• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Kansas City, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Martel
Hey Everyone!

Wanting to start my build out on my truck, any advice on what you’d do first?

Little background on the truck and I
-Truck
2014 F150 Crewcab
3.5 Ecoboost 4x4
Bone Stock
-Myself
My family and I this past year bought a off-road camper, sleeping and storage aren’t a really a concern for the truck. This past year we have gotten our feet wet with the camper and stuck to camp sites(electric and no electric). But then coming year my goal is to get off the beaten path and take it more remote.

So with that being said what would you suggest first?
-Battery and electrinics to charge while on the go and have more accessories(about time for a new battery so go AGM)
-Suspension so I can eventually get taller tires. Been looking at the Icon and Fox suspension(stock suspension. Is starting to get worn out)
-other other thoughts....

Odvisuouly I need a new battery regardless so if I don’t go battery and electronic I’ll be putting a stock battery in it.

Thanks for any advice

Adam

5952643F-E186-404F-9986-43EA0AB3665A.jpeg

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Adam, Personally I feel everything has a trade off for me I believe suspension is a wonderful investment can make the experience a lot more pleasant for everyone. However if you have a bed camper you need to be picky about what you put under the truck as you can significantly lower your payload with aftermarket springs. FOX, King, ICON all make good stuff. If you are going to do a lift might as well budget in tires and wheels! If you go with a softer rear spring consider air bags for leveling.

If you are not already planning it I suggest a dual battery solution to segment truck from camper to prevent over use mishaps that can leave you stranded, depending on your draw 100 - 200w solar can be a good add.

Contributor I

Kansas City, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Martel
Adam, Personally I feel everything has a trade off for me I believe suspension is a wonderful investment can make the experience a lot more pleasant for everyone. However if you have a bed camper you need to be picky about what you put under the truck as you can significantly lower your payload with aftermarket springs. FOX, King, ICON all make good stuff. If you are going to do a lift might as well budget in tires and wheels! If you go with a softer rear spring consider air bags for leveling.

If you are not already planning it I suggest a dual battery solution to segment truck from camper to prevent over use mishaps that can leave you stranded, depending on your draw 100 - 200w solar can be a good add.
Thanks for the advice!

I bought a AGM battery the other day that I'm hoping to install this weekend. I figured once we start getting more electrical add ons for the truck I'll get a dual battery setup.

Luckily the camper already has its own 31 group battery. Which we do have a 100w Renogy suit case solar panel to keep the camper topped off, which we could use on the truck as well if we are out for more then a few days.

I thank I'm gonna build out how I want my suspension/wheels/tires and when there are good deals buy it here and there, and then put it all on at once.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
You have a good plan. It seems like your pretty setup as it is with the battery in the trailer and the new agm battery.

Iv always been a big fan of wheeling the vehicle as it is. That will tell you pretty quickly what you truck needs. Depending on the terrain you usually encounter, you might not need a monster lift and 37’s. Ya know?

Now of course who doesn’t want a bigger truck? A 2 or 3” lift and larger tires go a long way and can make a massive difference.

My only suggestion would be to think about some armor. With a wheelbase as long as yours with a full size truck, rock sliders would be a very worthwhile investment.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would stop there. Go take trips a figure out what you need. There are wants and needs and budgets, it’s up to you to balance them all. You’ll never get what you put into it out of it.

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

You’ll never get what you put into it out of it.
While I agree a few trips is called for to understand the next steps and direction, I couldn’t agree less with that statement. I’ve put about $2.5k into a brand new $42k truck, but I’ve also put over 4100 miles on her over 4 months of adventures. I already feel as though I have gotten out of her more than I’ve put in. Life’s about the journey, ya know.

BluegrassOverlander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Madisonville, KY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Brown
Member #

After having and using an F-150 for years now, I can say the biggest change that made the most difference was the tires. Not going larger, at first, or even the suspension. Just good meaty tires allowed me to make a number of trails with ease that I was getting stuck before on all-seasons. My suggestion for any build, literally from the ground up.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

While I agree a few trips is called for to understand the next steps and direction, I couldn’t agree less with that statement. I’ve put about $2.5k into a brand new $42k truck, but I’ve also put over 4100 miles on her over 4 months of adventures. I already feel as though I have gotten out of her more than I’ve put in. Life’s about the journey, ya know.
I am on rig number 4 or 5 over 40 years, had 2 totaled because of the other driver, sold 2 to upgrade. I have never been able to recover the upgrade money or time I put into them. Do I regret doing the upgrade, not for a nano second. $2.5 is a good starting point. YMMV.
I used to think I could get back the money I put into them, now not so much.

Contributor I

Kansas City, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Martel
Thank you for all the insight guys! I know I don’t wanna go to overboard, especially since I may be listing it for sale next April’ish. My wife and I have been talking about the Bronco for the past year now. So once that’s released we may be switching platforms. But in the mean time trips will continue to happen and don’t wanna tear the truck up to much.