Aerostar e4x4 van

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

These vans are great because you don't need to do much to them to get them to do what you want.
I had a 2005 Safari Van and it was a beast.. They used to have lift kits for them; not sure if they still do or not.

E

expeditionnorth

Cool van

I had one, forget what year, with the dual tone black & silver color scheme with the Triton V6

we removed the 3rd row seat and built a small platform & drawers underneath back there

cant wait to see what you do

Reactions: RaggedViking

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

These vans are great because you don't need to do much to them to get them to do what you want.
I had a 2005 Safari Van and it was a beast.. They used to have lift kits for them; not sure if they still do or not.
They still make lift kits for the Astros and safaris but they never made one for the Ford Aerostar. But they are coil spring suspension so it's really as simple as putting some coil spacers in there.

I'm a Ford guy but I would have purchased and Astro if the right deal came along but I preferred to have the Aerostar just because of my Ford ties.

Honestly I wasn't even looking for a van when I bought this I had a Geo Tracker that I sold that was my daily driver and I just was looking for something cool and unique to replace it with and stumbled upon this. The best part about it is if something silly happens to it like the engine blows up transmission goes out of it or something like that I have the Bronco to that I use for more extreme off-roading and I could easily transfer everything over to it and have a really cool rock crawling van.

But for now just the basics that I mentioned so that I can drive it to work Toma UTV 2 remote places and do some Backcountry camping out of it without having to take an overly modified Bronco 2

Reactions: RaggedViking

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Very short lived. Not 4x4. Glad it was only $600.
I know better but being it was advertised as such I never even thought to verify. Probably becuase I was so smitten by it. I bought it last night in the dark and drove it home. Now that I think about it hatch should be labeled electronic 4x4 and it has not such badge so I should have caught it Called the guy a little bit ago and he doesn't believe me that it is only 2wd. So I'm taking it back and showing him myself. He was a younger Korean kid fresh out of college and his dad bought it from a car lot and was told it was 4x4. I feel dumb, and I'm sure he will feel dumber tomorrow

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

Very short lived. Not 4x4. Glad it was only $600.
I know better but being it was advertised as such I never even thought to verify. Probably becuase I was so smitten by it. I bought it last night in the dark and drove it home. Now that I think about it hatch should be labeled electronic 4x4 and it has not such badge so I should have caught it Called the guy a little bit ago and he doesn't believe me that it is only 2wd. So I'm taking it back and showing him myself. He was a younger Korean kid fresh out of college and his dad bought it from a car lot and was told it was 4x4. I feel dumb, and I'm sure he will feel dumber tomorrow
good luck, most sales are final

at best I thought it was AWD

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

The good news is 15 minutes from where this band came from there is a Toyota Previa all track. I didn't request to return this thing it was only a $600 Buy but he told me to bring it back and prove to him that it was in fact only two wheel drive and he would take it back so we will see. It is a really clean the hand either way and it's plain hard to find an Aerostar in Ohio that isn't rusted away, I can probably put $1,000 on it and haven't sold for 800 within the week.

But he seems like a pretty legit God he has just been under the impression for the last 5 years that it was a 4 wheel drive van.

Here is his ad. I truly believe he genuinely had no idea
1995 Ford Aerostar XLT electronic 4WD - $600
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5866655877.html

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
The good news is 15 minutes from where this band came from there is a Toyota Previa all track. I didn't request to return this thing it was only a $600 Buy but he told me to bring it back and prove to him that it was in fact only two wheel drive and he would take it back so we will see. It is a really clean the hand either way and it's plain hard to find an Aerostar in Ohio that isn't rusted away, I can probably put $1,000 on it and haven't sold for 800 within the week.

But he seems like a pretty legit God he has just been under the impression for the last 5 years that it was a 4 wheel drive van.

Here is his ad. I truly believe he genuinely had no idea
1995 Ford Aerostar XLT electronic 4WD - $600
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5866655877.html
The previa all track would be a cool unique vehicle. I have a buddy who has the 2wd version and the thing is a tank. Wait until you see the motor/accessory set up though. It's wild.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

The previa all track would be a cool unique vehicle. I have a buddy who has the 2wd version and the thing is a tank. Wait until you see the motor/accessory set up though. It's wild.
I've change the oil on a two wheel drive one a couple of times at a shop I used to work at but I have never seen and all track in person I can only imagine what it's like because the two wheel drive ones odd enough

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

Glad that worked out for you. You always have to be really careful when buying from owners, half of them don't have a clue about what they have, and some just lie.

Jsherris

Rank 0

Contributor I

beaverton, or 97005
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Sherris
So I am brand new to Overland Bound and I am looking to get into overlanding as a hobbie. I bought a 1993 Ford aerostar about two years ago with 212xxx miles on it for the Gambler 500 rally (if you don't know what it is you should look it up} and I put about 400 bucks into it. Rear airbag shocks, new used transfer case, and a complete fluid swap and tune up. Currently I have 247xxx miles and many of them have been horrible Jeep trails and beat the crap out of this thing but it won't die. Currently I have ripped the rear seats and seatbelts out and am converting it from passenger van to camper van. These vans are totally awesome. The electronic 4 wheel drive kicks ass in the pumice sands of Eastern Oregon, and the ice covered highways of mount hood. I have installed oversized 235/75r15s on some old Jeep rims and wheel spacers to get a little more ground clearance. She's never gotten stuck once except an issue with high centering right after I put the spacers on but didn't yet have the bigger tires on. I will be mounting a roof rack and more led bars haha. Any suggestions for overlanding upgrades?

Attachments