Launch Member

Member I

Corona, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Albrecht
Member #

Greetings. Tried searching but may not have used the right terms. I have a 2018 Power Wagon. I'd like to add power to my truck bed. Wondering if anyone has any advice on equipment or videos they'd recommend. I have a dometic fridge and roof top tent so I need some 12v power sockets and usb ports. I assume a 110v plug would be goo too? How big of an inverter would you recommend for Overlanding (I'm sure it depends on gear, but what's typical?).

Thanks in advance

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I am not sure there really is a typical inverter size. It is really dependent on what you will be running. Many (most?) try to run everything from 12V so no inverter is needed. Fridges, lights, fans and such can all be found in 12V. I got by with a small 400W for years for my phone and laptop charging. I now have a 1500W that is built into my portable solar generator (glorified battery pack/charger/inverter). I don't expect to use the inverter much on the trail but it is nice to have around the house for back up.

First, decide your equipment's power needs, both AC and DC. I find it easier to work with Watts as it removes voltage a. Others like Amp hours. Then base your system on that leaving yourself some headroom for growth. If your AC needs are small you may be able to simply get by with a small inverter you plug into the 12V receptacles. If you expect to need a lot of power you may want to look into a separate battery system with a charger and inverter built in. There are many relevant threads on this site - some store bought others home built. The terms Solar Generator or Fridge Power will turn up links on both this site and youtube.

Keep the questions coming. Once you have narrowed down your needs there are many helpful people on the site to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Billiebob

Chi

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange County
First Name
Chi
Last Name
Cao
Member #

Hi, I am doing similar to my truck but slightly different.
I am using LiFePo for the 2nd battery with a small inverter 400w for misc. engineering equipment including computer/telescope. Make you have enough capacity with your alternator, mine is only 65amp (65A at 12V =780W)... As you can see..it is not enough... Ex: Offroad lights on mine are 100W Top and 80w Front, that leaves with only 500w to spare for all others (Ignition, radio w/amp, headlights, and other electronics).

So first thing is Check your Alternator, then work from there...use worst case condition.
My car is a bit sensitive because I only have 105 hp I am in the process of optimizing my system.

Running Frige, Motorize Tent and USB are straight forward if all systems run on 12V DC.

Good Luck

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Mike the owner of OB put in a 1000w Sine Inverter same brand as mine. Read the comments under the video as well for advice from his subscribers.

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy