Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

So i keep researching RTT's...trying to find the best one. Well I need some real world use advice and knowledge! I was gonna go with a 23Zero mainly due to the large size of the 62 series and the light stop tech. But for one i haven't found a lot of resources for them incase it is needed. For two there are so many other ones out there that for the price point, I don't see why go with the higher price ones. the other one that has had my attention is the smittybilt. I love the idea of having a "sky light" but that also means that is another place in the material to have a problem(leak, or whatever). I have found a smittybilt 2783 for a great price. What is anyones thoughts, ideas, opinions,etc....What kind of real world use experience? Leaks, doesn't provide air flow(important to me), comfortable mattress, things like that. TIA

Reactions: Virginiawilderness

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

On our Tepui, we ended up adding the condensation mat and some closed cell foam for a little extra comfort. We also carry air mattresses to add to the setup when we bed down in one site for more than one night for extra comfy nights sleep.

What ever you get, expect to make some minor changes to make it live able for you.

Reactions: Lil Bear

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Bundutec is best.

But a bit of an investment.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Bundutec is best.

But a bit of an investment.
Also looking into Bundutec King size one, it is investment, but so far all reviews I found were very good.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I've had a CVT (on a trailer), Hi-Vis, Roam Adventure Co and now a BunduTec.

What I can say is I wish I wish I would have went with the BunduTec earlier. Its' pricey, but a phenomenal roof top tent. I have the regular size.

Both CVT & Hi-Vis were soft shell tents, and i'll be honest, the CVT isn't worth the money they charge. Almost identical to most other soft shell roof top tents for quite a bit more money.

I LOVED my Hi-Vis Overland Crag2 tent. It was local to here in the Carolina's (Clover, SC) and its a Veteran owned company and the tents are a great price.

The roam was a hard shell tent, and it had a lot of major issues within a few months, despite me taking very good care of it

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

What I can say is I wish I wish I would have went with the BunduTec earlier. Its' pricey, but a phenomenal roof top tent. I have the regular size.

Both CVT & Hi-Vis were soft shell tents, and i'll be honest, the CVT isn't worth the money they charge. Almost identical to most other soft shell roof top tents for quite a bit more money.

I LOVED my Hi-Vis Overland Crag2 tent. It was local to here in the Carolina's (Clover, SC) and its a Veteran owned company and the tents are a great price.

The roam was a hard shell tent, and it had a lot of major issues within a few months, despite me taking very good care of it
Other then being basically the same as the cheaper ones, was there any other issues you had with the CVT? I only ask because I ended up with one because I felt like I couldn't pass up the deal I got.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

If you ended up getting a deal, then that’s great. 80% of the soft shells are all made out of the same factory in China. So I doubt there’s any major differences. My only issue is the price of CVT’s

Other then being basically the same as the cheaper ones, was there any other issues you had with the CVT? I only ask because I ended up with one because I felt like I couldn't pass up the deal I got.

Andrew McGaha

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
Wish I could be more helpful. Not first hand knowledge, but I researched ad nauseam a couple of years ago. I found Tepui owners to be raving fans, not that others didn't like their tents, but again Tepui owners loved their tents. Ultimately, I chose to go with an OZ tent setup.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Just picked up a Tuff Stuff 4x4 ALPHA . It's a hardshell and has some nice features like interior and exterior lights, decent mattress. good ladder. It has a sky light if you want to pull back the rain fly so leaking shouldn't be an issue. They also upgraded the new models with the window flys so there are three covered openings and oh, yeah, it's basically the size of a king sized bed. I had a soft top Ranger model form TS and quality seemed good for the price. I had an annex but never used it. There is always a discount if you look online for discount codes.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t had my smittybuilt along time only a few months. I have the XL and it’s a good tent but not perfect by any means but when I buy another one I will look for something like the Icamper or the others where it’s a cross between a hard shell and a soft shell RTT where it sets up faster. Not that it’s slow I just like to move around and travel so it’s getting packed up daily. Other than that I’m impressed and I wouldn’t want to spend more than I did without gaining something like faster setup and a aero dynamic shell.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

If I'm ever to upgrade mine, I would go with a hardshell and easy open and close option, whether it be an 12v electric open/close system, or one with the gas strut assist of some kind. That way, I'm not climbing on top of the rig each time just to tuck the fabric back in as well as strap each side down. Less work is much better, especially in the heat or especially when you have to get out and move quick.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

FSR High Country for best ventilation. No poles for the windows either like on every other tent. FSR hardshell for easiest deployment. AluCab or GO Fast Camper for best permanent solution.

Jpilot

Rank II

Contributor III

Lafayette , Co
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

I run the 23zero and it has been great so far. Older model without the light proof material, but I don’t want to sleep much past sunrise anyway. It has a great skylight under the rain tarp. Used it on Monday. Was awesome. It takes a few 4DC2BC52-54AC-4555-912D-D4E27CF85400.jpegminutes to set up and tear down, but not much of an issue as I am still young and spritely!
We use the annex when all 4 go camping, one in a cot down below.