picture with the lights raised, so here's my dog helping with the new antenna?1522529894043.jpegJPEG_20180819_155252.jpegIMG_20180820_200618.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I would suggest that if you plan to get this lift, look into some upper control arms. The Rams are known to pop ball joints even at stock heights. I have thought of this lift and some aspects I like and others I don't. But one thing is for sure that if you lift a ram 1500 and plan to do even mild off-road you should get uca or plan to soon.

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I would suggest that if you plan to get this lift, look into some upper control arms. The Rams are known to pop ball joints even at stock heights. I have thought of this lift and some aspects I like and others I don't. But one thing is for sure that if you lift a ram 1500 and plan to do even mild off-road you should get uca or plan to soon.
I know this wasn't specifically for me, but thanks for the heads up!

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I know this wasn't specifically for me, but thanks for the heads up!
No worries. I would also add try to use lift coils for the rear. If you want to use spacers for the coils I urge anyone to use limiting straps. I have seen it happen to many times that at full droop the coil slipps out of place. Not a day breaker but annoying to say the least.

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Thats some good hints and tips. Thanks. What offset are people using with their lift? I know aev says +13. Which sucks the wheel way inside but i dont want a super negative so it sticks out to far. Beats the truck up and pa is getting strick with the wheel outside the body. So i was thinking hopefully a 0 would be best. Thinking these. The kmc or fuel. Screenshot_20180814-123533_Chrome.jpegScreenshot_20180623-094032_Amazon%20Kindle.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Offset can be tricky and from what I have seen many different lift companies have slight variations in what to run. It also depends on how wide of a tire you plan to run. Basically you are trying to prevent rubbing at lock and more importantly ( at least for me ) prevent the tire from contact with the fender at full compression ( the big reason prerunners run crazy over sized fiber glass fenders). I had this happen on my old prerunner when I can off a small jump but was just enough to wreck the fender. Imho I would probably stick with or close to the offset suggested for the lift you want. If you are close but slightly over the legal amount of tire outside of fender you could look into stick on or bolt on fender flares. I know at least in California those are technically considered part of the fender.